Acekard 2i vs 2.1

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by kodos84, Aug 16, 2010.

Aug 16, 2010

Acekard 2i vs 2.1 by kodos84 at 8:20 AM (1,689 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. kodos84
    OP

Newcomer kodos84 Member

United States
    Ok, quick question,

If I have a DS lite and have no intention of buying a dsi, is there a reason to get the 2i over the 2.1? Does one have a better build quality or function?

Thanks in advance

2. Tokyo Jihen

Member Tokyo Jihen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had the same dilemma and ended up getting the 2.1.
    Here's a thread that you might have seen already http://gbatemp.net/t244023-ak2-vs-ak2i-over-build-quality
    some people have been complaining about bad springs and such for the 2i, something that has not personally affected me and my 2.1. There are no benefits for getting a 2i for a ds lite over a 2.1 from what I've read. So I would just go with a 2.1,it seems to have better build quality.

3. Eclipse42

Newcomer Eclipse42 Member

United States
    I was in the same boat as you. After receiving advice from some helpful folks here, I went with the 2.1. Although there was a "bad batch" a while back due to a different type of memory chip or something, that issue has been sorted out and the latest version of AKAIO (and if I remember correctly, the official firmware as well if you want to use it) works perfectly fine on it.

As far as build quality goes, according to Another World, who seems quite knowledgeable on the subject, 2.1s tend to be more reliable than their DSi-designed brethren. Not to mention the fact that the former are slightly cheaper. Hopefully he'll post in this thread and shed some more light on the subject, as I can't remember all the details.

My opinion? Go for the 2.1, dude. I totally get where you're coming from, and as a DS Lite owner, you'll get no benefit out of owning a 2i. All software compatibility is the same; the only difference is that the 2i is designed to be able to run on a DSi.

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Because of the small price difference, i'd get the Acekard 2i. The simple reason being that if you were going to replace your DSL with a DSi or DSi XL, then you would still be able to use it. Because of the 3DS, it's likely there will be some good sales on the DSi XL come release time and it will be a great time to pick one up.

Because the 3DS will have a DS mode, there's also a chance you will be able to use an Acekard 2i with the 3DS for DS games (but not 3DS games).

If you never ever plan on getting a DSi, then there's no real reason why you shouldn't get the Acekard 2.1. However, remember the 1:1 R4's + Wood are only $6 and are almost identical in use/ GUI to the Acekard 2.1 + AKAIO with the exception of being limited to 2GB MicroSD cards.

5. Dr.Aqua

Member Dr.Aqua GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually the new cards ak2i are no longer spring loaded and are very sturdy
    keep this in mind

6. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Some people reported they are still spring-loaded, just not set to correct position. Try push microSD further down to see if there is a spring.

7. Dr.Aqua

Member Dr.Aqua GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nope