Accessing files wirelessly?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have an XP PC with a Netgear wireless router. Over the years I have a lot of files on it and I was wondering if there's possibly any way to use the wireless router so that I can use my Vista laptop to access files from my PC?

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Put them in the same workgroup, right click on the folder the files are in, and share it. You should have full access.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for saying this but can someone explain it in more depth? And is there any problems with accessing it between Vista and XP?

etrigan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XP filesharing tutorial:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...filesharing.htm

Vista hacks that you may have to do, but try it without them first:

Click "Start -> Run." Then, type in the Run field: "secpol.msc." That will bring you to Vista's security policy system. Once there, use "Go to: Local Policies > Security Options" and then find "Network Security: LAN Manager" authentication level. Once there, change the Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated."

Technically, sharing from XP to Vista should be cake, so you won't have to do the Vista settings change, but I included it just in case.

EDIT:

Quicknote: 802.11g wireless is more than fast enough for fileshares in most cases. You should be able to play most videos/mp3's without a hitch. HD(h264/x264) videos that you have downloaded or encoded will likely need a faster connection: wired or 802.11n. I watch normal non-hd xvids all the time over my wireless.

Actually via my modded Xbox with XBMC.
wink.gif

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
etrigan said:
XP filesharing tutorial:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...filesharing.htm

Vista hacks that you may have to do, but try it without them first:

Click "Start -> Run." Then, type in the Run field: "secpol.msc." That will bring you to Vista's security policy system. Once there, use "Go to: Local Policies > Security Options" and then find "Network Security: LAN Manager" authentication level. Once there, change the Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated."

Technically, sharing from XP to Vista should be cake, so you won't have to do the Vista settings change, but I included it just in case.

EDIT:

Quicknote: 802.11g wireless is more than fast enough for fileshares in most cases. You should be able to play most videos/mp3's without a hitch. HD(h264/x264) videos that you have downloaded or encoded will likely need a faster connection: wired or 802.11n. I watch normal non-hd xvids all the time over my wireless.

Actually via my modded Xbox with XBMC.
wink.gif
Thanks but I don't think that link mentions anything about sharing files wirelessly

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Press Windows Key + Pause/Break > Computer Name > "Change" the workgroup on both PCs to "MSHOME"

On the PC you want to share, right click on the folder and share it. On the recieving PC, go to "My Network Places" or whatever Vista has. The shared folders should be there.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
offtopic84 said:
Press Windows Key + Pause/Break > Computer Name > "Change" the workgroup on both PCs to "MSHOME"

On the PC you want to share, right click on the folder and share it. On the recieving PC, go to "My Network Places" or whatever Vista has. The shared folders should be there.
Awesome. That worked perfectly. Thanks.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you REALLY want to get down and dirty you could run an apache server and put it through your router. That's what I do. I can get my stuff on anything from a PC to a Wii to my DS to anything with a web browser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy