Accidentally bought non-US 3DS. Hackable? Changing region?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mranonymous, Jan 15, 2019.

1. mranonymous
    OP

mranonymous GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    Hello. I just found a solid blue New 3DS XL on eBay for a good price, so I picked it up. This made me think...why do I never see these? So I checked it out found out that the US never produced them. Great. It’s likely from the UK or Australia, as the writing on the back is in English.

Can I still update the firmware to 11.9 and run the Frogminer method for cfw? If so, can I then play games from any region? Or will it still be region-locked?

I basically just need to know if it’s worth the hassle or if I should return it. Thank you!

2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Yes, you can update it.
    Yes, you can hack it.
    Cfw removes region lock.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Jan 15, 2019
    mranonymous likes this.
  3. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    You can tell if it's EUR if you look in System Settings. There should be something like 11.9.0-42E.
    Nintendo eShop is permanently region locked for new series 2DS/3DS systems. For example, you won't be able to buy games and download updates in USA eShop if your EUR n3DS / n3DSXL / n2DSXL was 3DS firmware region changed to USA.

mranonymous likes this.
  4. mranonymous
    OP

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    Okay great, thank you. Can I use the hacking method that uses Steel Diver? I’m unsure as to how that will work since I’d need to use the eShop to buy the game from the US. I suppose it just connects me to the UK shop?

5. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    You can use eu eshop, as the game is free.

mranonymous and TurdPooCharger like this.
  6. mranonymous
    OP

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    Great, Thanks again