Hacking Advantages of playing PS2 backups on Backwards Compatible PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCVDChan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Is there any advantage to playing PS2 games on hacked PS3 Fat backwards compatible? i.e. Can you use the hardware emulation when playing game backups as opposed to the software emulation? Thanks!

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes. The CECHA PS3 uses hardware emulation for backups, meaning you get 100% compatibility and it's faster than software emulation. Aside from that, you can just pop any old PS1 or PS2 disc in the drive and play it.

There's a reason they're more expensive and it's because they are extremely nice.

Reactions: JCVDChan

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
According to Sony website backward compatibility for phat ps3 is always limited.
Early PS3 FAT CECHAxx/COK-001 and CECHBxx/COK-001 (NTSC ones) : "Full" compatibility with GS+EE and Rambus memory.
Later CECHCxx/COK-002and CECHExx/COK-002W (PAL) had instead of EE+GS a single GS and lacked the Rambus memory so compatibility is worse.

Anyway you can play supported ps2 games with HDMI and this is a naice feature.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the long run it is cheaper and less time consuming to just buy a PS2 that is not a 9xxxx model and run OPL via FMCB on it.
Especially with a raspberry pi that can be powered by the USB port of the PS2 it is a pretty nice solution.
It has high compatibility, allows patching to 480p and 576p so most games look much clearer than usual and the PS2 will last decades longer than a PS3 fat.
Only the laser of my PS2 died a while ago and I could simply replace it, but that wasn't caused by OPL of course.

With a PS3 fat you have to change the thermal paste after a while and the thermal paste below the internal heat sink can only be replaced with the right equipment and there are people that scam you on ebay that promise you to replace it.
I sent in my PS3 slim and the guy just put 5 layers of thermal paste on top of the interal heat sink and made it overheat even more, it's just not the worth the money and time.
And if your PS3 already overheated and has a YLOD you have to spend even more money for a repair service that reballs your CPU and RSX chip so it gets even more expensive if you weren't careful enough.
The best thing is that your save games are saved on the HDD of your PS3 and as it is encrypted with a console unique key you have no chance to recover it if your PS3 dies except if you hacked it and dumped the eid root key.

There is also a HDMI adapter for the PS2 that doesn't support PS1 games and needs to be powered by the other USB port of the PS2, but still offers a pretty nice output to your monitor if you play a PS2 game.

Last edited by Wuigi,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without an adapter you can't use PS2 memcards on a PS3 (and you can't use PS1 memcards at all)... so, that's kind of a disadvantage if you have old save files you wanted to use. (I know there are other ways around this, but they're not entirely reliable or simple).

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without an adapter you can't use PS2 memcards on a PS3 (and you can't use PS1 memcards at all)... so, that's kind of a disadvantage if you have old save files you wanted to use. (I know there are other ways around this, but they're not entirely reliable or simple).

If you have a PS2 and free mcboot there's methods to get the saves off your PS2 and onto PS3. I've done it, no adapters or anything needed. You can do it for PS1 also but I've never done it only PS2.

Last edited by ,

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NoSoul81 With OPL you can even store the saves as virtual memory cards on your raspberry pi/machine games are stored on, so you won't have trouble transferring the saves if you want.

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

The official memory card adapter (and maybe some third part) supports PS1 memory card and also the pocketstation :-) (there is also an icon for the XMB).

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The official memory card adapter (and maybe some third part) supports PS1 memory card and also the pocketstation :-) (there is also an icon for the XMB).
So, you're just re-iterating what I said... which was, without an adapter you can't use PS2 memcards on PS3.
If you have a PS2 and free mcboot there's methods to get the saves off your PS2 and onto PS3. I've done it, no adapters or anything needed. You can do it for PS1 also but I've never done it only PS2.
I also said this - see the bit in my post that says "I know there are other ways around this, but they're not entirely reliable or simple". As for "no adapters or anything needed"... you need a PS2 with FMcB... which if you've got, stick with that for playing PS2 games and ignore back compat on PS3.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
In the long run it is cheaper and less time consuming to just buy a PS2 that is not a 9xxxx model and run OPL via FMCB on it.
Especially with a raspberry pi that can be powered by the USB port of the PS2 it is a pretty nice solution.
It has high compatibility, allows patching to 480p and 576p so most games look much clearer than usual and the PS2 will last decades longer than a PS3 fat.
Only the laser of my PS2 died a while ago and I could simply replace it, but that wasn't caused by OPL of course.

With a PS3 fat you have to change the thermal paste after a while and the thermal paste below the internal heat sink can only be replaced with the right equipment and there are people that scam you on ebay that promise you to replace it.
I sent in my PS3 slim and the guy just put 5 layers of thermal paste on top of the interal heat sink and made it overheat even more, it's just not the worth the money and time.
And if your PS3 already overheated and has a YLOD you have to spend even more money for a repair service that reballs your CPU and RSX chip so it gets even more expensive if you weren't careful enough.
The best thing is that your save games are saved on the HDD of your PS3 and as it is encrypted with a console unique key you have no chance to recover it if your PS3 dies except if you hacked it and dumped the eid root key.

There is also a HDMI adapter for the PS2 that doesn't support PS1 games and needs to be powered by the other USB port of the PS2, but still offers a pretty nice output to your monitor if you play a PS2 game.

You really shouldn't have the need for delidding. The only reason people do it is for improving performance over the stock thermal paste or compound. Actually, outside the heatsink there is no real need to be reapplied unless if the heatsink is messed with or removed - if the bounds of the paste are not broken, it's fine.

Hi guys. Is there any advantage to playing PS2 games on hacked PS3 Fat backwards compatible? i.e. Can you use the hardware emulation when playing game backups as opposed to the software emulation? Thanks!

Like said here, yes it is hardware emulation. The advantages though are mainly digital output through HDMI, you'll get a much more clear picture, and better game save management, you can just backup your saves to a pen drive.

And PS1 games have the extra benefit of having a software image smoothing layer, although very rudimentary for today's standards.

Last edited by pustal,
Reactions: JCVDChan
D

Deleted User

I think the first generation ps3 fat and the rest of the ps3 line share the same ps2 compatibility since they can both run ps2 games digitally aswell,except for a few games i think.Nfs underground 2 might run better from the disc than digitaly.

The main advantage to the first gen fat is the ability to put a ps2 disc inside a ps3 and have it play.

Last edited by ,

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@pustal My PS3 slim reaches 68°C way too fast with its RSX even though I replaced the thermal paste ontop of the IHS with a really good one with just the right amount and set it to 35% fan speed which is already way too loud but has to be done to guarantee that it reaches that temperature not as fast as it would have otherwise.
My PS2 slim is really quiet btw so playing a game with the speakers of your monitor won't be disturbed in any way.
On a PS3 fat it is way worse as the cooler doesn't sit completely on the underlying chip as it has a convex shape on the bottom so more heat can build up.
The thermal paste in the PS3 is of poor quality and will dry up and will lead to overheating.

It is a really poor design and recommending it to anyone is incentivising that person to waste money.

Last edited by Wuigi,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you're just re-iterating what I said... which was, without an adapter you can't use PS2 memcards on PS3.

I also said this - see the bit in my post that says "I know there are other ways around this, but they're not entirely reliable or simple". As for "no adapters or anything needed"... you need a PS2 with FMcB... which if you've got, stick with that for playing PS2 games and ignore back compat on PS3.

Thats nonsense if you can follow a tutorial you can do it and its perfectly reliable.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thats nonsense if you can follow a tutorial you can do it and its perfectly reliable.
What I meant was, the method isn't 100% reliable for all game saves. If it has been for you, then well done, have a cookie... but I've found that while the files may copy off the PS2 fine, the PS3 sometimes has weird issues (things like rolling-back the last autosave).

Bottom line; if you have a FMcB PS2 (with component cable output and a HDD adapter) it's a better way of playing PS2 (and PS1) than on any PS3... and I say this as someone who owns a back compat PS3.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems you give information that's hardly truthful then someone gives the correct information and here you are the first one to say "you're just re-iterating what I said" or "I already said that" No, you're giving bad information. There's nothing difficult about the method and they're perfectly reliable. I don't buy your saves are rolling back on PS3 either tbh.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems you give information that's hardly truthful then someone gives the correct information and here you are the first one to say "you're just re-iterating what I said" or "I already said that" No, you're giving bad information. There's nothing difficult about the method and they're perfectly reliable. I don't buy your saves are rolling back on PS3 either tbh.

Jesus... I came in here offering a helpful, truthful comment (which whether some pedantic twat agrees with or not, I couldn't GAF...), and that still stands - without other devices you cannot use PS1/PS2 memcards on a PS3/.
I even pointed out (without being too specific) that there are methods of transferring save data from a PS2 to PS3, and was also honest enough to mention that it's not entirely reliable (as I personally have experienced a few errors with some data for some games - a small percentage, but worth noting)...

All of the bickering comments that have been directed back at me are pointless in terms of the OP - does OP mention having a FMcB PS2? No.

I was just pointing out a simple disadvantage of PS2 on PS3 - no native memcard support.

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
This bickering is stemming from an initial miscommunication about how the saves are transferred. Duwen is correct in saying that PS1/2 memory cards don't work without an adapter, and there is nothing against him saying that from his subjective experience, he found the save transfer process to not be as simple as some claim and you can't really change his subjective experience or try to slap objectivity onto it. I can't speak for reliability though, he seems to have had an issue so there is clearly a small (perhaps insignificant) risk of data loss which is necessarily worth noting because it makes things not as straightforward as it seems.

Back to the point I came here to make, the hardware-compatible PS3 from the USA from launch is a perfectly fine way of playing PS1/2 games. [Note that the PS3 without hardware backwards compatibility isn't powerful enough to emulate taxing PS2 games at full speed even with Sony's optimized emulator.] You get HDMI output and for PS1 games you also get some smoothing. With that being said, if you asked me, it is not really as good as playing on a PS2. The PS2 program "GS Mode Selector" allows you to force video modes like 480p, 720p, 1080i or in some circumstances 1080p (this may have been removed for instability? Citation needed) so with component cables, any difference in video output quality is probably trivial. You can also use PADemu to use a PS3 or PS4 controller, wired or wireless, on PS2, and in the case of PS1 games the PS2 also allows for unlocked read speeds (faster loading) and texture smoothing out of the box. Given the lower price of a PS2 and the peace of mind knowing that fat models were prone to problems, I'd stick with a real PS2 - but the bottom line is that while it's not particularly beneficial to use a PS3 over a PS2 for PS1/2 games, the PS3 is a perfectly fine experience for PS1 and PS2 games.

Reactions: duwen

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've missed the point entirely. He's allowed to feel it's difficult but he shouldn't have had an issue with my different opinion which is also subjective that it's not difficult. So basically what he says is fact and everyone else is wrong just because he said something first? Don't think so. Did I quote him saying "I said this" first? No he did that to me.

So it was actual the opposite of what you're saying. He is the one going around saying "I said this first" as if we're not allowed to add in to the conversation a different opinion.

"I also said this - see the bit in my post that says "I know there are other ways around this, but they're not entirely reliable or simple". As for "no adapters or anything needed"... you need a PS2 with FMcB... which if you've got, stick with that for playing PS2 games and ignore back compat on PS3."

Anyway I'm done with this conversation.

Last edited by ,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1