Acekard 2i Functions (n00b question)

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by gdude30, Mar 3, 2009.

Mar 3, 2009
  1. gdude30
    OP

Newcomer gdude30 Member

United States
    So yeah. I'm all new and retarded like.

[​IMG]

But I've been doing some research on these cards and the Acekard 2i seems like the best one. I think I've figured everything out for the most part and I think the 2i does what I need it to do. Although I have no idea if I'll get a DSi. But if I get this then it might possibly work for the DSi. However as people have been saying there is a possibility there will be a firmware ugrade which renders this useless and then they might make another one. But I take that risk.

What I am mainly trying to figure out. Is if this Acekard 2i can play GBA roms as well. In otherwords slot 2. Not asking where to get roms since I know that's against the rules. Just trying to figure out if it can do GBA roms or not.

My friend told me that there are a few on the market that can run GBA games as well as DS games. I don't think the Acekard 2 can do that.

But from what the description says about the Acekard 2i.

www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18728

While there is clearly no slot 2 in the DSi. Since I am using the original DS Lite there is a slot 2. So from what it says there it sounds like GBA games from the microSD card directly. So while this wouldn't work with the DSi it will work the with the DS lite for the second slot compatibility.

So basically I just really wanna know if this works with slot 2 or loading GBA games as well. It won't make me not buy this since I probably will get this anyways. But it would be a plus knowing that it could do that.

Anyways. I'm sorry if I broke the rules by mentioning gba games and ds games. But like I said I'm not asking for where you get them. Just wondering if this model of the Acekard can run gba games and slot 2. I am very new to the whole DS hombrew community so all this is kind of new to me. I did used to be in the PSP Homebrew community though..before my PSP can stolen that is.

Anyways. If anyone doesn't mind answering a question that's probably already been asking a million times or that is obvious then thank you..

*puts on nearly flame-proof helmet*

2. Ballistic

Member Ballistic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Before I answer your question, I have one of mine. What do you think the "2i does what [you] need it to do"? Just wanted to clarify so you can make a good satisfactory purchase. GBA gaming on the DSi is up to one's speculation. Some say a virtual console can be programmed and probably by Nintendo. And as of now, there are no signs of flashcarts using the DSi's new hardware/features.

•EZ Flash 3-in-1
    As for the GBA gaming, you'll need to buy a slot 2 expansion. Right now, most people would recommend the EZ Flash 3-in-1. At the moment they are producing newer versions of this 3-in-1 expansion with new hardware, the codename for this is the EZ Flash 3-in-1 Plus. Thus not all of its features are available for all to use at the moment, if any. But what I know is that with the AKAIO firmware and this new EZ Flash, GBA gaming shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. If you have a white or black DS -LITE-, this slot-2 will definitely look out of place. But if you have a smooth non-glossy surfaced DS Lite such as Crimson or Cobalt, then it will look like a second home (don't ask me about the first [​IMG] ).
    Another bonus you can gain from this purchase is the ability to rumble in certain games. Rumble is a vibrating reaction to certain occurances within your DS gaming (not all games support it). Nothing big, just a little touch to spice up the experience.
    That covers two, but the EZ Flash 3-in-1 is a 3-in-1 for a reason. And that is that RAM expansion, which basically enhances certain homebrew application performances like a Super Nintendo emulator (and others). This RAM also lets you surf the internet with the use of a browser.
    GBA gaming works perfectly as far as I know, except for some clock issues with Pokemon games. But that can be fixed with patches you can find via internet (I don't think there's one for Pokemon Emerald). RAM expansion is sort of in a test phase at the moment, but it is working. As for rumble, this would be expected in the future as last of the additions because no one really uses it.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    @Ballistic: the 3-in-1 lite with white shell looks perfectly in-place with my white ndsl. i'm unsure what you mean by out-of-place? it fits very flush and matches the color of the case very well. as for the plus features they have all been found. cory found the start of the ram code, and now that has been added to the akaio firmware. i've read that rudolph knows of it as well so it will be in gba exploader (if it isn't already). rumble is not a good idea with the 3-in-1 and you should never purchase one for rumble. the rumble is very poor (compared to a retail rumble card) and it eats up the 3v sram save battery very quickly. if you simply wanted rumble i would recommend metroid prime pinball and the rumble pack. you can find it for under $20.

@gdude30: what ballistic said about gba gaming is true. with akaio firmware and a 3-in-1 you will have no problems. it patches the save type and flashes over the gba game automatically for you. you can also use it as a pass me device for ds.gba games when flashed to NOR. for more information check the akaio wiki link in my sig. i would advise against the ak2i. it has poor build quality and sd slot issues. i know more than a few people who have had sd card read errors due to the slot. while others have complained about the tightness of the sd slot and the flashkit itself getting stuck in their dsi. i have still heard people complain that it has connection issues. all of the people i have talked with own multiple ak2i kits for one reason or another. at this point it looks like it was rushed to market to fill a niche. none of the dsi features have been hacked. the exploit the flash kits use to boot normal ds roms/homebrew is easy to patch for (block). you may want a dsi but i would not get a flash kit for it right now. wait to see what happens in the next year. you would be better off getting an ak2.1 black or blue pcb.

you appear to be new to all of this and you have started with doing some research. keep reading and ask when you have questions. we will all be glad to help you.

if you want just a dedicated slot2 for gba look into the m3 lite. its a great kit, although expensive, which supports nds and gba games, movies, e-books, cheats and other fun stuff.

happy gaming!

-another world

4. gdude30
    OP

Newcomer gdude30 Member

United States
    I am really looking for a way to play both DS and GBA games. DS is more preferred but if I can one that plays GBA games would be great too.

My friend bought this one.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

[​IMG]

That one doesn't play GBA games though. But I actually read the Acekard 2i review on this site and it sounded good. And the reviews for that page seemed good. I guess maybe that was hype.

It sounds like the 3-in-1 does do GBA and DS games which sounds what I need. I suppose it is kind of pointless to think of the 2i for the DSi since the DSi isn't even in america and I might never get one.

I guess I shall read more into the M3, the 3-in-1 and the Acekard 2.

GBA would be ideal. But it's not required. Thank you. I'll look more into the other three since I don't need to worry about the DSi

5. Another World

Colombia
    the 3in1 will play .nds.gba roms through passme, an example is heretic DS. it will not run .nds roms and it does not have a firmware of its own. the 3in1 is an expansion kit that requires a slot1 running gba exploader or a firmware with 3in1 support (like akaio).

-another world

6. gdude30
    OP

Newcomer gdude30 Member

United States
    I really am new to this so I have to ask. Sorry if this has been asked before and if it's just common knowledge that people should know.

But uhm.

What is a passme and a "Heretic DS"

Is the heretic ds a program or something or a card that runs GBA games but not DS games?

And for that last part. Are you saying that you need a DS type cartridge in for it work?

Meaning that you need to get a GBA slot (Slot 2) as well as the DS Slot (Slot 1) for it to work?

3-in-1 just sounds like you get the whole package. If I am wrong I'm sorry. I'm still new to all of this.

7. dimply_gecko

Newcomer dimply_gecko Newbie

Canada
    Yes, you need to get both the slot-1 flashcart (like the Acekard 2) and a slot-2 flashcart (like the 3-in-1). You can use the Acekard to store the GBA games and when you want to play one it will transfer the game to the 3-in-1 flashcart so that you can play it.

8. Another World

Colombia
    wow great way to revive a month old post and reiterate the information already stated above. good job.. gold star.

-another world