• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About the current riots

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
but I am not seeing any evidence of present overt, covert, systemic failings being allowed to continue that speak to that.
I am (f.e. https://www.twincities.com/2020/04/...ites-to-be-arrested-for-pot-possession-in-mn/ ). The issue now becomes what you define as structural, and what you still let slide by.

But I see the current situation in a similar vain as you do.

Basically, issues should stem from practices of segregation that are still in place to this day in some states (Large commuities of predominantly black citizens f.e.). This leads to police not being seen as part of the community, or police becoming increasingly hostile towards that felt animosity ('you are not part of our community') which enhances group identification with your side of the issue, which should be the cause of most of the current issues. (Systemic racism, still being a problem beyond that though.)

At the same time, many of the protestors/rioters this time around where culturally diverse, and to say it more plainly - young white folks even. Those would riot because of economic or social conditions, not because they feel so much compassion for their fellow brother - so in addressing their (better: everybodies) 'needs' what you proposed, seems correct.

Part of the activists demands from above that speaks towards this as well, is to fund social community initiatives again.

So on the police side what you are seeing still is structural racism imho (that may have transformed to some sort of occupational tribalism, where also latino or asian police men can hook in), but on the demand side you see requests for social reforms ('deal with covid better') mixed in as well... Which then appeals to more people (black population in the US is around 14%).

So its more than a race riot, but its also a race riot.

edit:

We can shorten that, its flipping racism (Atlanta, Gerogia):

Last edited by notimp,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This all seems worse that the Rodney King riots. How did people not learn from that experience? Maybe a generation gap, of some sort? I’m frustrated too, but none of these actions help. This divide has become so much bigger since don took office.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would have to dig deeper into that and do a proper statistical analysis. Nationwide stats and self reported use ("use within the last 12 months" also has a wide disparity between "smoke weed everyday" and "maybe at a party"), combined with various levels of legalisation. Not to mention it is a fairly effective "need a charge, any charge" if you need to get someone off the street and they happen to be in possession of.
There could be something there, fine basis for a further investigation or anomaly to contemplate but it is at best a surface reading.

Police not being drawn from the community is a thing to consider, for reasons of local knowledge, for reasons you contemplate, incentives in policing (both ticket quotas and if you live there you have a vested interest) and more besides.

"from practices of segregation that are still in place to this day in some states"
That is a dubious assertion from where I sit. Segregation is an actively enforced measure whereas I am not seeing that today. This is also not considering the ever fun "white flight" concept in this.

Basically I have a hard time looking at things and coming up with racism as a thing. Or if you prefer America does not have a racism problem but it does have a poverty problem, and attempting to address it as racism is going after the wrong cause which means any effects are going to be secondary at best.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Segregation is an actively enforced measure whereas I am not seeing that today.
Well economically enforced, but I'm no radical in that sense - not enforced is fine with me, if you insist. I'm just jumping on the fact, that those communities exist and usually arent very economically heterogenious. We all know what another recession does to them and US society at large (low savings quota), all it takes is really just a spark, and everyone was just waiting to see when something like this would happen. (Spark looks still pretty racist from where I'm sitting though.. ;) )

Came back to state, that so far 4.000 people have been arrested at those protests nationwide (in the US). So clamp down is pretty significant. Curfews are now active in more than 40 cities.

edit:

MSNBC:

Last edited by notimp,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been seeing a lot of this lately.
2YLqUJg.png

The funniest one was Disney and Star Wars. After they did this. I guess all that PR speak on Twitter goes out the window, when it comes to Chinese money.

Wripjlp.jpg
I wonder why Chewbecca was removed!

Reactions: Fugelmir

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@phalk, @gempugs, @sergey3000 : this section's separated from the gaming section. I get not everyone wants to talk about it, but it's really not hard to avoid it. Besides...contributing (even voicing that you don't want to talk about it) is only increasing the size of these threads. So...sorry we interrupt your daily browsing habits, but you've got plenty of reading material left. :)

You're misunderstanding. Maybe I'm at fault for not being clear enough though.
My reply is directed at this thread in specific, not the political discussions subject.
The OP seemed annoyed that there was not a single thread about the current protests in this forum.

No one has any obligation to discuss anything anywhere, much less at gbatemp which is not a political discussion fórum or political news outlet even though it allows it.

Last edited by phalk,

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could have sworn members were saying how much they don't want to see politics on temp and even complained about not having an option to filter it out. So yeah... Not surprising that the riots in multiple countries are not being discussed here. Honestly, based on a lot of the comments here, I doubt you would want to read some of the things users have to say about it. For example, read above and see how illogical these opinions can be.

Last edited by gman666,

Sorox

Master Firo Soul
Trophies
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I come to a Hacking website to learn and read about hacking. I don't come here to read or discuss current events.

That isn't to say I don't have an opinion, but this just really isn't the place to discuss it. Internet forums in general aren't, but damn near every forum has a politics section, so its gonna happen.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I have no idea where you would have got that impression.
Well i saw some guys couple of times saying "this is a gaming forum talk politics somewhere else" so i presumed since they didn't pointed him to politics thread that there is no politics thread, and than i stumble upon this.

It is bizzare to be honest. It is a gaming thread but im not interested in politics anyway..at least not from a politics standpoint but its interesting to know there IS one :vul1:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I come to a Hacking website to learn and read about hacking. I don't come here to read or discuss current events.

That isn't to say I don't have an opinion, but this just really isn't the place to discuss it. Internet forums in general aren't, but damn near every forum has a politics section, so its gonna happen.

@FAST6191 See? ^ I mean i agree with him, but whatever...

@Sorox Yeah i came here also for the same reason and i was surprised there actually IS this section.
I am here from 2010 or so and only now i learned about this xD

Last edited by MetoMeto,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could have sworn members were saying how much they don't want to see politics on temp and even complained about not having an option to filter it out. So yeah... Not surprising that the riots in multiple countries are not being discussed here. Honestly, based on a lot of the comments here, I doubt you would want to read some of the things users have to say about it. For example, read above and see how illogical these opinions can be.
Some of us come here to GBATemp to escape that bullshit. It's the only website I frequent where I can avoid it... Or used to...
Well i saw some guys couple of times saying "this is a gaming forum talk politics somewhere else" so i presumed since they didn't pointed him to politics thread that there is no politics thread, and than i stumble upon this.

It is bizzare to be honest. It is a gaming thread but im not interested in politics anyway..at least not from a politics standpoint but its interesting to know there IS one :vul1:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@FAST6191 See? ^

I mean i agree with him, but whatever...

Re: blocking this section out
https://gbatemp.net/account/new-content
Personally I am content to scroll on by but "your screen, your rules" applies just as happily as it does anywhere else. Unfortunate to lose the input of people but hey.

I already mentioned that such discussions have been happening for as long as I have been here and as far back as my explorations have taken me (the several dozen pages of this section taper off around 2006-2007 and content gets a bit spotty the further back you go in general thanks to various shuffles), nor would earlier times have precluded them or even really seen them be less in relative number or how apparent they are in the daily view new posts.
Banning them would go against the general principle of an open discussion forum too. Even if we could figure out what is politics (do we ban discussions of the latest DMCA or copyright rework? It is directly applicable to a lot of things around here after all and discussion can get just as heated. Free speech? While in less of a precarious position than in years past we do still see any number of fronts attacking the ability of game makers to make the game they want to make. Do we tell the gay alphabet soup crowd, among those several prominent and valued members that would probably claim to have enjoyed having a place to speak, to take a hike as many statements there would fall well into the realms of politics, seriously divisive ones at that even within the overall umbrella of said gay alphabet soup?). I am, and I can say with certainty all the decision makers are, well aware of the "don't talk about politics or religion" notions of site/community building, it is not a notion without merit either if you seek to minimise conflict but I would say I usually only see that in goal driven forums, simple support/dev forums, or heavily specific forums.

Some members may reckon it is better to do away with it. Their opinion to hold if they want.
Others want an echo chamber it seems, or a bias by any other phrasing... you would be welcome to your own opinion on that one but know you are wrong.
I would also be among the first to note that many here don't have terribly well thought out or developed opinions on many things, and the chances of learning much of great merit is low. That is OK as plenty of others also don't have terribly well developed skills in hacking but we still seem to teach new people all the time as well.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was cool with it when they torched a police precinct, I was even kind of cool with it when they decimated a Target store (Target provides a large amount of funding to police forces in their areas, along with racial profiling they participate in with their asset protection). I was also on their side when a paid or rogue agent provocateur working with the St. Paul Police (officially denied, of course) set fire to an AutoZone and threw rocks at police later that day.

Then I saw the footage of a group of people beating down a man for trying to defend his favorite bar with a sword. Sorry, but you people have lost my respect, you could have worked with the "boog bois" but you called them far-right white supremacists, when that couldn't be further from the truth. We could have ended the war on drugs, which is THE number one reason police are as shitty as they are. We could have improved race relations, we could have been a nation to be envied for its liberty. Instead, we have a nation divided, and easily conquered. The extreme left calling the far right racist for not agreeing with them, and the far-right getting even more racist in retaliation.

What's going to happen instead? Trump is going to violate Posse Comitatus and the Constitution and send in the US military and put down your little uprising, and it won't stop there. Just wait until the National Guard or other military branch patrolling the streets with the regular police becomes a daily part of life. You'll beg for the days when a street cop killing a black guy for a victimless crime was the worst thing that could happen. You're a part of history now, history repeating itself. The rise of absolute tyranny is all but completely inevitable at this point. Won't be long before you'll regret all that gun control we passed, I guarantee it. I bet ol' Winnie over in China is just overjoyed about what's to come of the future!

D

Deleted User

The Nintendo store in NY suffered some damage during the riots.

EZds3T9X0AE8ERZ

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
over in China is just overjoyed
After how Americans reacted to the situation in HK, Chinese people have every reason feel Schadenfreude or call for China to send equipment and money to the rioters... excuse me... "activists". But it seems most Chinese are not really interested in the topic. Even I am quite shocked at how bad the situation is and how quickly it developed. Very brutal on both sides... like what the hell?
If I had any say in this I would make sure that
-the police shows more restraint (when there is no real danger; not talking about stopping a car driver which might have a weapon; or riots)
-drugs are legalized (at least the harmless ones; just to reduce criminality that harms "nobody")
-the black community stops using the victim card all the time; they can only do it because of the education system and media (similar to HK btw)
-the funding of these riots stops and the people are prosecuted

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,
Reactions: hoist20032002

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
I came to see if anyone was talking about this and as a black gamer going through a hell of a time and I appreciate those who aren't trying to hide from it and bring it to the surface.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.