AGBMidi 1.0a

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by JPH, Dec 30, 2008.

Dec 30, 2008

AGBMidi 1.0a by JPH at 2:57 AM (1,510 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    [​IMG] AGBMidi 1.0a
    MIDI Player for the GBA

[​IMG]
    Homebrew developer AikenToAki ahs released version 1.0a of AGBMidi, a MIDI player for the GameBoy Advance. The included converter is quite buggy and picky; make sure that the MIDI files you're converting are Type 0 and use tick based timing. Features list and download link below.
    [​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Man, there's been quite a bit of outbrust in updates for the GBA and like. Well, 2 is quite a bit considering the GBA's been "dead" for quite a bit.

3. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    whats MIDI?

4. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    How is the built in chipset/soundfont? Does it sound like the latest from Yamaha or Roland, or does it sound like a cellphone?

5. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    a type of music file

6. drake7707

Newcomer drake7707 Member

Belgium
    is this better than the midi plugin for pogoshell ?

7. AikenToAki

Newcomer AikenToAki Newbie

Australia
    Sorry about the late reply, guys.. I only just registered here.. but anyway..

Before saying anything else, I seem to have broken AGBMidi, so bear with me as I write the new player. >.>"
    I'm up to writing the sound handling functions and the converter. (Sound handling functions are almost done, just need minor tweaks and stuff, and the converter is yet to output actual data. xD But it can read files just fine (and I've optimized it a bit, and made the code cleaner and added options)).

Kuraudo39:
    As golden said: "a type of music file"
    Though I may add a bit to that:
    A type of music file that can be VERY small (1KB or less) or VERY big (5MB, MIDI+Samples format)

Covarr:
    I honestly wouldn't know where to place it.. I'm almost done with the default sound bank, so I'll place it somewhere on the net when it is. However, I'd say it sounds better than a cellphone soundfont, better than the default Roland synth on Windows computers, but certain sounds are slightly inferior to the Yamaha sound (that is, compared to my YMFPCI card. >.>").

drake7707:
    I honestly don't know.. I only use my own libraries, cos I never really liked using libraries that I haven't coded. [​IMG]

8. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    Ah. I shall wait until you make this sound bank available to use this software, then, as I don't feel like rooting around for a different one to use in the mean time.

Relatedly [sic], I listened to the demo. It sounds WAY THE HELL BETTER THAN CELLPHONES. Not that that takes much, but it means that I don't have to lose all hope in this program before even using it. [​IMG]

9. AikenToAki

Australia
    Well, to make it sound better than phones, all you have to do is have something better than an FM synthesizer.

[​IMG]

But yeah, I'm actually re-writing the mixing routines to make them quality centered, rather than speed centered.
    That said, I'm gonna keep on working on the converter. [​IMG]

10. AikenToAki

Australia
    Minor update:
    Patches 000:002 to 000:105, 000:117, 000:123, 127:000 and 127:016 (0-based) are complete.. meaning that the bank is almost complete... but I have yet to finish the patch-processing thingy in the conversion, and finish off the player itself.

Hopefully, the GBA will still be around when this is done.. *nervous laugh*
    Oh well.. even if it isn't, it doesn't take much to convert the samples a bit and make a DS version.