A way to repair DOOM ?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Torina, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Torina
    OP

Torina Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2018
    France
    Hi all,

First of all, I would like to thank this community for all the interesting info it exchanges daily.
    Seriously, I wasn't aware I was a tech savvy...that much.

Here is a curse I've been cast five months ago.
    I enjoyed DOOM on cartridge, from start to finish, on a virginal unhacked NS. One day, I tried the 8Go update and saw that it provided nothing to the solo experience (besides cheesy dialogues).

I removed this useless and heavy update so my saves went unusable, so, no big deal, I erased all to play again from scratch.
    No, the game kept asking to update, plane mode or not. Enraged, I threw the cartridge to the closest garbage and felt better.

Today, I tried something new, but have the EXACT SAME ISSUE with NSP files.
    So, somewhere in my data, there is a line that specifies " If you wanna play what you bought (or used to), fill your memory card with useless crap ". This game IS satanic.

Is any way known to play DOOM again without this useless updates ?

Cheers

2. Mnecraft368

Mnecraft368 I hate my name.

Aug 8, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Afaik, there is no way to play a game without updates after being updated.

Torina likes this.
  3. wurstpistole

wurstpistole GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Doesn't matter whether you use original cart, XCI or NSP now - you have savedata on your console that was created with an updated version and the console will not start this game without it.

Torina and Mnecraft368 like this.
  4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Your system remember that you installed the update, so you need the update if you want to run the game.

Torina and Mnecraft368 like this.
  5. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    Italy
    Sad that I didn't even start playing but I downloaded this huge update and it seems it was for nothing rather than 8GB less on my storage.

Torina likes this.
  6. Torina
    OP

Torina Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2018
    France
    "Sad that I didn't even start playing but I downloaded this huge update and it seems it was for nothing rather than 8GB less on my storage."

I feel the same way. I should have posted earlier to warn you :)

"Your system remember that you installed the update, so you need the update if you want to run the game."

That's what I thought.
    So apparently, there are currently no ways to erase this embarrassing memory...What a shame. Gotta call the MIB.

Thanks guys for your quick feedback.

Tumbleweed likes this.
  7. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    yup once you update your switch will never want to play the cartridge again without update downloaded, also doom latest update improves resoultion and framerate and adds gyro controls so its not useless anymore for singleplayer :P

Tumbleweed likes this.
  8. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    Actually you can fix it... if you have devmenu, find the application and use "reset required version" then you can play it. That being said, the update does improve framerate a bit so it's not completely useless.

Torina likes this.
  9. Mnecraft368

Mnecraft368 I hate my name.

Aug 8, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Just for the future, pressing the reply button under someones message automatically puts their message into a quote box.

Torina likes this.
  10. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    The hacking community needs to find the file that lets the switch know a game has been updated. Then create a program to ready it and edit it.

Last edited by Captain_N, Aug 26, 2018
    Torina likes this.
  11. Torina
    OP

Torina Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2018
    France
    Thanks ! Life always finds a way.
    Sadly I was glad to erase all my donors when I received my SX stuff. Joke on me...

See ? I'm a quick learner.

Yeah, that would be neat !
    DOOM is cool and really enjoyable on the original version (framerate drop and no gyro were not an issue to me), playing it with 14Go instead of 22 would be a big plus.
    I find the memory management on Switch even more obnoxious than it was on VITA:

Vita: 64gb=80€ (play asia) => 42 games (PSX/PSP/and many "big" PSVITA ones) and their updates
    NS: 64Gb=40€ (common retailer) => 6 games, no updates

I'm really not fond of HD games...