Activision Gripes About ModernWarfare3.com

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EKHWpK_24o[/youtube]​
Activision filed a domain-name dispute with National Arbitration Forum on Friday over ModernWarfare3.com, a gag website attempting to convert Modern Warfare 3 fans to EA's Battlefield 3.

Activision argues that the person behind ModernWarfare3.com "has no right or legitimate interest in the Domain Name," a violation of the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy, and wants the site under its own control. Activision has provided the panel with a two-page list of Modern Warfare's accomplishments as evidence of its right to the domain, or perhaps because it wants to see its "Best Shooter" award from CNN.com in writing. Activision claims the site contains copyrighted material, including the style of its Modern Warfare 3 header, and that the owner "supports the game Battlefield," quoting that it "urges visitors to 'grow up and forgettabout Modern Warfare 3 (because it looks just like Modern Warfare 2) and buy Battlefield 3 instead.'"

ModernWarfare3.com was purchased on March 26, 2009, almost two years before Modern Warfare 3 was officially announced, and until recently the website redirected users to Battlefield3.com. Currently its front page reads, "Warning: this website is under seige," with the above clip from Monty Python's Life of Brian re-dubbed to bash Modern Warfare 3.[/p]

Source

TL;DR Activision doesn't like that www.modernwarfare3.com redirected to EA's Battlefield website for the reasons stated above. It now has a header with the title "Warning: this website is under siege" and clip from Monty Python's Life of Brian re-dubbed to bash Modern Warfare 3, shown above.

Whoever registered that domain is a cool kid.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This video is fucking funny. I'll give the original (Monty Phyton) another chance, since the first time I saw I was bored to hell.

Anyway, this CoD bash is stupid. The game will be successful, there's no doubt about that.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I gotta say is let's not dub over Monty Python.

While it's humiliating to them that this has happened I don't blame Activision for doing everything they can to gain control of this domain with the launch coming up.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That is just hilarious. Check out this guys other videos too. I hope Activision doesn't get the domain, nothing against them but he did register it first so it's rightfully his. Besides, can't all the fanboys just go to the CoD website? It's got it's own MW3 page so shouldn't that be enough? Or do they really need a whole website? Why can't Activision just register CoD-MW3.com? AFAIK that isn't taken.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That video was pretty funny, it made me laugh at least.

Though...I really would have expected Activision to have registered MW 1-10 already, it's their own fault.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Activision should stop crying about people bashing their games and actually make a good game for a change.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
CarbonX13 said:
Well said. Here's hoping that Activision kills off Call of Duty like they did with Guitar Hero.
I must really be behind the times. I didn't know Guitar Hero was dead.

Activision has no plans for making a Guitar Hero in 2011, and unless interest spikes, they are done with the series. It was a needed death. Guitar Hero went to crap post GH3.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Maybe Activision should stop crying about people bashing their games and actually make a good game for a change.

Why would they do that? They're making max profit for minimal work. It's more "hardcore"(read:more casuals who play only one game) gamers who allow them to do this.

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Battle...field........3
tumblr_lg7lpxmA8z1qafrh6.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's Activision's fault for being retarded enough to not register such an obvious site name. Companies register tons of domain names that are remotely related to a product, the fact that Activision didn't is a joke.

I'm just surprised it's not a pay-to-click site.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, :creep: