Hacking Adafruit Trinket M0 problem

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I`d take the opportunity to stick a 4056 and a 250mAh LiPo in it.

It is VASTLY overcomplicated for what it is. I mean, they even have an inductor attached to that (what looks like) LDO. Talk about overkill. Shame they put such a crap cell in it.
You have any opinion on why they would make it so overbuilt? I think its probably safe to assume the design is probably kicking around chinese forums since so many variations of this board popped up at once. There's a version with 2 capacitors in place of battery floating about as well. Im thinking that maybe someone just tried to adapt that design to LiPos to save money or something.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I`d take the opportunity to stick a 4056 and a 250mAh LiPo in it.
I'm gonna put a button cell holder I think

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have any opinion on why they would make it so overbuilt? I think its probably safe to assume the design is probably kicking around chinese forums since so many variations of this board popped up at once. There's a version with 2 capacitors in place of battery floating about as well. Im thinking that maybe someone just tried to adapt that design to LiPos to save money or something.

No idea. Thats the type of circuit you would build if you are using a dirty unfiltered switch-mode wall-wart (dc adapter) by the looks of it.
Maybe thats what it was for.

At least USB power should be semi-clean, therefore that is not necessary.

Might be to filter out square-wave harmonics or something. Who knows?

I`m still not convinced about that crystal though.

I'm gonna put a button cell holder I think

Just make sure it can`t charge it! :)

Keep us posted! At least it semi works...

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So for OP and the others who have commented in this thread with the same problem, just removing the battery then flashing it and replacing the battery will be infinitely easier than desoldering and soldering those tiny smd resistors. Obviously not an ideal solution but so far that's my best suggestion.
Seems the crappy old batteries they used have enough juice to send the payload, but they're leeching all the power from the microcontroller and causing brownout when attached to a computer (Take that explanation with a grain of salt).

An easier solution would be to follow @duckbill007 advice (thanks BTW) and use ctcaer's python script to modify the payload you need to boot. It is available here.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, , Reason: added link to script

sheg0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
An easier solution would be to follow @duckbill007 advice (thanks BTW) and use ctcaer's python script to modify the payload you need to boot. It is available here.
Could you provide a link? I don't know this script. It converts hekate bin-file to a dat-file, which we can load via the SX loader? I only used hekate so far :D

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: sheg0

johnybjb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So for OP and the others who have commented in this thread with the same problem, just removing the battery then flashing it and replacing the battery will be infinitely easier than desoldering and soldering those tiny smd resistors. Obviously not an ideal solution but so far that's my best suggestion.
Seems the crappy old batteries they used have enough juice to send the payload, but they're leeching all the power from the microcontroller and causing brownout when attached to a computer (Take that explanation with a grain of salt).

Thanks. Removed the postive battery pin and now it doesnt cycle connecting / disconnecting. But doesnt show up on the PC, constant red light but no device detected. Any other thoughts before this goes in the bin?

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. Removed the postive battery pin and now it doesnt cycle connecting / disconnecting. But doesnt show up on the PC, constant red light but no device detected. Any other thoughts before this goes in the bin?

Replace battery.

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
constant red light but no device detected. Any other thoughts before this goes in the bin?
That's the way it's supposed to work. To have it show up as a disk drive you need to press the reset button twice in succession while plugged into the usb port. To flash the device you need to install the Arduino IDE and clone the github repo, although you may not need to do this. All I had to do was just press the button twice.

My personal device would not charge or even have enough power to send the payload after I changed the payload. I suspect everyone elses (in this thread) may be the same. If your device is suddenly not doing anything at all (and it worked previously) it may be that your battery has just been depleted at this point.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, , Reason: more details

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on a second ,,
You talk about adafruit M0 but show a cheap chinese dongle rip off

That is not a adafruit m0

Also with some programming, a long cable can fck you. try a shorter one or another port pref a back port, rather then a addon usb board..

But get what you pay for i guess.. if it dont work get a refund, is it really worth the hassle ?

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: DayVeeBoi and sheg0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff