Acekard R.P.G. loader 4.01 released & Open Source!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Sep 22, 2007.

1. THeLL

THeLL GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2004
    Netherlands
    Why is Gbatemp hyping the RPG Acekard so much? They constantly control the news and frontpage here @ gbatemp and the news about it has subjective terms in it that shouldn't be in a newspost....

2. Emu

Emu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2006
    United States
    Traverse City, MI
    I feel kinda weird seeing all these people with multiple slot-1s wanting this new one.. Like.. I have my R4 and that's good for me. Why would I want another one? Each one gets better with each release.

3. go185

go185 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2006
    Whenever a new flashcart gets released, there is always news articles on the front page about it (INCLUDING the R4, to make the R4 fanboys happy)

4. Raisingod

Raisingod GBAtemp Fan

Apr 19, 2007
    Iceland
    It got some dodgy parts but not that bad ( already managed to understand alot of the GUI mechanisem and its quite nice) also it isn't a bad code its just that it isn't commented and got some bad C++ habits ( declartion everywhere makes it hard to keep track).But I guess this is what you ger when a non open-source compeney releases the code ( I did say the first community project is commenting)

Anyway thanks AceKard team for the source [​IMG] .

P.S I have a theoraticly semi working Moonshell button for the GUI ( haven't got an AceKard to test it) which could be used as a shortcut mechanisem basics [​IMG]

5. mastertop101

mastertop101 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2005
    Canada
    In a few minutes... riiiiiiiiiiiiight

6. Raisingod

Raisingod GBAtemp Fan

Apr 19, 2007
    Iceland
    Why being so skeptical, there are some really nifty things that can be done in a matter of minutes (providing a good programmer is writing it) . If you have looked into the source code you would have known that there are some really helpful procedures in there [​IMG]

7. shaunj66
    OP

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    We get accused of being biased towards every flash cart at the time they come out... naturally there is more news about new flash carts and thus they take up a lot of frontpage time... There's nothing seedy about it.

8. hollabackitsobi

hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 10, 2007
    United States
    Ok. 2 games out of 1200+ is DEFINITELY minimal compatibility issues, no matter how you look at it. What do you want to be said, that the R4 is utter garbage and should be burned and destroyed because Worms 2 and Deltora Quest don't work without a patch, when there's no way to fix the Acekards download play and soft reset issues like that? Get real.

9. KINGOFNOOBS

KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2006
    United States
    2 Games? More like 20. Then again, most of these games suck so eh.

10. zi70410

zi70410 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 30, 2006
    yea

11. hollabackitsobi

hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 10, 2007
    United States
    Really, 20? I had no idea. The only game I heard about was Worms 2 Open Warfare. Doesn't really matter to me though, as I just sold my R4 and will get a Cyclo as soon as RealHotStuff ships out there 10/1 batch.

12. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    The whole arm7 fix thing is what has let R4 down for me. Perfect compatability without manual patching should be a given, but R4 is behind the times.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC AS PharaohsVizier WAS TRYING TO GET ACROSS!
    no more R4 talk!

I'm probably getting my acekard this week or next, i'll post my impressions then too.

13. stop_loading

stop_loading GBAtemp Regular

Nov 27, 2006
    R4 patches game on the fly, there will be more incompatibilities

14. go185

go185 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2006
    Just purchased my RPG from bamboogaming! [​IMG]

15. iwakura

iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    California
    which games does it need to patch on the fly?

16. Alastair

Alastair GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 19, 2006
    Where do you think? Number one.

I read everything I could find about the available cartridges and purchased based on what DS flash cart. plays DS games the best. If that makes me ignorant, I'm sorry [​IMG] but I will never accept from anyone that a card with inferior compatibility (R4/ARPG) is better.

I didn't get my CycloDS because I heard that it had as wonderful support for download play as the other options. [​IMG]

17. Seraph

Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 6, 2007
    United States
    Huh? Doesn't the RPG have 100% capatiblity too? And also you don't have to buy a specific SD card for problematic games.(same goes for G6 Real) So the problems with the RPG that keep it from being the best cart are the features that haven't been added yet.

18. Alastair

Alastair GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 19, 2006
    If you only play single-player, yes. Download play is important for people that have friends with DSs though and fromw hat I heard, D.P. with the RPG is a joke.

The SD card problem is a bit disconcerting (although I only thought it happened with Portrait of Ruin on the CycloDS), true, I agree but it's not hard to get the right SD card.

As for the things that keep the RPG from being the best: You're absolutely right. The same goes for every single cart. out there: if only they had the features to make them the best, they WOULD be the best! [​IMG]

19. ViRGE

ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 4, 2004
    Every last card that has been made does, every card that will be made in the future will too. It's the result of using flash memory, it's slower than the ROM memory Nintendo is using and that's all there is to it. A well designed card will implement a patching method that can be very effective, but there will always be the possibility of a game not working on a card if it's throwing something the patcher can't handle.

20. recover

recover GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2007
    If you don't prepatch the rom (modifying the actual file), of course the cards will have to do it on the fly (in memory when you run the rom).