Embrace the darkness within
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to buy a flash card and can't decide between these two. My problem is not about DSi compatibility, but build quality. I'm concerned about the build quality behind AK2. Many reviews have concluded that AK2i has improved build quality over AK2. Are the differences between these two big? How long does spring-loaded microSD holds up?

And for those who shopped at Shoptemp recently for AK2, how is it? Is it bad in quality?

In short, should I save or spend that extra $2?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
the 2i has a worse build quality than the 2.1. the 2i has contact issues, shell issues, msd slot issues, and msd mounting problems. acekard has never addressed the issues by putting out a 2i v2. the same 2i has been manufactured since the very start. i've used a few that are perfect out of the box, and i've seen more than my share of 2i cards with warped shells or warped pcb cards. both causing insertion problems and contact issues. the 2.1 never had these problems.
-another world

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... That even confuse me further.

So AK2 is clipped while AK2i is glued.

But AK2i has contact issue...... Dang, I don't know which one to pick.

Des_Kaje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The build quality of the AK2i is extremely poor. Whatever reviews may say, trust me, it's the truth. For instance, the GBAtemp review of the AK2i states that it has superb build quality which is simply nonsense. My spring broke after 2 hours (just check "acekard broken spring" on google to see loads of these problems). You can fix it though, but you have to open op the cart and seeing as it is glued you have to use a hair dryer or excessive force. If you want good build quality maybe you should consider not buying an acekard at all.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought an AceKard 2i from GameKool, it came with the spring down so the MicroSD was held in by tension (like R4). And it seems more and more places (at least ones that test the carts) seem to be doing the same, most likely to cut down on returns of the AK2i.

Admittedly this is a poor solution (in that a REAL fix at the hardware level that enables the use of the spring loader would be a good solution), it's a solution that has worked for me since aside from a few times playing around with it, I haven't had need of using the spring loader.

The case itself feels softer than that of my R4, but with a little care (no more than I take with my R4 or Retail Carts) it hasn't been a problem.

There is an issue with the PCB contacts, for the first few months I had zero contact issues, then I started to get them maybe once a week, then I got them considerably more frequently.
I was hesitant t use the 'paper trick', where you slide a piece of paper under the PCB at the contacts, but eventually I gave in and tried it. Solved the problem instantly.

All in all, there are a few issues with the AK2i... but in my opinion, all are minor.
I am quite happy with my AceKard2i.

Arakasi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have had my Acekard 2 (not 2.1) for my DS Lite for over 2 years now with no issues of any kind.
(Well, no issues that are hardware-based, and all my software-based issues have been fixed anyway.)

Still works as great as the day I got it. No spring or contact problems or anything.
I don't know how much different the 2.1 is, but my 2.0 has been perfect.
Although it being one of the cheaper carts, I still highly recommend it.

RandomFox$&

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my ak2i for about 10 months now and I haven't had a contact issue and my spring loaded msd slot works fine. So I think the ak2i is a pretty good card.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really wouldn't rate the build quality of the Acekard 2i. I've had 8 of them and the build quality is very 'variable', however the 5 which are in reguar use still work and the other3 haven't been used (over ordered). Sometimes you will find the PCB is mounted at an angle, which means the MicroSD goes in at an angle or the MicroSD card is slighly to low to get it to lock. This is because there's no central position for the PCB, for example sometimes the PCB can be to far to the left, right or at an angle. I've also noticed they can have 1-2 sides of the cart not sealed properly.

The bottom line is that it's a cart which can't be abused and it's going to be produced in a Chinese sweatshop.

jinqui242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my Acekard 2i, it's difficult to set the MicroSD into the slot. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the spring to make it stick. I also have a hard time getting the SD card out of the slot.

With the M3 Simply, it's much easier - one push and it slides out. It feels like the SD sits out just slightly more, which makes it easier to push. Several times getting the SD card out of the 2i, I end up pushing the whole flash card down and ejecting both items.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...