A9LH/menuhax/Gateway question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ricosuave0922, Mar 18, 2016.

1. ricosuave0922
    OP

ricosuave0922 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2014
    United States
    I currently have two 2DS running menuhax and a O3DS XL running 4.2 with Gateway and emunand 10.7. I am looking into getting a N3DS and trying to plan my modding methods.

I am used to booting to sysnand and then profile exploit to get into gateway emunand. My wife and I both know to never touch the sysnand and only use the emunand. When updates come out, we wait for updated gateway launcher (if necessary) then update the emunand.

From what i can tell if i want to A9LH the N3DS then ill end up with a "updated sysnand" (which I'm not fully sure i understand) and i can have a 9.2 emunand if i want. So that would mean if i want to use my gateway i have to hold R to boot the the 9.2 emunand, then use the browser hax to load into gateway mode? That seems like a lot more work. Is there a better way of doing this that I'm not seeing? or is it just better to menuhax it and be done?

On a side note, could someone explain the "updated sysnand" a little. Like how to i update? do i need to wait for anything before updating or is it just patched somehow so that updating will be fine no matter what going forward?

2. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    unless i am mistaken there is no reason for you to switch to A9LH if you want to continue to use gateway, since you will still have to use menuhax in A9LH since gateway doesn't have a A9LH payload.
    your best bet would to not use updated sysnand keep sysnand on 9.2 and emunand on 10.7 set up menuhax in your 9.2 emunand boot into that and have that load gateway emunand like you're already doing but at this point that would be pointless, unless i am mistaken.
    if you really want to keep using the gateway just stick with menuhax until gateway releases a arm9loaderhax.bin loader.

ricosuave0922 likes this.
  3. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    I can only explain the updated sysNAND

With A9LH, the CFWs AuReiNand and CakesFW write-protect the FIRM 0 and FIRM 1 partitions (where the A9LH is installed) so you can update sysNAND without uninstall A9LH

A9LH can access Arm9 kernel on boot, making possible to run the CFWs code even on updated sysNAND

Since AuReiNand and CakesFW protect FIRM 0/1, if you brick sysNAND you can easily use the A9LH version of Decrypt9WIP and restore your sysNAND like you do on emuNAND

astronautlevel and ricosuave0922 like this.
  4. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    but if he did that gateway would load the 9.2 emunand and if he had menuhax on the 9.2 emunand it would just keep loading itself over and over
    it'd be better to not use updated sysnand keep sysnand on 9.2 and emunand on 10.7 that way he can have menuhax on 9.2 sysnand and let gateway load the updated emunand.

5. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Yeap, if he wants to keep gateway card, but he asked about updated sysNAND and that is the only topic I know what to answer xD

6. CreAtor135

CreAtor135 GBATemp's #1 Nothing

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    I think it'd be best for you to stay on 9.2 sysNAND with an updated emuNAND if you want a9lh with Gateway. That way you can use the Gateway Launcher .CIA after booting into sysNAND.

7. ricosuave0922
    OP

ricosuave0922 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2014
    United States