Hacking Accidentally bought non-US 3DS. Hackable? Changing region?

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I just found a solid blue New 3DS XL on eBay for a good price, so I picked it up. This made me think...why do I never see these? So I checked it out found out that the US never produced them. Great. It’s likely from the UK or Australia, as the writing on the back is in English.

Can I still update the firmware to 11.9 and run the Frogminer method for cfw? If so, can I then play games from any region? Or will it still be region-locked?

I basically just need to know if it’s worth the hassle or if I should return it. Thank you!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can tell if it's EUR if you look in System Settings. There should be something like 11.9.0-42E.
Nintendo eShop is permanently region locked for new series 2DS/3DS systems. For example, you won't be able to buy games and download updates in USA eShop if your EUR n3DS / n3DSXL / n2DSXL was 3DS firmware region changed to USA.

Reactions: mranonymous

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can update it.
Yes, you can hack it.
Cfw removes region lock.

Okay great, thank you. Can I use the hacking method that uses Steel Diver? I’m unsure as to how that will work since I’d need to use the eShop to buy the game from the US. I suppose it just connects me to the UK shop?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over