About the screen in Nvidia Shield Portable

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I was trying to find a used Nvidia Shield Portable because I've heard great things about its emulation skills, but when I checked the size of the screen I was taking a little aback - I thought it would have been bigger.
I saw that the screen it's a tad larger than the 3DS Xl one, and I am perfectly fine playing with, but I'd like to hear from someone who has the Nvidia if they have the impression the screen size subtract to the whole emulation experience.

Thank you :)

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't own one but have played on one a fair few times. The screen is ok. Its 720p and 5 inch but its good enough. However, the screen size isn't really the problem, its the form factor. Its quite clumsy to hold (in my experience) and the weight of the device isn't even so you do get wrist ache alot sooner than you would expect.

There are devices available that whilst not having the power of the shield are MUCH better in terms of layout, and will play the emulators just as well as the shield.

Ones to have a look at are the JXD 7800b, a few devices by GPD and there are a few new devices on the horizon as well. Have a look here to get all the information you want about what the choices are:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/index.php#c11

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've read about these devices, but the main complaint I've found about them is the built quality. Many people described them as "cheap". While the Nvidia isn't exactly as "portable" as other devices, people seem to have no complains regarding the quality of the machine. Did you have a particular device in mind?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've read about these devices, but the main complaint I've found about them is the built quality. Many people described them as "cheap". While the Nvidia isn't exactly as "portable" as other devices, people seem to have no complains regarding the quality of the machine. Did you have a particular device in mind?

The build quality on these devices isn't going to be the same quality as your 3DS console or your Vitas etc. Its never going to be any other way. But in reality, they really aren't that bad for what you pay for them. I owned a 7800b and whilst there were a few niggles software wise (these were eventually resolved) I never had a problem with them.

The GPD 5A is regarded as a good device as is the GPD7 (which is smilar, but with a 7 inch screen)

The other alternative is to just have a tablet, and pair it with a controller.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I am willing to pay for a better-built device, or else I would be in constant fear of seeing a button stop working, or the stick going loose, and so on. Reading reviews on Amazon makes me feel less safe about these things.
So you were telling me the screen is perfectly fine?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am willing to pay for a better-built device, or else I would be in constant fear of seeing a button stop working, or the stick going loose, and so on. Reading reviews on Amazon makes me feel less safe about these things.
So you were telling me the screen is perfectly fine?

The screen on the Shield is fine. What exactly are you worried about regarding the screen, have you read anything anywhere saying the screen isn't good? Its a good screen. Its IPS i believe, 720p as well which is perfectly fine for a 5 inch screen so it still looks razor sharp and is perfectly fine for emulation.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The screen on the Shield is fine. What exactly are you worried about regarding the screen
Well, it's the size. I've used to play a few ps1 games that I owned on the PSP (like Final Fantasy VIII), and I had no worries about the screen size, probably because the screen was fitted in the middle of the controllers. But seeing the Nvidia screen "pop out" like that, I'm a bit worried I'll find it too small for my liking. Like I said, I own a 3DS XL (4.88") and I have no problems with it, but maybe when it'll come to ps1 and n64 games I'll feel a bit "constrained".

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In this case you have to simply deal with its shortcomings.

That is the point, I'm not sure this is necessarily a shortcoming. I mean, sure, given the size of the controller the screen could have been bigger, but I'm guessing I'll be fine with it. The problem is I won't be able to hold the device in my hands before buying it, and I was looking for reassurance :wub:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...