Abe's New & Tasty revealed

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Clarky, Oct 1, 2012.

Oct 1, 2012

Abe's New & Tasty revealed by Clarky at 8:05 PM (1,678 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Clarky
    OP

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    [​IMG]
    Although a remake of Abe's Oddysee was confirmed a while back we now have pictures to prove it! Developed by Just Add Water, who also did some recent rework on Strangers Wrath. Oddworld Inhabitants founder Lourne Lanning said that this remake will feature scrolling levels, dynamic lighting and various 3d effects. He also revealed the game will feature 80-90% of the same puzzles but some have been changed to make use of the new features and there has even been word of making some of the puzzles easier to make it friendlier to gamers. Abe's new and tasty is set for release next Autumn on Live Arcade, PSN (including Vita) and PC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdIGD5MpOM
    (gameplay starts around 41:25)​

SOURCE

Only ever played the demo on the PSOne, now that everything old is new I may go back and look at this

2. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    This was the first PS1 game I ever played.
    How time flies :(

3 people like this.
  3. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I'm waiting for the influx of lawsuits from people who tried to "just add water" to their consoles. That name is seriously misleading!

I never played the original game, but with this enhancement on the way, I don't really have an excuse for missing out. (Though I do wonder... if this is Abe's oddysee, will we get to see his illiad?)

1 person likes this.
  4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I played the original game on the PS1 for a while but none of the subsequent games or games set in the universe. I have a feeling I would appreciate a return to it- although I had played numerous other "weird" platform (huge Earthworm Jim fan and no stranger to the C64 and Amiga) and such (also great fan of MDK) games this one sailed somewhat past me.

Gahars I am starting to think Aeneid a break from these puns.

3 people like this.
  5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Oh man I just want new ones but I have to buy Abe again to keep Oddworld afloat!

1 person likes this.
  6. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    This is awesome news!
    I am such a huge fan of the Oddworld series, with Abe's oddysee being my fave.
    The Oddbox collection is one of my most prized games, and I also own Oddworld Inhabitants, which has some amazingly beautiful concept art.
    I cannot wait to buy this.

7. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

Nice! Can't wait!

8. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    MDK and Earthworm Jim are awesome titles, as is this one. I remember when I first played an EJ title, the scrolling backgrounds and wonderfully animated sprites were very impressive, lending other titles to imitate the effects and general approach of the game. Too bad Boogerman didn't really stick. Eww.

Let see if Abe can Titan its grip on a genre currently dominated by Mario and Rayman.

1 person likes this.
  9. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    This is such an awesome game, everyone should try to play it once. I hope if this gets good numbers, we can see some new titles to complete the quintology.

10. gumgod

Member gumgod GBAtemp Regular

United States

Lame, but of course they'd do this. Kids these days can't play a 'hard' game, if they can't figure it out in less than 5 minutes they whine and call it a bad game.

edit: This was also the first PS1 game that I owned.

11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Wow...I was just playing Abe's Exoddus on a PSX emulator a couple days ago. Awesome news...but I wonder how that scrolling part is going to work out. The convenient thing about that 'screen by screen' gameplay (kinda like the top-down Zelda's have) is that it's instantly visible what the gameplay elements are. In that video (the gameplay bit), I already found it much harder to make out important details from the background (things like traps and elevators). And how are they going to make it clear where you can chant and where not?

I'll also doubting the decision of making puzzles easier. Oddyssey (and Exoddus) where brilliantly designed: not always easy, but never frustratingly. In other words: always fair and very rewarding if you figured it out. Christ...Abe's oddyssey would be one of my first examples on how to make puzzles just RIGHT.

But enough on the negative. Abe's Oddyssey was awesome, and I'll certainly look into this. :-)

12. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    I remember the oddworld games, I spent way too much time with them when I was younger. That being said the first two games were damn hard at times often requiring good memory and reflexes.
    I loved the style of the oddworld games, they have a certain grit to them while also managing to be stylish and unique.

13. Weaselpipe

Member Weaselpipe Erratic Temp user

United Kingdom
    This was also the first PS1 game I owned (as in had a copy of, not pwned) but I think making one or two of the puzzles easier would not distract from the brilliance.
    There was one area in particular where- due to the poor placement of places you could save- one slip up meant pretty much restarting the game. Remove that and all will be fine.

14. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I'm proud to know that buying all the Oddworld games on Steam would lead to something :wub:

Can't wait!

15. narutofan777

Member narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    What is so great about this game? I saw it when I was kid, it looked ugly.

16. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    That's awesome, I loved that game!

[yt]2eacxC3D4uo[/yt]

I'm getting a bit Freaky here... :D

17. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    This game was amazing. Took me nearly 3 years to beat playing off and on.

18. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Can't wait. I tried to introduce my kids to this on PS2 a while back and it was a bit too tricky to stick. I look forward to trying again, and to playing it again myself.
    I do kind of wish they'd just kept it the same and not introduced new audio and scrolling and all that, but that's mainly due to nostalgia on my part, I'm sure I'll get over it.

20. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I agree with that. It made the game feel like there was a puzzle on every separate screen.