About ROM decryption (translation patches)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Montblanc, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Montblanc
    OP

Montblanc Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2011
    Italy
    I apologize in advance if this question has been already asked.

Basically, i would love to put my efforts in translating a game in my native language, but that's not possibile until a decryption method has been found and a way to play hacked roms is out in the wild (I guess the Gateway will do the trick?).

What I would like to know is if there is already someone working on decrypting roms. I heard it won't be that hard since encryption should be very similar to Wii or DS. Can you confirm this?

Thanks guys!

P.S.: The game I'm talking about is eShop *only*, I guess that's another problem...

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Not yet. Encryption is tougher than the DS.
    Also, eShop games are even harder to decrypt than retail ones.

Montblanc likes this.
  3. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Nope,nope and nope.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There was no encryption on the DS beyond the "secure area" which is largely irrelevant.

As for "working on it" I am not sure that is going to be how it goes down here. Most will probably just be waiting on the actual hacks to the system which will then tend to reveal the data. As it stands there should be tools ready to go once the keys are known and from what little has been seen the formats should be easy enough to work with ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-little-bit-of-3ds-rom-hacking.333348/ ).

Eshop only might trouble things a tiny bit but realistically it will probably be almost the same in terms of how things are structured.

Montblanc likes this.
  5. profi200

profi200 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2011
    Gambia, The
    All eShop stuff and savegames on the SD card are encrypted with AES-CTR using the hardware AES engine. Even if you can get the KeyY (with haxx for example), you need the KeyX and you must know, how the keyscrambler works. If you have full system access, you can easily decrypt all games but you can't resign them.

Montblanc likes this.
  6. Montblanc
    OP

Montblanc Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2011
    Italy
    Thanks for your answers, guys. So, there's nothing I can do right now. I'm going to wait and see how things will unroll in the future. :)