About Portable Gaming

Lord M

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everybody.
Since i'm a little noob about specs needed for run games and emulators very well, and my gaming dream are to have finally a portable GC and ps2, and maybe a 60fps (sooner or later we all know that this will be happen, but why not now? LOL)
I was amazed by performance of GPD Win (Super Mario Strikers for GC, as i saw, run at 60fps anyway lol)

Now, dont know if anyone here know about the developing of Smach Z, a new portable device that maybe will be launched at December of this year.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-handheld-gaming-pc

His main specs are:
  • CPU: AMD Merlin Falcon RX-421BD (12-15w) SoC at 2.1 GHz (max to 3.4 GHz)
  • Cores: 4/4
  • iGPU: Radeon R7 at 800 MHz
  • RAM: 4GB (SMACH Z) || 8GB (SMACH Z PRO) DDR4 2133 MHz
  • HD: 64GB (SMACH Z) || 128GB (SMACH Z PRO)
  • Screen: 6” FULL HD (1920x1080). Capacitive touch-screen
His specs are too close to Razer Edge Pro, that have CPU base 1.6 GHz, max to 3 GHz, and 8GB RAm (same as Pro version of this Smach Z)
I see that run many ps2 games very well (maybe some at 60fps?), so, obviously, Smach Z Pro can handle ps2 very well, right?

I mean, in this videos, you can see much ps2 games runs at stable 60fps, and this guy's pc specs are not much different from Smach Z (Smach max GHz are 3.4, only 0.1 less than that PC, and same RAM)

That PC specs, as you can read in video description, are:

Intel Core i3 4150 3.5GHz
8GB RAM DDr3 1600MHz (2x4GB Dual Channel)
MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 ti Twin Frozr OC 2GB

So, this is why now i need a expert opinion, because at first look, i can believe right that maybe Smach Z pro can really handle ps2 games at stable 60fps?
(not to mention that he set 1080p, maybe unecessary on portable device, so for sure, at least me, set resolution at 720p or less)

Last edited by Lord M,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
...a new portable device that maybe will be launched at December of this year.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-handheld-gaming-pc
Not to dash the hopes, but the initial release date was november last year. I don't know where you have December this year from, but the page claims april. Then again, december might be more realistic.

Sorry, but I won't speculate on what these specs mean in terms of gaming. The page mentions the following...

Emulators. SMACH Z will be the best handheld device for emulation, and Retro Z-Pads will bring your fingers back to the past. NES, SuperNintendo, Megadrive, Playstation 1 and 2, Nintendo64, GameCube or even Wii games will be in your hands.

...but of course that's not much of a reference. :)

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The AMD Merlin Falcon RX421BD could possibly run emulators at 720p 30fps if you keep settings at native for emulators like PCSX2. Its probably hit or miss depending on the game though. I'm pretty sure this SoC is a couple years old now so there are probably more powerful SoCs out there the nVidia X2 or a mobile Core i7. Saying that I think your probably better off getting a Microsoft Suface Pro 4 with an i7 or the next Surface Pro line.

Lord M

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Surface Pro 4 is too expensive...
But i see few ps2 games run over 40-50 fps on GPD Win (such as KH II Final Mix+), and Smach Z Pro is more powerful...
And Smach Z Turbo frequence are higher than SP4

So, right now, which are the best portable device for PS2 and GC/WII emulation? (not laptop indeed; im talking about a portable device that look like a portable console :P )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol