Gaming AGS-001 with backlit screen - anyone has it?

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
479kSPQ.jpg

If it says AGS-001 its front-lit.

Only AGS-101 is Backlit and they are getting rare because people like me take them apart and fit the screen into a AGB-001

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alot of people are using after market screens instead

I bought a really beat up but working graphite ags101 on ebay for $35, I already had a very good condition onyx ags001
so I just switched the cases and took the black buttons from the graphite shell instead of the original grey buttons(d-pad, a,b, start, select, L, R, power, brightness) so the whole thing is black now
v5l3.jpg

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
attach_53.jpg

i bought a pre-made agb-101. i don't know if it uses original ags-101 screen or not. all i know is its screen quality is on par with my ags-101.

i also have a non-working ags 101 which i plan to transform into a agb-101.

i don't plan to touch my perfectly working ags-101.

Xan0906

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nope, it has the same screen as the AGS-101 with the two brightness settings... the console was NOS and the seller claimed it wasn't modded, and AFAIK this was already asked many times and people always said that you can't mod an AGS-001 with the newer screen anyway.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
attach_53.jpg

i bought a pre-made agb-101. i don't know if it uses original ags-101 screen or not. all i know is its screen quality is on par with my ags-101.

That is absolutely beautiful.

I love the aesthetics of the original GBA design but can't stand the dark screen. Earlier tonight I was enjoying a frontlit Afterburner GBA I bought off some fellow GBATemper a while back, and I just wish it was backlit instead. It just can't compare to my AGS-101 which makes me sad.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
That is absolutely beautiful.

I love the aesthetics of the original GBA design but can't stand the dark screen. Earlier tonight I was enjoying a frontlit Afterburner GBA I bought off some fellow GBATemper a while back, and I just wish it was backlit instead. It just can't compare to my AGS-101 which makes me sad.

yup, i agree original gba has the best aesthetics of all variations. my fingers don't feel cramped anymore.

also GBA has a headphone output, it doesn't use an adapter like in ags 001 and 101. that is a plus too.

it is nearly impossible to effectively use L and R in ags 001 and 101 when the head phone adapter or the charge adapter is plugged to the back of the device.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good point! There was a time back in highschool where I used my GBA as an MP3 player using GBA GSM Player (before upgrading to a DS that could play MP3s natively via Moonshell). Having that headphone port is quite nice, and is really the best way to play GBA games since they output in stereo over headphones rather than the single mono speaker.

Fun fact: the headphone adapters for the GBA SP also work on the DS Phat because they used the same charging ports.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically I believe there are reports of a few late-model 001 branded units having the backlit 101 screen, but I don't know how true that is or how rare they are; still, the question's not completely wrong.

I bought a beat-up 101 with games and accessories last month on eBay for $30. The screen was mint and everything looks great. Still not as crisp as the Micro, obviously, but it's a fair trade for having proper GBC compatibility. After the Chinese wholesalers get back from the holidays I'll probably be getting a blue or red shell to swap on, might even repaint half of it for a more custom look.

Xan0906

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, the unit does work fine, just once in a while it doesn't turn on and I have to try 2 or 3 times before it turns on... could this be a more serious problem? :/

Xan0906

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Here's how the battery compartment looks like, could that give any hints as to whether this is a unit refurbished by Nintendo?

AQCd4Qs.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu