A9hl sd card corruption

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jtfnroy, Oct 6, 2016.

1. jtfnroy
    OP

jtfnroy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Hi,

I've been following Plailect's guide and have got pretty far. I've got a9hl on my new 3ds, with lump and hourglass. I was trying to do the health and safety dump to replace with fbi but this kept failing to dump. I then noticed my system software had rolled back to 9.2 after I had updated it to the latest version. I tried to install a cia from the fbi in homebrew launcher which succeed but failed to show on the home screen. It seems the sd card I'm using is fake. Sd inspect shows it at 67gb capacity and as 'invalid' manufacturer which certainly had me as sceptical. Anyway, all the files I need appear to be on the card, I've backed them all up and copied across to abother sd card, but my ds seems to recognise it's not the original card I used and auto shut down. Is there any way I can transfer all these files to another sd card? I've seen you can use emuNAND9 to upgrade to a larger sd card, is this safe to use with the configuration I have?

2. shadow910512

shadow910512 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2016
    Malaysia
    Meowland
    are you on a sysnand or emunand setup?
    first you need arm9loaderhax.bin from luma at the root of the new sd card

3. jtfnroy
    OP

jtfnroy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    I think it's sysnand, the guide refers to that regularly. Is there a program that will transfer the files from one (corrupted) sd card to another? And is that a usual thing that the 3ds won't boot with another sd card even tho the files are copied across?

4. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    I've seen situations before where my 3DS wouldn't recognize a freshly formatted SD card. People would suggest to format to FAT32 with a PC app, but what I found work best is to format it with emuNAND9 directly on the 3DS. Then it's just a matter of copying your files.

5. jtfnroy
    OP

jtfnroy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    That sounds good, will it mess my sysnand setup around tho?

6. Dust2dust

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    No, it should be fine. Remember that if the system auto shuts down (just the blue led flashing and powering off the system after a sec) your a9lh is working properly, but not finding what it wants on the SD card. Check the contents to make sure, especially the file arm9loaderhax.bin.

7. jtfnroy
    OP

jtfnroy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    I literally copied all of the files from the corrupted sd card into my phone (my PC is broken) and them from the phone to the sd card. The 3ds just powered down like you said after no time at all. (I thought the battery had died at first). I'm pretty lucky the corruption happened when it did really, a couple of steps earlier and it'd have been £120 down the drain.

Just to be clear. I can load up emuNAND from homebrew launcher and that'll allow me to format the new sd card?

Oh and I just tried to load up homebrew launcher by holding the down button on the d pad and nothung, it just loaded up the normal homepage. Why would that happen? It was loading fine on boot up yesterday...

Last edited by jtfnroy, Oct 6, 2016
  8. Dust2dust

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    emuNAND9 is a 3DS app and should be launchable from homebrew launcher, yes. Just format the SD card with it. Then you just copy the needed files back to the SD card. Said needed files are listed on plailect's guide, at the very end.

9. jtfnroy
    OP

jtfnroy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    OK, thank you. I'll do that when I get home. I tried to load up homebrew launcher by holding the down button on my d pad (which worked yesterday) but now it doesn't and goes straight through to the main 3ds homepage. Any idea why that is? Will I be able to sort it out by resetting the date/time and going the browser route?

10. Dust2dust

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    If I remember correctly (been a few months since I followed the guide), holding down on the D-pad was related to menuhax, so maybe it's uninstalled on your system now. Anyway, starting the Homebrew Launcher requires an SD card (with HL on it). If you have a9lh installed, which I think you do, just use one of your SD card that the 3DS can somewhat read, and put emuNAND9 in there as a payload. Get Emunand9 from https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases and then extract the file EmuNAND9.bin to your /luma/payloads/ folder on the SD card. Rename EmuNAND9.bin to x_EmuNAND9.bin. Re-insert the SD card in the 3DS. Now, re-boot your 3DS while holding the X button, and EmuNAND9 should run. Choose the option to format an SD card. It will tell you when it's time to switch SD card. Once it's properly formatted, copy the needed files, and you should be ok.

11. jtfnroy
    OP

jtfnroy Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    Thank you so much for your help. That worked a treat. I just need to pick up where I was now. I noticed the system software had somehow rolled back to 9.2 I have since updated it to the latest version. The guide says to restore my nand backup after updating, could that step be what rolled my system software back? Do I still need to restore the back up now? Thank you for all of your help, I'd have had to give up without it.

Edit- I just tried to dump health and safety in hourglass, but that is still showing an error. It comes up with;

Code / Crypto: CTR-N-HACP / 7x
    Slot0x25KeyX not set up
    This wont work on o3ds < 7.x or A9lh
    Health&safety Dump: failed!

Any ideas how to get around this? If I can inject fbi there it looks like I'm pretty much done.

Last edited by jtfnroy, Oct 7, 2016
  12. Dust2dust

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Hmm, the goal of Plailect's guide is to install a9lh. If it's already installed on your system, no need to proceed any further. You're done. Just make sure you have the right files on your SD card, do a final nand dump and keep it safe somewhere, and then play around, installing cias and stuff. If you have a9lh and luma as CFW, you can update safely to the latest 3DS firmware version.

Edit: FBI will let you install cias. I don't think you really need to inject it in health and safety. If you can run it with homebrew launcher (the 3dsx file) , do it and install fbi.cia (in the same zip). Then you'll have it on your main menu. Much better.

Last edited by Dust2dust, Oct 9, 2016
  13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    FBI needs to be injected because it will not work from homebrew over 9.2.

Dust2dust likes this.