Hacking AceKard 2 Freezing

AniDanny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my AceKard 2 worked fine for several years, then a couple weeks ago it just started freezing about 5 minutes into a game. It'd make the faint click noise as though the lid had been shut, then the sound would stop and the screen would freeze. I borrowed my brother's AK2 and tried out the same games, and have had no problems since. All I've found online to fix this is to reformat the MicroSD card, but in this case, the MicroSD seems to work perfectly, or else it would have the same problem on his AK2 as well. Anyone have any idea what I might be able to do to fix this, short of buying a new AK?

D

Deleted User

A reformat with the Panasonic SD formatting utility couldn't hurt though.
happy.gif

You could try wedging some card behind the cart to improve the connection, also give the teeth of the cart a clean too.
happy.gif

If those suggestions don't work, then the cart maybe buggered.
happy.gif
(if it's a ak2i you could maybe try re-flashing the firmware, but ak2 and ak2.1 doesn't have an up-datable firmware.)

AniDanny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried formatting the microSD, and I tried all sorts of things to wedge the contacts closer. Nothing seems to work, it just keeps going straight to my GBA game, so I think it might just be that the AceKard is dead.
frown.gif
Any last ideas before I go buy a new one?

AniDanny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
At a last resort, i'd open up the shell and reseat the PCB. At the same time, give the contacts a good clean.
I'm guessing those little snap things on the sides would give me access to the inside - what's the PCB? Also, what should I use to clean the contacts?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AniDanny said:
I'm guessing those little snap things on the sides would give me access to the inside - what's the PCB? Also, what should I use to clean the contacts?
Sorry, forgot it was an older cart. Yes, the clips hold the cart together. PCB = Printed Circuit Board, there's a bunch of images http://www.akaio.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410&f=8 Acekard 2 is at the bottom. You can use something alcohol based to clean it.

AniDanny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
AniDanny said:
Sorry, forgot it was an older cart. Yes, the clips hold the cart together. PCB = Printed Circuit Board, there's a bunch of images http://www.akaio.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410&f=8 Acekard 2 is at the bottom. You can use something alcohol based to clean it.
Well, I got it open. After a couple minutes of not finding a button or switch, I realized you said "reseat", not "reset"
happy.gif
; Then I realized that I don't exactly know what reseating it entails... Any advice on that? (Sorry for asking so many stupid questions)

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What I mean i sthe PCB have moved slightly inthe shell, remove it and replace it. Making sure it's in correctly i.e reseating it in the shell. It probably won't make any difference, but it's worth a go.

AniDanny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there another snap holding it on to the casing? Or is it glued on? If it's glued (or otherwise adhesived), what should I use to reattach it after removing it?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AniDanny said:
Well, I got it open. After a couple minutes of not finding a button or switch, I realized you said "reseat", not "reset"
happy.gif
;
As someone who has made similar mistakes more times than I'd care to admit, I lol with you.

QUOTE(AniDanny @ Jul 15 2010, 11:08 AM) Is there another snap holding it on to the casing? Or is it glued on? If it's glued (or otherwise adhesived), what should I use to reattach it after removing it?
If it's glued in... I'm not sure if you want to remove it.
Since it has worked for, as you said, several years chances are the position isn't the problem.

I'd say it's more a problem with the contacts... either they're dirty or worn.
What I would do is, take a Cotton Swab (called Q-Tip where I'm from) in some rubbing alcohol and use one end gently 'polish' the contacts on the AceKard to get any dust/dirt/etc off the contacts.
Then use the other end, kind of heavy with alcohol but not dripping a lot, to dab the contacts inside the DS. You want to get the alcohol to almost drip into the contacts getting them a little wet.
Now put in the AceKard and pop it out. Do this a few times but DO NOT TURN THE DS ON!
Give the AceKard another quick wipe if you'd like, it can't hurt.
Eject the cart and let it and the DS sit for AT LEAST 15~20 minutes. Preferably more... say an hour, or overnight to be absolutely sure everything is dried.

AniDanny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I let it sit for about two hours after cleaning it. It's working perfectly *knock on wood* now. Off to play Tales of Innocence, huzzah! Thanks everyone!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol