Acekard 2i Review

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Joined
Oct 24, 2002
Messages
11,580
Trophies
2
Age
38
Location
South England
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
17,488
Country
United Kingdom
review.gif
Acekard 2i Review
Official GBAtemp Review - World's 1st review!
 
The Acekard 2i is the first commercial DSi flash kit. It's wide knowledge now that the new Nintendo DSi blocks previous flash kits from operating, but it didn't take long before the Acekard team came along and cracked it.

So, want to know if the Acekard 2i is worth picking up to go alongside your shiny new DSi? Read our full review at the link below to find out.

Feel free to leave your comments and questions in response to this thread.

icon11.gif
 Acekard 2i official GBAtemp review
discuss.png
Discuss
 

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Member
Joined
May 16, 2007
Messages
3,393
Trophies
0
Age
31
Website
ndss.nl
XP
360
Country
Netherlands
Nice review. So in short, this is just the normal AceKard 2 working on a DSi... Like we expected.

One thing I noticed:
"- Feels like a rush job, with some recycled and useless (DSi incompatible) options from previous AK models"
That's not true. It can also be used on DS Phat and Lite, so it's not useless at all.
 

Raika

uguu
Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
4,858
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
uguu
XP
286
Country
Hmm... its not that surprising, since flashcarts would eventually be made for the DSi. Acekard is just faster, thats all.
 

johnchan

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
88
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
99
Country
Nice review, but there seems to be a glaring omission: no mention has been made to the fact that there is a very high chance that this cart will be blocked by the next DSi firmware update, and that as the AK2i does not seem to have an updateable bootloader, if this happens it will essentially leave the early adopters with a useless piece of plastic unless they manage to refrain from ever updating their DSi. I think at this stage its a bit more than speculation that Nintendo is going to make better efforts to prevent piracy on the DSi, due to the fact that we already know they can update the firmware and have already blocked all previous flash carts. As Nintendo can update the DSi firmware, they can block AK2i and anything that comes after it - this is a fact. The only viable solution for the DSi is going to be a product which is fully updateable, and then it will be a cat & mouse game with Nintendo releasing updates to block any currently functioning carts and then manufacturers releasing a new "bootloader" to counter this each time.

AK2i and anything similar which can not be fully updated will only ever be temporary solutions, which will only function on units currently in the market and only as long as the user does not update their DSi firmware.
 

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Joined
Oct 24, 2002
Messages
11,580
Trophies
2
Age
38
Location
South England
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
17,488
Country
United Kingdom
Maikel Steneker said:
Nice review. So in short, this is just the normal AceKard 2 working on a DSi... Like we expected.

One thing I noticed:
"- Feels like a rush job, with some recycled and useless (DSi incompatible) options from previous AK models"
That's not true. It can also be used on DS Phat and Lite, so it's not useless at all.
Well it is useless. Why would you buy the more expensive AK2i if you don't own a DSi? Fair enough if they phase out the regular AK2.1 and make them all simply "DSi compatible", but until that happens, the options IMO are useless.

They just need to include an option to disable non-DSi options, or just create a seperate AK2i-only loader.
 

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Member
Joined
May 16, 2007
Messages
3,393
Trophies
0
Age
31
Website
ndss.nl
XP
360
Country
Netherlands
shaunj66 said:
Maikel Steneker said:
Nice review. So in short, this is just the normal AceKard 2 working on a DSi... Like we expected.

One thing I noticed:
"- Feels like a rush job, with some recycled and useless (DSi incompatible) options from previous AK models"
That's not true. It can also be used on DS Phat and Lite, so it's not useless at all.
Well it is useless. Why would you buy the more expensive AK2i if you don't own a DSi? Fair enough if they phase out the regular AK2.1 and make them all simply "DSi compatible", but until that happens, the options IMO are useless.
I still don't agree.

My brother has a DS Phat with an R4. If he wants a DSi, that doesn't mean that he'll never use his DS Phat. After all, he can play GBA roms on that. If he buys an AK2i he will have a much better cart with the GBA features, for both his DS and DSi.

I understand that it feels a bit useless for someone who already has a better flashcart for the DS/DSL, but for some people this would be a big reason to buy an AK2(i), while you list it as a con.
 

steve007

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
431
Trophies
0
Age
40
Location
Nottingham
XP
498
Country
United States
Hum if i get this do i still have to patch the games like sonic RPg on my r4ds and i hope it has a cheep price for it yes im geting a ids becouse i love nintendo Sony messed up the PSP with updates >_
 

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Joined
Oct 24, 2002
Messages
11,580
Trophies
2
Age
38
Location
South England
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
17,488
Country
United Kingdom
Maikel Steneker said:
I still don't agree.

My brother has a DS Phat with an R4. If he wants a DSi, that doesn't mean that he'll never use his DS Phat. After all, he can play GBA roms on that. If he buys an AK2i he will have a much better cart with the GBA features, for both his DS and DSi.

I understand that it feels a bit useless for someone who already has a better flashcart for the DS/DSL, but for some people this would be a big reason to buy an AK2(i), while you list it as a con.
I understand where you're coming from and have updated the pros/cons. I think they should be a little more fair now

QUOTE(steve007 @ Dec 14 2008, 04:50 PM) Hum if i get this do i still have to patch the games like sonic RPg on my r4ds and i hope it has a cheep price for it yes im geting a ids becouse i love nintendo Sony messed up the PSP with updates >_
 

shakirmoledina

Legend
Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
6,613
Trophies
0
Age
32
Location
Dar es Salaam
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
800
Country
Tanzania
acekard are quick but not intelligent enough... introducing dual storage was great but nothing somebody then actually bothered about unlike itouch who included cheapness, compatibility , design , features and the latest one which is RTS... that is what i call planning with simplicity
 

Frederica Bernkastel

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
3,169
Trophies
0
Age
27
Location
Hinamizawa
XP
939
Country
Japan
Nice Review, Nice Card.

Although, why do you need to buy a DSi card, if the DSi is shovelware crap.
Its fugly, stupid and more shovelware than most of ubisofts games.

Also, a DS lite is cheaper. With a gba slot.

If you're interested in a new DS, don't buy a lite.
Also, M3 RULES!


That is all.
 

Joey90

Not around any more
Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Messages
703
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
XP
170
Country
QUOTE said:
Still lacks some features of its competitors
What competitors
tongue.gif


At the moment AK can do pretty much whatever they want - if you want to play ROMs on a DSi you need an AK2i.

And although it does seem a little unpolished, I'm sure at least some of the early adopters would rather have a functional cart that they can use, over a perfected and fine-tuned cart that they have to wait another few months for.

Plus I am sure that a lot of the firmware 'bugs' will be removed in the near future.
 

Satangel

BEAST
Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
10,291
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
Bruges, Belgium
XP
1,415
Country
Belgium
jensa said:
didnt team cyclops make an update for the cycloDS to work on DSi?

"as Team Cyclops proved by also releasing footage of their cart strutting its stuff on the new handheld, the Acekard 2i is the first to go commercial."

That is said in the review
smile.gif
 

Beware

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
1,139
Trophies
0
XP
597
Country
United States
Nice review, but I don't really see the point of an entire review. It's just meant to be a DSi compatible version of the AK2. The ONLY differences are the build quality and the fact that it is DSi compatible. It was never meant to be more than that (yet). I don't mean to seem ungrateful for the review, I just think a FULL review wasn't totally necessary. Just copy and paste most of the stuff from the AK2 review, since they're the same cart.
wink2.gif
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Dark_Phoras @ Dark_Phoras: Oops, wrong chat