Adding Game Icons for non-steam apps

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So I've been trying to add icons for non-steam apps (like Origin and Epic launcher). I went into desktop mode, selected the app in my steam library, changed the app's icon, background and logo. This doesn't seem to change the icon of the app in gaming mode, they appear blank.

Has anyone tried to do this? Is there perhaps a specific folder for icons used in gaming mode apps? I tried navigating through my files but didn't find anything :/ It's not really a big deal but just don't like seeing blank icons in my home menu.

EDIT: I found a folder called librarycache which seemed to contain all icons and logos used for steam apps. What I did was search for the non-steam app's id, find some photos in the right format and resolution, renamed them according to how other icons were named (including the app id), and placed them into the librarycache folder. But it didn't work.. bah not gonna spend more time on this, maybe someone will have a better idea later. Or hopefully valve will issue an update making this easier :D

Last edited by onibaku,

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Found a tutorial. Pretty simple stuff. I did notice that when you run a game/app and it shows up as your most recently run title, the icon is a bit wider, that one requires its own image as well. So basically after setting the normal library icon, run and stop the game/app (just so that it appears as your most recently run title), then add custom artwork for the wide version of the icon. You can also follow the steps i took in the first paragraph of my initial post so that when you open up a game/app it'll also have a background and logo.

Reactions: Chary

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah not sure but it works when I use that method in the video! He didnt explain about the part with the landscape image of the app, but i covered that in my post. And my initial post covers the artwork when u click on an app in gaming mode :) getting closer and closer to tweaking the deck to my liking, just need to replace my ssd :D

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I also heard that steamgriddb have an app to automatically get icons but it doesnt seem to work currently. Thanks for the link, ill check out the video :)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: the tutorial works for Deck UI in Windows. Even better, the animated icons from the grid DB work! This is so cool! I really wish more developers start using animated banners! They feel like Wii Channels all over again!

Reactions: Xzi and onibaku

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Loving those animated banners! Do they go into the main Steam Deck drive though? Mine's nearly full (presumably from the assorted assets of Steam Rom Manager) I'd like a way for them to go on an external SD.

Reactions: Xzi

onibaku

Lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Loving those animated banners! Do they go into the main Steam Deck drive though? Mine's nearly full (presumably from the assorted assets of Steam Rom Manager) I'd like a way for them to go on an external SD.

I don't know for sure, but I think so. I found a folder called librarycache on the main drive and it appeared to me that all the banners, backgrounds and logos were saved there. Changes and mods are slowly trickling in, hopefully it'll be possible to put the microsd card to more use :D

Reactions: Xzi

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Was about to make a post asking how to do this, I'll try it out during lunch break. Missing Icons was really annoying me in game mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: