Accidentally Updated EMUnand on N3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JaegerMon, May 19, 2015.

1. JaegerMon
    OP

JaegerMon Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2015
    United States
    Hey, my sysnand and emunand were on 9.0 on NEW 3DS, but my friend accidentally updated the EMUnand.

Is there any way to restore the emunand other than formatting?

If I need to format EMUnand, is there any way for me backup all my cia save files without accessing gateway mode?

Thanks for the help guys!

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Accidentally, my ass. He knew what he was doing. He consciously pushed the OK button. And you should have an Emunand backup made in case of such a tragedy.

3. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    If you haven't got a backup then you're going to have to format.

As for backing up cia saves, are your sysnand & emunand linked or unlinked?

4. qproject

qproject GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    Canada
    You could use 3DNUS to download older firmware and install CIA firmware to your emunand.
    From http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

0004013820000002 v19218 (I think thats right but you should double check)

5. Ichii Giki

Ichii Giki GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    My tutorial for transferring data between NANDs might be of help to you:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-manual-system-transfer-for-saves-content.388033/

You could generate XORpads for the accidentally updated EmuNAND, extract essential files (ticket.db, Mii Plaza/system saves, movable.sed [if you have unlinked your SysNAND/EmuNAND] etc.), then import those files into a new EmuNAND. That way the new EmuNAND should match up with all your SD card contents and you shouldn't lose any saves/etc. Hope this helps! ^_^

6. Ichii Giki

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    I don't think this would work because if you somehow downgraded Native_Firm (which would be rather difficult without being able to boot into EmuNAND), the updated System Titles that rely on that version of Native_Firm wouldn't be able to boot, likely titles such as Home Menu/etc.

7. JaegerMon
    OP

JaegerMon Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2015
    United States

The sysnand and emunand are unlinked.

I'll look into this, thanks. But your tutorial only works for transferring data between sytems , no?

8. hippy dave

Apr 30, 2012
    Unfortunate, otherwise you might possibly have been able to retrieve saves with savedatafiler and pasta.

9. JaegerMon
    OP

JaegerMon Newbie

Newcomer
    May 19, 2015
    United States

Hmm, are there no other ways to backup cia save files? If that's the case I may just have to format the emunand and reinstall all my cias

10. hippy dave

Apr 30, 2012
    I'm not sure, generally it doesn't look good if you can't boot that emunand. I think there's a way to decrypt files from an unlinked nand, but I can't remember what file/data you need to do it and if you can get it from your situation.

11. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

Awesome work!! Can you write a guide?

12. Ichii Giki

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    It is meant for transferring between systems, but in your case, one "system" would be your old, accidentally updated EmuNAND, and the new "system" would be a newly formatted EmuNAND from your SysNAND. Treating each EmuNAND as a separate "system", the processes from the tutorial would be the same. Don't give up! You should be able to recover everything from the accidentally updated EmuNAND, it will just take some time/effort.

Angely likes this.