1. imlgl

imlgl Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Thanks for the update, but why does it tell me to keep pressing B when i load the rom with the new loader?

2. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

Apparently because the loader from here is a debug loader, whilst the loader that's pre-packaged will work like before, with no b-button input.

I made that mistake too, it would be helpful if a note was appended to the first post.

3. rommy667

rommy667 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thanks a lot def the best firm by a long shot [​IMG] im not getting that "B" issue so its someting on your side some setting id say........

4. zebulunn

zebulunn Member
    Newcomer

First update since switching card.. Thank you [​IMG]

5. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising
    Former Staff

I'd say it's probably because it's a private project. What everyone complaining about Normmatt not releasing fixes within a day and not giving "enough information" seem to be forgetting is that AKAIO is not the official firmware. While it's slick, incredibly well written and kicks the official firmwares ass on every level it's still a homebrew project. All the complaints about speed of updates and lack of information should be directing it towards the Acekard team themselves, them being the official team and all.

6. Justin121994

Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    Ok is my cart a fake Acekard 2.1 HW 80? It doesn't say it's a clone when it boots up in RC2 and like before it just freezes, when you boot a rom on a green loading screen. Should I get a replacement? Or are these really clones?

7. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

IIMO i would say you've got a dodgy Ak2.1

IF the 'clone' message isn't coming up & you still having trouble with it 'freezing' - that's possibly the only other thing it could be

8. Justin121994

Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    Oh yeah forgot it has clips. It isn't held together by glue.

9. manaphy4ever

manaphy4ever GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Great thanks AKAIO Team keep moving forward guys [​IMG]

10. nehe32

nehe32 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Yeah, but no..Firstly, not every other coder besides the AKAIO team is stupid, incompetent or can't follow simple releasing procedures. Normmatt isn't the be-all and end-all of coders. If the AKAIO team released the source, then only good could come from it. Firstly, game fixes could be fixed faster, they could then be submitted to the AKAIO team to be included in their next official release (lessening the work the team does), else they could be released on an independent basis (depending on the license that came with the source) and people would know these aren't official and therefore could be buggy. I don't see a problem with this.

Secondly, your analogy is completely wrong. Your statement here "It's because a MAC is built one and only one way, using only one limited set of components" is true but not in the context of the analogy, this is hardware, not software which is what we should be comparing. The reason Macs, in your opinion, are more 'stable' than Windows (don't use the term PC [​IMG] You can compile a version of Gentoo for any PC if you want a full OS that is customized to your hardware) if due to the standardization of hardware, however Acekard's hardware is standardized across all Acekards (well, except for the R.P.G etc methinks), if the AKAIO source was only used to update and make releases for the Acekard then your point is irrelevant. Even if someone did try to port it to another flashcart, I'm sure people using it would be weary of it and not expect it to be as fully fledged as the original, so I see no problem with this. Also, if the AKAIO team simply released a license with the source stating they don't want unofficial ports to other flashcarts then I'm sure people would comply.

That's just my opinion though. I am a new Acekard user and I love AKAIO and respect Normmatt and the team. Also, I believe in open-source philosophies as you have probably detected [​IMG]

tl;dr your argument boils down to, People beside the AKAIO team are too stupid to code properly and will release something buggy and crap. Also, the public is too stupid to handle a buggy, unofficial AKAIO ported to another card and this would cause problems for the official AKAIO team (for some reason) even though it would be pretty obvious the releaser and the AKAIO team are seperate entities

11. afro193

afro193 Member
    Newcomer

United States
  12. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff
    Former Staff

Djibouti
    The Actel 2i's do in fact work with this release. I'm assuming this is AKAIO Team's official stance on the Actel 2i's?

13. bug2000

bug2000 Member
    Newcomer

Iceland
    I guess nobody noticed?

Would anyone please tell me the difference?

14. dmentd

dmentd Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yup.....You only need to update loaders from the site when only a new loader is released. When you are downloading a whole new software update there is no need to update the loaders from the site as they are packaged in the software release.

15. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising
    Former Staff

At the end of the day it's entirely up to Normmatt and Smiths. They choose not to open source it, it's as simple as that. Why not harass the official Acekard team to open source their firmware/loader?

16. Sabregod

Sabregod GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    They're both the same. And i guess people only care about Compatibility Fixes [​IMG]

17. Another World

OP Another World Emulate the Planet!
    Former Staff

Colombia
    @nehe32

you don't know anything about what is going on with the development of akaio. stop guessing and try talking to the devs before you make statements about coding that could and won't ever happen for obvious reasons. the acekard 2 sources are closed, its an issue with a korean release, which you can take it up with team acekard. you mention coding, and if you code, would you honestly want someone else to write updates for your application? you risk the potential problem of poor coding procedures, more bugs, headaches, creating a standardized way to write updates, implementation issues, time tables, user error based on code you didn’t’ write, etc. you also mentioned game fixes, perhaps you don’t know that norm and yellow wood goblin have fixes out within a hour of a rom being dumped (not released). the public doesn't get to see the fixes that quickly because the people beg way to much, probably because the akaio team is very accessible. with begging comes complaints, with complaints come incorrectly debugged bug reports, which waste time. however, this is not always the case. loader updates for previous version came out very quickly. it is only recently when the new “must have” rom is dumped that everyone complains. if you think akaio is the only one in the wario ware/pokemon spotlight you should poke around on some of the other firmware forums. every 12 yr old is bitching about these roms, their outdated firmware, and how poorly made patches do not work.

you talk about the acekard hardware as being standardized but it is not. the ak+, ak2, ak2.1 (all 3 versions), ak2i, and rpg all have used different hardware. in theory the applications work across platforms but this is not guaranteed. hardware differences include anything from a different pcb, a small fat map, onboard nor ram, different chips (for all cards), different msd slots, etc. we understand that the goal of acekard is to continually make the product better with change, but this has not always been the case. think back to the 2.1 fat error, the recent 2.1 hardware faults, the poor state of the rpg nor, etc. all of these things affect the application and may not allow it to perform correctly on each instance of the acekard.

if you want to code your own loader project take a look at the open-sources for the rpg firmware. if you want to get involved with akaio then start a conversation with the devs and prove you can work on the project. otherwise leave the conjecture at the door.

i'm not attacking you i'm just trying to make a point that you are stating opinions without any fact to back them up. i am not an expert, by any means, on akaio or the acekard, but i have been talking to norm, smiths, gelu, and yellow wood goblin, on a daily basis since v1.2 came out. a little knowledge can go a long way, you should idle in #acekard and get involved in the conversation.

-another world

18. Anakir

Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    I'm just curious as to why its so important to leave the clones out? I understand that supporting the original creators of AceKard is important since this firmware is specifically aimed towards those, but it causes more trouble as well since there will be people who want to support the AceKard team and purchase one only to find out its fake in the end; in the end they will complain or be whiny.

But yeah, I'm just curious. I have a legit one so I'm glad I didn't get a clone/fake. I hope the other 2 I placed an order for my friends aren't fakes/clones. I'm not gonna deal with them being whiny if it was.

19. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Thanks 'Another world' for the info (or may I call it backup): I admit I DO know nothing about the development etc of anything but tried to explain why the AKAIO team will never 'just hand out the info'
    Perhaps I could've done it better [​IMG]

20. ShadowLink92

ShadowLink92 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wanna buy an Acekard 2i, just because a lot of people seem to have it. I'm saving up to get one [​IMG]

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - AKAIO,