AK2i expected lifetime?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Blythe31, Apr 15, 2009.

Apr 15, 2009

AK2i expected lifetime? by Blythe31 at 10:24 PM (3,367 Views / 0 Likes) 37 replies

1. Blythe31
    OP

Member Blythe31 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Brand new member here, so don't come down too hard on me. haha. I just want to clear a few things up.
    I've been browsing these forums for the past two days and decided to register. I've taken an interest into the AK2i and investing in a dsi. I'd just like to know what is fact, and speculation about how the AK2i is going to last on the market. Some people have been saying Nintendo will probably plan to release a firmware to block the AK2i. Others are saying that individuals may release firmware for the AK2i to bypass that if the AK team doesn't want to right? Also, what's the expected time it takes for Nintendo to notice the release of the AK2i and try and start to brick it.

I'm just worried that the ak2i wont last long. I'll be trading in my dsl and selling my cyclods evo to get the dsi and ak2i at the end of the month before the gamestop trade-in offer expires, which would be pretty pointless if nintendo does decide to take action soon, but i'm not well informed on the matter.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and sorry if this has already been asked!

2. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Nintendo is already aware of the flashcarts which is why they came out with the DSi in the first place because of it's ability to update firmware. They just haven't done anything to block them yet.

3. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Next update they will attempt to block I would think. Just wait and see. DSi Homebrew Channel could be coming soon.

4. Blythe31
    OP

United States
    So in my case, would it be better to just stick to my dsl where flashcart use is guaranteed and wait for the whole dsi flashcart-nintendo firmware race to boil over? or is it a safe enough bet that I can purchase both the dsi and ak2i without much worry, due to the seemingly reliable people working behind AKIO?

I'm just tight on cash and don't want to be stuck with a gameless dsi when my flashcart is blocked.

5. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    What you should be asking yourself is: "Do I really need a DSi having a DSL?". If you say you are tight on cash, and seem to be interested only in DS games, not DSiWare, then don't upgrade. Besides, AFAIK, Team Cyclops is studying how to run the CycloDS Evolution on the DSi. Selling it now would be pointless. Wait a few months till everything becomes clearer.

6. chazam1337

Member chazam1337 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would also like to mention that you are not forced to update your dsi, i mean they can fight back all they want, but there not just going to brick your console without you agreeing to terms.

7. Blythe31
    OP

United States

Well my dsl is showing signs of near death. haha. So a new handheld is imminent. It's just a choice between a new dsl and a dsi, and the new system is incredibly appealing to me. I'm down to try something new. Only tight on money for the moment because i'm really busy with school and all, but i'll be getting a job soon so I'll definitely show an interest in DSiWare.
    Also that video from team cyclo was posted several months ago, with no recent updates from the cyclo team. I've heard speculation that the may not be able to do it without a change in hardware, resulting in a new flashcart, but that's just what i've heard so correct me if i'm wrong. I'd love it if the evo did work with just a firmware update, but idk how that would work since the evo needs to run in order to update and it wont even read in the dsi.

8. chazam1337

United States
    blythe, i dont know if this is true anymore, but if you happen to have a ds phat, you can trade it into gamestop and you will be able to buy a dsi for the same price as a dsl.

9. Blythe31
    OP

United States

I believe the offer was trading in a dsl and getting 70 bucks off the listed price.
    out here it's 170, so that's another $100 bucks on top of that, $30 short of a brand new dsl.

10. Blythe31
    OP

United States

I believe the offer was trading in a dsl and getting 70 bucks off the listed price.
    out here it's 170, so that's another $100 bucks on top of that, $30 short of a brand new dsl.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Also, I was wondering if there was a compiled list of known problems and solutions for the AK2i as well as common misconceptions and mistakes in setup, or are they just scattered about the forums?

11. chazam1337

United States
    my mistake. i thought it was ds phat, because my friend was going to do it and he didnt have a dsl. gamestop wont care if half the buttons are broken on teh dsl either, as long as you didnt flash it or anything,

12. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    It's true that you need to agree to the terms before it will update. However, if you don't update, you will not be allowed into the DSiWare store. That's something to consider if you're into all the homebrew stuff. Also, this may or may not be true but in the future, if a game supports Wifi, you will not be able to connect to the Nintendo WFC without first updating the firmware.

13. chazam1337

United States
    maybe for dsi only games, idk if they can detect that your running on a dsi or not. i mean i would wait a couple of months, im sure someone will hack the sd and get the dsi ware anyways.

14. Beige

Member Beige GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here's my guess on this whole situation.
    1) The DSi card market is still a little slim on the pickings. Nintendo will ignore it for the moment. Why? R4 was the only company shut down and they had brand recognition. The new 'i' market has yet to take on a high level of brand recognition.
    2) Some solid number such as 2.0 will have a block-out attempt, likely to fail anyways.
    3) When a game gets exploited, homebrew is available, and some moron makes a warez launcher and trashes the scene, then Nintendo will go nuts and attempt to destroy anything unlicensed. This is the most likely reason for trouble, so please DON'T make a warez launcher people!

I'm sure people will flame me for point number three, but I don't care. It is the sad truth about Nintendo and homebrew scenes and it will always be that way.

15. Blythe31
    OP

United States

Points 1 and 2 seem solid enough. I think I will invest in a dsi and take the risk.
    Also.... what exactly is a warez launcher and what does it do?

16. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    i agree ..solid ddude...

...sleep well.....

17. Beige

Member Beige GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It would be something like being able to launch NDS Backup from the DSi menu without a flashcard. Basically hardcore piracy, just like the various backup launchers on the Wii. The Wii scene was awesome and stable until Wads and Backups became easy enough where an inexperienced child could pull it off. I don't care how 'convienent' they make things, we already have flash cards and we don't need to encourage Nintendo. If you understand and agree with me, then welcome to the few sane members of the scene.

18. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Like to mention, it is still unknown how DSi enabled DS titles will perform (remembering those enhanced GB carts that had custom color schemes for certain players) - they may be like other consoles and include manditory-to-play updates, though this would probably be bypassed by any of the i cards to just plain DS only features, retail carts may still force an update.

19. Blythe31
    OP

United States
    dsi enabled ds titles? wont all ds titles be able to run on the dsi, given that they're older games and won't need the new "code" or whatever it is that nintendo put into the dsi to look for in the new games to be released. And wont manditory-to-play updates be a bit excessive? That's a lot to put into for every single game right? Or would it just be for the dsi to be able to play any cartridge in general?

Also, I'd like to clear up what dsiware is.
    It's games and apps that can be downloaded of the dsi shop right?

20. Veign06

Member Veign06 Member

United States
    Yes DSiWare is from the DSi Store...there are Free, $2, $5, and $8 downloadable games.

I think what he is saying about the DSi enabled DS carts is that Nintendo announced that upcoming regular DS game carts will/can have an added/bonus DSi feature included with them...which will not be accessed on the regular DS or DSL.