Action-RPGs / Hack and slash you'd recommend?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by ThriLL, Mar 22, 2009.

Mar 22, 2009
  1. ThriLL
    OP

Newcomer ThriLL Advanced Member

United States
    I have Phantasia, Shining Soul 1, and 2, MMBN (series). Any games you guys would recommend?

I already checked out the essentials list btw.

2. boxcarnathan

Newcomer boxcarnathan Member

United States
    Summon Night Sword craft story, the second one rocks the house and the first one is okay, think phantasia graphics and dark cloud weapon creation. in short AWESOME

3. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I also recommend Summon Nights Swordcraft story.

I liked both equally, but the 2nd game was slightly better imo.

4. Ventus

Newcomer Ventus Member

Sweden
    Sword of Mana

5. X D D X

Member X D D X GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    DBZ Legacy of Goku 2 (Don't play 1) and DBZ Buu's fury fit into this genre i believe. Both are great games.

6. Lubbo

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    Golden Sun Hands Down

7. Asherform

Newcomer Asherform Member

United Kingdom
    It's not an ARPG.

I think you should skip legacy of goku two and go straight to buus fury, so much more content and hours in it.

8. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I agree Buu's Fury is good, but it's WAY too easy. Seriously, leveling up in that game is the most pathetically easy task I've ever seen in a game. You can make it even easier by wearing weighted clothing which easily multiplies the amount of experience (and just turn Super Saiyan to regain lost speed). I can't remember dying once in that game. And it doesn't help that they made the combat easier too. Enemies rarely attack and you can corner them against a wall and they won't bounce back from the wall like LOG2. The Super Saiyan modes also are made easier. Your transformations can last a really long time later in the game and they no longer leach off the KI meter, meaning even if you run out of SS power, you can still throw KI blasts. And then you can transform back to SS in a few seconds once the triangle meter fills up. A good and somewhat lengthy game, but it's dead easy. I still like it though. Legacy of Goku 2 is much harder. Both games are excellent and faithful game adaptations of the anime sagas they include.

Other good action RPG hack n slash GBA games are-

Sword of Mana (remake of Final Fantasy Adventure on GB)
    Boktai 1-3 (you can find sunlight patches online, and Boktai 3 has been translated by a fan)

Then there's Cima The Enemy, also called Frontier Stories in Japan. I'm mixed on it. A lot of people consider it an underrated sleeper hit. And it is generally not well known. It's decent, but I didn't much like the hand holding they forced onto you. You have to guide people around the levels and protect them from monsters. It gets annoying. At least try it out though. You might like it. Others certainly did, I just didn't much.

I believe Lord of the Rings Two Towers and Return of the King count as action RPG hack n slash games. They are pretty decent.

Sigma Star Saga is a hybrid of action RPG and sidescrolling space shooter. I enjoyed it, but it's love or hate among gamers.

Then there are Castlevania and other similar games. These I consider action RPG hack n slash even though they are sidescrolling. You still level up, equip weapons and spells, and slash beasts. If you consider them, you have three Castlevania games to choose. Aria of Sorrow is the best among them, being amazingly close to Symphony of the Night. I also personally liked Harmony of Dissonance except for the sad reduction in sound quality compared to the other two. I found Circle of the Moon the hardest but most bland of the three games. But most people like it, so perhaps my opinion isn't any good in that matter.

Also, there are two similar games to castlevania- Shaman King Master of Spirits 1 and 2. Both are quite decent Castlevania ripoffs.

9. Xlr0

Newcomer Xlr0 Member

United States
    Boktai 2 if you can get your hands on it.