cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My friend gave me his Ipod for me to jailbreak it for him. He is worried about losing his data (apps, music and stuff). His Ipod is on firmware 3.1.1 so I have to update it before Jailbreaking. Is there a way for me to backup his data or will the update keep everything?

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Back it up in iTunes (It should automatically do it when you try to sync it) although i'm not sure as to what extent it does I would assume it would back up at least Apps and probably music. But it's not as if he can't just re-sync afterwards and put it back on.
wink.gif

Peefree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The spirit jailbreak does work with 3.1.3, I recently jailbroke my iPod and you literally just need to click a single button and you're done. Just make sure you sync the iPod first to back it up just incase something goes wrong.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
luke_c said:
Back it up in iTunes (It should automatically do it when you try to sync it) although i'm not sure as to what extent it does I would assume it would back up at least Apps and probably music. But it's not as if he can't just re-sync afterwards and put it back on.
wink.gif

I tried this but I got a warning that my computer wasn't authorized to backup the paid apps. Is there a way to get around this? Maybe a separate program that can backup all the data without itunes.

Mages4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, you should jailbreak it at his house.

1. You should back it up on the parent computer.
2. After you restore, it'll be easier to put the apps back from the parent computer.
3. It's just a single button press. It doesn't matter who's computer you use.

(Also, you can back up the paid apps if he gives you his iTunes account and let's you Authorized your computer.)

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
cornaljoe said:
luke_c said:
wink.gif

I tried this but I got a warning that my computer wasn't authorized to backup the paid apps. Is there a way to get around this? Maybe a separate program that can backup all the data without itunes.
If it was already Jailbroken and you were just updating it would be fine, as there are Apps on Cydia for that but there's not more else you can do.

Also all iPod Touch's are Jailbreakable with Spirit.
smile.gif

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mages4ever said:
Well, you should jailbreak it at his house.

1. You should back it up on the parent computer.
2. After you restore, it'll be easier to put the apps back from the parent computer.
3. It's just a single button press. It doesn't matter who's computer you use.

(Also, you can back up the paid apps if he gives you his iTunes account and let's you Authorized your computer.)

I'll see if he will give me his itunes account. I think his home pc is not working properly atm.

tKo HaXoR

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I just did this recently. (About 2 or 3 times in the past week)

Just update it to 3.1.3 through iTunes.

It won't delete anything. Make sure you disable automatic sync on both the iTunes and iPod Touch.

After you update it, you just use Spirit jailbreak and it will still have everything.

Spirit doesn't erase anything because it doesn't replace the firmware or restore the firmware to defaults.

It just installs the right packages and Cydia.

Experience: 3 jailbroken ipod touches in less than a week for friends. None of their apps or music, etc. were deleted.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tKo HaXoR said:
I just did this recently. (About 2 or 3 times in the past week)

Just update it to 3.1.3 through iTunes.

It won't delete anything. Make sure you disable automatic sync on both the iTunes and iPod Touch.

After you update it, you just use Spirit jailbreak and it will still have everything.

Spirit doesn't erase anything because it doesn't replace the firmware or restore the firmware to defaults.

It just installs the right packages and Cydia.

Experience: 3 jailbroken ipod touches in less than a week for friends. None of their apps or music, etc. were deleted.

Ok thanks! I'm performing the update now. The DL is taking forever though. Why is it taking so long is it pretty big? Also once I jailbreak it what should I do to it to make sure the person knows its jailbrroken. I have no experience with Apples products, so I don't know what the best things jailbreaking gives. I just like to mod electronics so I'm familiar with that aspect.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GH0ST said:
backup always backup ... it is the rule ;-)

I backed up everything except for the paid apps. Hopefully they won't get erased. But once it's jailbroken he can install them again anyway right?

Rogue_Syst3m

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cornaljoe said:
GH0ST said:
backup always backup ... it is the rule ;-)

I backed up everything except for the paid apps. Hopefully they won't get erased. But once it's jailbroken he can install them again anyway right?

its easier to back them up first, but itunes keeps a list of all your purchases..

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok all done updated and jailbroken. Looks like all the data is still intact! Now what should I do to it? Any cool add-ons I can do to show off what the jailbreak can do to my friend. He (and me) don't know what the jailbreak can do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...