About to begin using emunand... A little help? :)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by AlanWeird, Feb 19, 2016.

1. AlanWeird
    OP

AlanWeird GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2011
    Scotland
    So. I'm not a noob user. I've made an emunand before via gateway, and know a fair few of the ins and outs of it all.

I didn't really use it then, though. Mostly my CFW experiences have been using pasta, and I've lost track of loads of developments, so now I'm asking how I'm best going about this...

Right now, I have a new 3DS on 9.2, I'm running menuhax 2.5, and I'm interested more, I think, in reinand, and I'll use minipasta and sysnand regularly as well.

I want to use emunand for up-to-date things, to get updates, use eshop, play online in pokemon etc, and sysnand for my more general gaming. Playing anything I don't need 9.2+ for etc.

I'm still a bit clueless about linked and unlinked etc.

If some of you could weigh in on what my best options would be, or point me to a guide I've perhaps missed, then I'd appreciate that. I've done a ton of research, but I still don't feel too confident.

I'm currently backing up my microSD in prep to do all this tomorrow at some point :)

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    It's not normal practice to use sysNAND as well. When you create an emuNAND it will copy everything in your sysNAND so you'll have all the MiiPlaza progress, bought games, activity log etc. it makes sense to continue using emuNAND as your sole machine otherwise you have two sets of MiiPlaza stuff, two sets of activity log, etc. Plus you have to remember which game you are playing where so you can access your save files. Since you have menuhax set up, have it boot directly to ReiNand and leave sysNAND completely alone except when you have to (occasionally things have to be installed to sysNAND). Another danger of using sysNAND regularly is installing anything to sysNAND is dangerous. If it is corrupted or something you can brick your console. Whereas if you install something corrupted to emuNAND you can easily restore a backup and continue on carefree as you were before. Plus you might accidentally update your sysNAND since it won't be so obvious when you're in sysNAND.

As for linked and unlinked, unlinked is recommended, otherwise there's a huge bunch of annoying issues that pop up (eg you have to unwrap your CIAs every time you boot the emuNAND if they're linked, and if you visit data management in sysNAND with linked nands, all your games are erased). To unlink, format sysNAND with the SD card removed, or use TinyFormat.

AlanWeird likes this.
  3. AlanWeird
    OP

AlanWeird GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Okay. So, I'll use tinyformat to get my emunand sorted, and to format my sysnand. :) I'm clear as a bell on that stuff now.

A bit more reading seems to have my confidence in order.

I'll need to play with autoboot settings at some point too. I'll stick for now with "Hold L on boot to launch homebrew channel",

but from what I've seen, there's ways to make boot more reliable, point straight to reinand etc.

I'll check that out once I've done my first set of tasks :)

4. pre10c

pre10c GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2016
    Belgium
    you can make menuhax boot emunand without pressing a button by choosing type2 in the menuhax manager, but true coldboot isnt possible as of now

AlanWeird likes this.
  5. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    It is with arm9loaderhax, but only recommended for advanced users/devs.

6. pre10c

pre10c GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2016
    Belgium
    true but it is a very risky process wich basically requires a hardmod, and that is something the op doesnt have/ or doesnt even want to try