Question after formatting switch, memory is 22.8 not 25.9

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by cagerhager, Sep 29, 2018.

1. cagerhager
    OP

cagerhager Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    I have been using sxos on 1.0 firmware. I factory reset my switch, but after resetting the memory is at 22.8, not the 25.9 that it initially started with. Is there a way to delete any possible updates or anything else that would be impacting the 3 missing gig?

Edit: Got it!

In detail
    1. Obviously get RCM available
    2. Get these files from here: https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
    -memloader
    -biskeydump
    -hacdiskmount
    3. in SD card, extract the "samples" folder contents of memloader to the root of your sd card and then put SD card in your system. Start system in RCM
    4. inject biskeydump.bin to get the two codes on Biskey #3, both crypt and tweak. Write those down somewhere
    5. inject memloader.bin from memloader folder so your system can be read by your computer under hacdiskmount. Once memloader.bin is injected, select ums_emmc.ini
    6. Start hacdiskmount as administrator and select open physical disk. Select linux
    7. it should start up your information on your switch. Select USER
    8. Insert your biskey #3 from earlier into the appropriate slots on the top and run test.
    9. BACK UP YOUR "USER" at the bottom. Not an option! Fucking do it!
    10. Once it is backed up, create a virtual drive (I selected "I" as nothing else was that drive on my computer) and install. Then select mount.
    11. Open the new virtual dive you just created and select contents, then registered, then deleted all corrupted save files. It returned me to the 25.9 that I had before.

Hope this helps anyone that had some issues like I did. Credits to the following for creating these tools to help out, and those that offered guidance on this thread!
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...icrosd-card-as-an-usb-disk-on-your-pc.503701/
    https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Last edited by cagerhager, Oct 1, 2018
  2. NoNAND

NoNAND No NAND allowed here!

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    The Void
    Hopefully its a nand storage corruption.
    I don't know whether its possible or not to mount the switch storage to a pc.

Der_Blockbuster likes this.
  3. Der_Blockbuster

Der_Blockbuster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    You could try to fix it with Hekate, is there a option?

bartys and NoNAND like this.
  4. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    I've booted up with 4.2 and there isn't a mode that i see within the options. However, I do have a backup of my nand. Would that restore the memory?

NoNAND likes this.
  5. NoNAND

NoNAND No NAND allowed here!

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    The Void
    Give it a try and post back the results

Der_Blockbuster likes this.
  6. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    since i'm on such a low firmware, in the hekate menu, the option for restoring states exfat only and i don't have exfat option....only fat32

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You'll have to update to at least 2.0 to install the ExFAT update.

NoNAND likes this.
  8. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    Correct, can you restore with fat 32 or would an earlier version support fat32?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You cannot restore the NAND using a FAT32 SD card because it is larger than 4 GB. Format the SD card to exFAT and restore the NAND in Hekate. Since Hekate is loaded outside of Horizon, exFAT support is a moot point on the console.

cagerhager, Mouser X and NoNAND like this.
  10. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    So is there an alternative to erase the additional data to get back to 25.9gb?

11. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 16, 2008
    Mount your Switch using HacDiskMount
    Backup USER
    Try to delete all files in USER

Brick (Unlikely) > restore it back.

12. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    It's just 3gb. You'll do alright without them. Easily can be replaced with a sd card. You gotta remember update files to the system is permanent and cannot be removed

13. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    Even if the system has never been updated? I've always had the dns block applied as well. Know it's only 3 gig and normally I wouldn't worry too much, just want to have as much as possible in case emunand gets rolling on 1.0

Last edited by cagerhager, Sep 29, 2018
  14. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    delete the USER on #10? this was a info dump from hekate.

Attached Files:

15. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 16, 2008
    Use HacDiskMount to mount USER with Biskey #3.

16. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I may need some assistance with it. I have backed up everything but due to the bin dumps being on a fat32, they're split so not being read by HacDiskMount, also I have been unsuccessful in being able to mount the switch (no real tutorials on how to mount it). I've put it in rcm and opened HacDiskMount in administrator mode. Any guides you could point me to?

17. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    Another thought was that I tried installing a couple of nsp files a while a go that did not seem to install properly. Is there a way to delete partially installed nsp files on the nand?

18. cagerhager
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    had to mount, I'll keep posted.

Edit: It worked!!! ok for those that need some help with this Here's what I had to do in a bit of detail.

1. Obviously get RCM available
    2. Get these files from here: https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
    -memloader
    -biskeydump
    -hacdiskmount
    3. in SD card, extract the "samples" folder contents of memloader to the root of your sd card and then put SD card in your system. Start system in RCM
    4. inject biskeydump.bin to get the two codes on Biskey #3, both crypt and tweak. Write those down somewhere
    5. inject memloader.bin from memloader folder so your system can be read by your computer under hacdiskmount. Once memloader.bin is injected, select ums_emmc.ini
    6. Start hacdiskmount as administrator and select open physical disk. Select linux
    7. it should start up your information on your switch.
    8. Insert your biskey #3 from earlier into the appropriate slots on the top and run test.
    9. BACK UP YOUR "USER" at the bottom. Not an option! Fucking do it!
    10. Once it is backed up, create a virtual drive (I selected "I" as nothing else was that drive on my computer) and install. Then select mount.
    11. Open the new virtual dive you just created and select contents, then registered, then deleted all corrupted save files. It returned me to the 25.9 that I had before.

Hope this helps anyone that had some issues like I did. Credits to the following for creating these tools to help out.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...icrosd-card-as-an-usb-disk-on-your-pc.503701/
    https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Last edited by cagerhager, Oct 1, 2018