Advice on softmoding a 75001

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by flameo200, Dec 8, 2008.

Dec 8, 2008
  1. flameo200
    OP

Newcomer flameo200 Member

United States
    I've been looking to get my slimline ps2 modded for a few weeks, originally planning to get SwapMagic. However, after reading the forums here it seems like Using an Action Replay to get McBoot seems like a much better idea.

However, everything I keep reading says McBoot won't work on the 75xxx models, which my slimeline falls into.

Is it possible to get McBoot to work on my PS2? If not, is their another way to mod it for homebrew and backups.

Many thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Gerinych

Member Gerinych GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    IIRC you can use McBoot on a slimline. It says that you can't because you can use an Independence Exploit to run the FMCB's installation ELF. Sony fixed the slimline PS2 so that Independence Exploit won't work. I don't think you should run into any trouble with installing FMCB using another method. Also, if you're planning to use a USB stick, beware that not all of them work on a slimline.

3. flameo200
    OP

United States
  4. Gerinych

Member Gerinych GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Well, I don't think that link will tell you how to boot the installer, so take a look at this:
    http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/en_armax.htm

I don't think there's a list of compatible sticks, maybe someone with a slim and a working flash drive can tell you, not me though, I have the fat one.

5. flameo200
    OP

United States
    Alright thanks, I'll give it a go with that method and the current stick I have, just as soon as I get AR max Evo