AKAIO+EZFlash3in1

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Sirakou, Aug 10, 2010.

Aug 10, 2010

AKAIO+EZFlash3in1 by Sirakou at 12:30 AM (900 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Sirakou
    OP

Newcomer Sirakou Newbie

Canada
    After looking around a bit, I haven't found any instructions on how to install EZFlash on AKAIO. So, some questions:

First, is it even possible to install it without a Slot-2 cart? Again, I haven't found any information at all...
    Second, if it is, where do the files go on the SD card for it to work?

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
  3. Sirakou
    OP

Newcomer Sirakou Newbie

Canada
    The first question was if I needed a Slot-2 flash cartridge to use EZFlash 3in1. Judging from your response, I don't.

Assuming that the second cart isn't needed, where do the EZFlash firmware files go in the file directory? AKAIO is installed to "E:\_aio" and games are in their own folder in the E: drive. Would the EZFlash files need to go into a certain folder in "_aio", or would they just go into their own folder in E?

4. Eclipse42

Newcomer Eclipse42 Member

United States
    EZFlash 3in1 is a slot 2 card. Slot 2 means it goes into the GBA slot of a DS phat/lite.

5. Sirakou
    OP

Newcomer Sirakou Newbie

Canada
    Yes, I'm well aware that Slot-1 is the DS slot and Slot-2 is for GBA. I'm not an idiot.

I'm trying to find out if I need the Slot-2 Cart in order to play GBA games on my DS Lite. AKAIO mentioned support, but I have no idea if that support goes any farther than just launching it.

So, conflicting answers aside, is it possible?

6. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    They aren't conflicting answers. The Ez-Flash 3-in-1 is a hardware device and contains a RAM expansion which is needed to run GBA games. You cannot run GBA games without this, the DSTWO for example has additional RAM built in which allows it to emulate the GBA.

AKAIO has built in support 3-in-1, this means you can run the games from AKAIO for example:

but that doesn't change the fact it's a hardware device. There is no firmware for the 3-in-1, not in the sense you mean and are looking for.

7. Sirakou
    OP

Newcomer Sirakou Newbie

Canada
    Okay, that was all the information I was looking for. Thank you

8. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    AKAIO does have built-in GBA support but, for me, there were some save issues. Normmatt, developer of AKAIO, came and claimed he fixed them but I know what I'm doing and the game still had problems. Another World, Head of the Magazine Staff here on GBATemp & has worked closely with the AKAIO Team, then stated they had saving issues on v2 3in1's. That's the version I have and the version ShopTemp sells. I'm unsure whether the save problem's AW was referring included my games, but in any case, GBAExploader can play most games flawlessly. The games I was having trouble with were Pokemon Emerald, FireRed, & LeafGreen. I'll test again later.

If you wish to go down the exploader route, download the homebrew with the link tk_saturn gave you in his first post of this thread. Then download the official firmware and take the ak2sd.dldi in the __ak2 folder and move it to the __aio folder on your MicroSD, overwriting the existing file. Run GBAExploader and navigate to your game. Read the bottom panel and press the button to start a new game. The game will execute. Once you done and you've saved, turn off the DS. In the next boot up of GBAExploader, it will ask you where to backup your save. Just choose the SAV slot each time to keep everything tidy. If you'd like someone else to play the game and you'd like to have save slots like you do in AKAIO with NDS games, then simple start a new game in GBAExploader and save it. Upon boot up choose Slot 1.