Adrenaline filters?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ValconExe, Nov 27, 2016.

1. ValconExe
    OP

ValconExe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    So, I got Adrenaline working on my Vita, but when I was reading about it, I read something about filters.
    I read what the filters do, and it seems like it would be a nice thing to have. But how do you install the filters? My google searches turn up nothing, so I have absolutely no idea how. Please help!

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    There are 3 filters already installed, AFAIK there isn't a way to add additional filters (yet), at least I haven't figured out any way myself.

3. ValconExe
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    Then how do you choose which one to use?

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Hold down the PS button, then hit the "Settings" buttons next to your base game's name. After that it'll open the Adrenaline menu where you can find various settings, there's a tab for filters.

That's also how you exit the PSPEmu, too.

ValconExe likes this.
  5. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    One thing to note here is that only the official filter provides a flawless picture.
    Especially animated cutscenes from games, e.g. Valkyrie Profile or Persona 2 IS have artifacts at every frame of their cutscenes.

ValconExe likes this.
  6. ValconExe
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    Oh, ok. Somehow I missed out on all of that and everything about the Adrenaline menu. Thanks!

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I've used the LCD3x filter the entire time I've used Adrenaline and I haven't had a single artifact issue with any of the games I've tested :unsure: I can't say I've tested those two games in particular, but I've tested other games like 3rd Birthday and P3P.

8. ValconExe
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    (nub here) But what do you mean by artifacts?

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Basically like...graphical glitches. Google up "Video Artifacts" and you can see some examples.

10. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    The reason could be that I use cso but then the official filter should have artifacts too, so I don't think cso is the reason.
    I also tested it on 8 gb and 16 gb memory cards soo those can't be the reason too.
    And one thing to note:
    I enjoy Persona 3 FES more than P3P even though you don't have full control during battles because there is so much content cut because of the graphical downgrade that it's a real shame to miss it.
    The events besides tartarus feel so dull with the still images as background and only the picture of the person your talking to, it if it has a picture at all.

Last edited by Wuigi, Nov 27, 2016
  11. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Could be a weird compatibility thing with the base game you're using, I'm using Super Collapse 3 so it's a bit "unique" when it comes to Adrenaline lol.

I'll grab Valkyrie Profile, test it myself and see what happens.

12. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    I use Numblast so that could be the reason.
    During 3rd Birthday the artifacts are also not that noticable, maybe it has a lower framerate during its cutscenes that Valkyrie Profile?

Valkyrie Profile also had problems during development of ppsspp as it uses a weird way of showing videos.
    Motorstorm also has artifacts even though it's a pbp so compression doesn't seem to be the issue at all.
    I guess i will have to wait for TheFl0w to come back and improve things, but as I don't use the custom filters that much that's ok for me.

13. Zander1995

Zander1995 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    I recommend the Sharp Bilinear filter, personally. It makes everything look really good without blurring it too much.

Last edited by Zander1995, Nov 27, 2016
  14. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Huh, yeah I guess there is a problem here with Valkyrie Profile, interesting. Kinda looks like a bunch of screen tearing or something, perhaps the cutscenes run at a weird FPS or something :unsure:

15. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I get occasional tearing in GTA LCS with the LCD3x filter, but the improvement to the look of the game far outweighs the impact IMO.

Last edited by Count Duckula, Nov 28, 2016 - Reason: typo