Gaming Adding fonts files with special characters for translated games

Carlitos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, all. I'm having trouble finding a proper FNT file to replace with a game I'm translating (Madoka Magica Portable).
It's not mostly for me, but I want to be able to add special characters into the game, such as É, Ó, etc., in case someone wants to translate the game into German, for example.
It's not possible without either modifying the Font file (which I have no idea how to do), or finding a replacement for it
(I've tried multiple games, but most don't come in the FNT format.

Is there a PSP game that has a FNT font file, or at least a way to add special characters to encode unto the FNT file?
Here's a screenshot to show what's in the FNT file. This was done using "decodefnt.exe".
Thank you.

Attachments

• font.png
    font.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 484

elcarajos666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, on my experience, have you found any font image that contains all characters? just like this one
https://fontmeme.com/fonts/static/235933/deltarune-font-character-map.png
If you find it, just open it, and remplace special characters fonts like $ or # for é, ó, etc.
I am not sure if there any psp tool that allow you to open the character font file due to different types of files of every game (most characters fonts are.bin iirc)

Last edited by elcarajos666,

Carlitos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, on my experience, have you found any font image that contains all characters? just like this one
https://fontmeme.com/fonts/static/235933/deltarune-font-character-map.png
If you find it, just open it, and remplace special characters fonts like $ or # for é, ó, etc.
I am not sure if there any psp tool that allow you to open the character font file due to different types of files of every game (most characters fonts are.bin iirc)

Unfortunately, they're not like the image you've shown. They're all written in a .FNT file that looks like each letter was made with ASCII art (not even exaggerating). The .FNT file can't be opened with something like FontForge or any similar program that's used to easily add characters of any kind into it.
It's super weird, and I have to use a program called "decodefnt.exe" to extract this. There's hardly any other games that has this similar .fnt file in there, let alone in English or any other language than Japanese (I think Danball BOOST was a game similarly made, but there's only a Japanese .fnt file, unfortunately).

elcarajos666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Unfortunately, they're not like the image you've shown. They're all written in a .FNT file that looks like each letter was made with ASCII art (not even exaggerating). The .FNT file can't be opened with something like FontForge or any similar program that's used to easily add characters of any kind into it.
It's super weird, and I have to use a program called "decodefnt.exe" to extract this. There's hardly any other games that has this similar .fnt file in there, let alone in English or any other language than Japanese (I think Danball BOOST was a game similarly made, but there's only a Japanese .fnt file, unfortunately).
Well, you could ask for help in vg recourse forums, once time ago i was translating a ds game, the images were .std files and i couldn't find anything about that until someone made me a program just for me for reading the images as .std format.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

About the .fnt file, you couldn't open any file?

Carlitos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you could ask for help in vg recourse forums, once time ago i was translating a ds game, the images were .std files and i couldn't find anything about that until someone made me a program just for me for reading the images as .std format.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

About the .fnt file, you couldn't open any file?

Sorry for the very late reply, this went under my radar for some reason.

Yeah, I couldn't open it at all. I had to use some specialized program called "decodefnt.exe" to be able to read it and spit out the contents into a .txt file.
I'll see if anyone at VG Recourse can help. It sounds helpful.

Carlitos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue has been solved.
I did VG Recourse for guidance, but the site looks pretty dead, so I went to the ROMhacking and got a lot of help.
Now I'm able to "draw" new letters unto the font file.

wings110

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did VG Recourse for guidance, but the site looks pretty dead, so I went to the ROMhacking and got a lot of help.
cant find decodefnt.exe and encodefnt.exe tools,can you share it,thx.
Post automatically merged:

decodefnt.exe and encodefnt.exe tools can modifiy this fnt?

Last edited by wings110,

Carlitos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant find decodefnt.exe and encodefnt.exe tools,can you share it,thx.
Post automatically merged:

decodefnt.exe and encodefnt.exe tools can modifiy this fnt?
Hi there, here's a link to the decodefnt/encodefnt files: https://mega.nz/file/g0F1AI6L#w-jdS5x0MMHc4Nslx999EpLxP5e0wcEkml2WeH-VREs
It's inside the madohack folder.

If you want to use it, you have to name the font file to font.fnt. You need to run the "decodefnt.exe" file first. After that, a file called "font.txt" will appear. If it works, you'll see a bunch of zeros and different entries for each character. If an error shows up in the "font.txt" file, it means that the font file is not valid or compatible with the programs.

wings110

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, here's a link to the decodefnt/encodefnt files: https://mega.nz/file/g0F1AI6L#w-jdS5x0MMHc4Nslx999EpLxP5e0wcEkml2WeH-VREs
It's inside the madohack folder.

If you want to use it, you have to name the font file to font.fnt. You need to run the "decodefnt.exe" file first. After that, a file called "font.txt" will appear. If it works, you'll see a bunch of zeros and different entries for each character. If an error shows up in the "font.txt" file, it means that the font file is not valid or compatible with the programs.
Thx for help!

Reactions: Carlitos

szabda

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
As far as I understand OP did manage to create an fnt file. Does it contain the following letters? á é í ó ö ő ú ü ű. If it does, or even just a few of them, would you be so kind to share it with me please? Im trying to create a hungarian translation for Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Horn of the Abyss, but I have no idea what Im doing with the fonts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.