Hacking Homebrew About to buy a PSP, what do I need?!

Darkforce

DERP!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right the urge to buy a PSP has gone on long enough, and now I've decided it's time to get one! Being new to the scene I am kind of confused though so that's where you guys come in!

I thought I had to buy a PSP with a non TA-82 board in order to upgrade to the 3.03 OE-A' (or whatever version it is now) custom firmware. However I also hear about people with TA-82 boards sucessfully updating their PSPs. So what's the deal with that?

If I do need the PSP to have a particular motherboard, is there any easy way to identify the board other than looking at the number under the UMD flap. e.g. I read that the White PSPs with a TA-82 board only started shipping around April/May 2006 - so assuming this was true if I bought one that someone purchased before then I should be okay right? (I am after a white PSP btw)

What's the max version of firmware that can already be on a PSP for it to be downgraded and updated to the custom firmware? 2.71?

And finally the best way to go with memory cards? I thought about buying a fake/knockoff Sony 4GB as they're only £35 ($70) shipped on ebay (vs £70 for a genuine Sandisk), so can anyone vouch with these fakes as being any good? Also would I be better off with say 2x 2GB cards? I read that things like saving take longer on the larger cards, so wondered if there is any truth to this?

Thanks in advance. ^^

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TA-82 boards 2.71 firmware and under are now downgradeable thanks to a recently released downgrader by Dark Alex. It'll downgrade as usual to 1.5 and you can upgrade to the latest 3.03OE-B firmware. The overall consensus on the internet is that if you get one with the Letter K or under on the side where the barcode is, you'll be fine in getting a psp that's downgradeable. Anything after the letter K signifies firmwares > 2.71 or greater than TA-082 in terms of motherboard revision. The best way to go with memory card is to get authentic sandisk pro duos, they're cheap and faster than sony's oem cards. The fake cards are a hit and miss and I would not want to take my chances flashing firmware with a fake memory stick.

DBox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ironically, Im also thinking about purchasing a PSP soon. However, I think I am going to install the UP Mod in mine once I get it. Can that be flashed with the new Ps1 firmware by Dark alex as well?

D

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just make sure it's downgradable, get yourself a nice memory stick. make sure it's not a fake.

as far as accessories go, you might want a clamshell cover. the screen is nice, but scratches easily.

go to psp-hacks for everything you need

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
only accessories I can think of that's necessary is really a decent case and a screen protector from hori. And in regards to your original question about the 2gb vs 4 gb....I have many 2gb and 4gb pro duos and I can honestly say there are no differences in running isos and homebrew with them....other than the obvious fact that the 4gb is much preferred since it holds more.

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you plan on doing psx emulation, legit sticks are the only sure way.

a lot of people on the psp-hack forums have had problems. You can check the mem stick by putting it in your psp and pressing triangle when you have the memory stick selected. It will give you the info on the stick. you want it to say "magic gate enabled" and NOT "unsupported" because then your psx games aren't gonna work.

don't say nobody warned you!
wink.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alright, got a 1.5 PSP now I'm trying to update to Dark Alex's 3.03 A firmware then update that to the B version, however the readme for 3.03 A is confusing me. It says I need 'the 1.50 and 3.03 sony updates'? Also oeupdatemaker and oeupdatemaker% were spelt wrong in the install pack so I'm kinda worried that I've downloaded a dodgy installer. Also psp updates or somewhere said I need devhook with this or something? I dunno >_>/ Anyone got a simple guide to install Dark Alex's 3.03 A/B firmware?

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
they were spelled wrong, that was DA's oversight. You download the 1.50 eboot from www.psp-hacks.com and also the 3.03 there or Sony's official page if you want. Then you put both eboots in oeupdatamaker (not oeupdatamaker%, that's there to take care of corrupt icons), and then run the program on you psp under memory stick (you'll see a program called oeupdatamaker, or something similar, dont remember exact spelling). Then the program will examine the 2 eboots for authenticity (by MD5) and proceed to make a file named DATA.DXAR. This is the "special" mix between 1.5 and 3.03 if you will. Put this DATA.DXAR into the folder 303flasher (not 303flasher%, that's for corrupt icons) and then go under memory stick and run the update. Afterwards, it'll ask you to manually reboot when done and you'll be in 3.03. If you need more information, this is a decent install guide:

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=40046

Darkforce

DERP!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks tama_mog, got it all sorted, it was much easier than I thought it was gonna be. =)
I made another topic asking about emulators on the system, so hopefully everyone will check that out! xD

ajjav924

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't go with a fake stick b/c you don't know when they will crap out on you. A genuine one is only a little bit more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021