Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Greetings.

If you have recently (December 2009 - Current Day) purchased an Acekard 2.1, and are having problems getting it to work (it freezes while saving, it gets stuck while loading) read on. What is written here is mostly things I have learned by reading these boards and by experimenting myself. I don't claim to have come up with or discovered most of this, I am just condensing it into one place. For most regular readers of the board, it will not be anything new, but hopefully it will help someone trying to get their new card to work.

The Cause of the Problem (A theory):

The newest batch of Acekard 2.1s have been made with new hardware, as stated on the Acekard2 homepage, this is a fact. It is suspected that this new hardware may be to blame for the issues we are having. However, to be clear, there is NOTHING WRONG with the hardware of the card itself! Your card is fine, and this can be proven by the fact that when trying to use Official Firmware 4.07, older games (that were supported as of OF 4.07) will work just fine! What this means is, that there is something in the loader for 4.07 which works correctly in the newest batches of Acekards, but that is different in versions 4.08 and onward (this includes all of the latest versions of AKAIO that I have tried.) In short, don't go throw out your card. It is possible that this issue will be fixed entirely. Key word possible, I don't know. It is my hope that AKAIO will release a version that will be 100% compatible in the near future. We'll see I suppose.

A Solution to the Problem:

The easiest temporary fix to this problem is simply to use Official Firmware 4.07 on your new Acekard 2.1. This will have the effect of getting older games to work pretty easily, but it doesn't offer the support that using AKAIO firmware does (support for the EZ Flash 3in1). What I propose is to use the front end of AKAIO's latest version, but use the loader for 4.07 when actually loading games. This way you can still use all the AKAIO features (most of them, I just wanted it for GBA games) and still get your games to load. This will NOT unfortunately get some newer games with different copy protection working! There is currently, to the best of my knowledge, no way of doing this. Some games, will just not work no matter what I (or anyone I have read) has tried. It is also worth noting, however, that I tried version 4.07 and version 4.07a15 and had MUCH more success with version 4.07a15. I do not claim to know the difference between the two, other than that a15 seems to work better for me.

The Walk-Through:

Grab the latest AKAIO firmware, currently 1.6 RC2 = http://normmatt.com/forum/
Grab Official Firmware 4.07a15 = http://filetrip.net/f2445-Acekard-2-Official-4-07a15.html
Take the file akmenu4.nds from Official Firmware 4.07a15 and copy it to the folder /__aio/ak2loader/
Turn on Acekard and Navigate to a Game, Press Y Twice to open Properties
Switch the option "AK2 Loader" from "AKAIO" to "AKMENU4" (You will need to do this for every DS game you play)
Hit Okay (A) and play game

And that should take care of it for you for the moment. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. If someone who knows more about this than I do is reading this, please feel free to correct me on anything I've said here!

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
ah well would be nice if they fix it, but dx has send me a replacement acekard 2i, with just paying a few dollars extra so i then have an extra flashcard
smile.gif

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
so maybe this is the reason why my acekard won't load games in akaio.. thanks for savin me for almost fucking up my acekard 2.1 for bein an ass.. And i thought dealextreme scammed me haha. I'll use my acekard when a new akaio firmware fixes this fucking dumb problem.

thanks for researching about this acekard 2.1 problem.

D

Deleted User

Hakoda said:
Another World said:
and as for the bad batch 2.1.... all i say is wait for the next public release of akaio =)

-another world

Just a little motivation for all you with bad AK2.1's...

Yeah and the new akaio loader will have a nice rainbow loading message on the bad batch of ak2's!
happy.gif

EDIT: it's not a joke btw, norm has got these bad batch ak2's working but he said he is still working on the loader before releasing it. Here's a little preview I made on my mobile phone so quality is crap, lol. AKAIO 1.6 working on bad batch ak2
happy.gif

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alcaholjunkie said:
Hakoda said:
Another World said:
and as for the bad batch 2.1.... all i say is wait for the next public release of akaio =)

-another world

Yeah and the new akaio loader will have a nice rainbow loading message on the bad batch of ak2's!
happy.gif

EDIT: it's not a joke btw, norm has got these bad batch ak2's working but he said he is still working on the loader before releasing it. Here's a little preview I made on my mobile phone so quality is crap, lol. AKAIO 1.6 working on bad batch ak2
happy.gif
Good to here norm is working on it, it'll save a bunch of people some time and effort.
biggrin.gif

That'd be a cool loader. Rainbow effects. You can see it in the video he posted but I didn't realize that's what he meant. I thought his camera was just effing up but it actually goes from blue to green to white to yellow to pink.

acs236

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out if the freezing problem you're describing is the issue I'm having. I had been using an Acekard 2i with a DS-Lite with no issues. I just tried on a DSi XL and everything seems to work fine so far, except for Mario 64 DS. The game either freezes as it loads or shortly thereafter. The game seemed to work fine on the DS Lite.

Are others that are having freezing problems experiencing them with every rom or just certain ones?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
acs236 said:
I'm trying to figure out if the freezing problem you're describing is the issue I'm having. I had been using an Acekard 2i with a DS-Lite with no issues. I just tried on a DSi XL and everything seems to work fine so far, except for Mario 64 DS. The game either freezes as it loads or shortly thereafter. The game seemed to work fine on the DS Lite.

Are others that are having freezing problems experiencing them with every rom or just certain ones?
This thread doesn't apply to you, it's about a very different issue.

Rinnon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
alcaholjunkie said:
Hakoda said:
Another World said:

-another world

happy.gif

happy.gif

Nice! I am looking forward to that. Any word on a release time line? I obviously don't mean to rush Norm, he should release it when he's ready, but a rough estimate would be nice. =)

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rinnon said:
Nice! I am looking forward to that. Any word on a release time line? I obviously don't mean to rush Norm, he should release it when he's ready, but a rough estimate would be nice. =)
I told this to people who were on AKAIO 1.5.1 and AKAIO 1.6 had not been released yet, "Good things come to those who wait." Eventually 1.6RC1 was released. Plus the current AKAIO Beta is 1.6RC2.5 so that gives you a rough image. No release time stated yet.

Hell_AleX

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
in the video i can see the rainbow colors.. but not, if the game freezes after the save.. maybe extend the video..? (pls in better quality)

D

Deleted User

Hell_AleX said:
in the video i can see the rainbow colors.. but not, if the game freezes after the save.. maybe extend the video..? (pls in better quality)

I'll see what i can do, I will have to find a better camera than my mobile phone though.
happy.gif

Edit: HERE is a less fuzzy/blury video, running zelda and loading a save on a bad batch ak2.
happy.gif
(different cell/mobile phone, doesn't like the brightness changes on the screens much, lol)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)