A very special message

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by mthrnite, Oct 15, 2007.

Oct 15, 2007

A very special message by mthrnite at 6:21 PM (10,703 Views / 0 Likes) 142 replies

1. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    A very special message
    From mthrnite
    [​IMG]

Good day fellow 'tempers,
    I wanted to say just a couple of things... First of all:

GBAtemp is a discussion forum, and we prefer and promote at least semi-intelligent discussions at that. Lately there's been a whole lot of clutter around here to clean up, and I think with a modicum of restraint from our members, we, the moderators can allow you to govern yourselves. That's the way we like it. We prefer to spend our time helping you to enjoy the site, not stopping flame-wars and deleting useless topics and posts. If you feel the desire to spew forth gobbledegook, we have a perfectly serviceable Testing Area, shoutbox, and of course there's always irc...

So please, be civil towards each other. If you think someone is being a jerk, that's fine, but if you call them a jerk, then hey-presto! you have just steered the topic right into a flame war! A much better way to handle an ass-monkey is to report them. At the bottom of each post is a REPORT! link, clicking that will allow you to alert a moderator to the offensive post, and help keep the topic from devolving. Then reach around and pat yourself on the back, having done your part in keeping GBAtemp from turning into GameF***.

Actually, if you take a couple of minutes to read the forum rules, you will, in following them, instantly become a more useful member of our community. We of course want you to have fun here, but if you are the only one having fun, then you are likely headed straight for a warning, suspension, or worse. So take a second to think before you type, the site will be the better for it.

Oh, and by the way... Our fifth birthday is coming up later this month, and we have a small surprise in store. I'd tell you more about it, but all this moderating is wearing my fingers out, so you'll just have to wait a bit. Suffice it to say, I like it, and I think you'll like it too. It's something many of us have been asking for, and soon the wait will be over.

Thanks for reading this, and again, please take a minute to review the forum rules. Help keep GBAtemp the best we can be. You, after all, are what we are made of, and you are who I proudly serve.

Sincerely,
    mthrnite

2. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    I think that's going to be a problem, seeing as how the average age of members is now 12. (Thanks, everybody who posted about the R4 on Nintendo's forums!)

3. dualscreenman

Member dualscreenman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Meh, at least NSider no longer exists...

4. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I still think there should be a special board for 'useful' members... But I agree with this, you put it really well mthrnite. Unfortunately, there will always be idiots, exactly like the people who post about R4s on Nintendo's own forum...

- Sam

5. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    A "VIP" area? I think that's a good idea (if you let me in, of course)

6. Helmut

Member Helmut GBAtemp Regular

France
    That's sadly things that happens in a community with such a member age average.

And don't forgot Murphy's law: "Anything That Can Possibly Go Wrong, Does". [​IMG]

But well, keep going, I can't wait to see if there will be any contest for GBATemp forth birthday like the 14th february one [​IMG].

7. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    I hadn't noticed, but flame discussions are bad in a forum.
    After all I first joined, because it was a NICE forum.

Q~

8. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    Well said mthrnite. It's a shame most of the ass-monkeys mentioned probably won't even bother reading the post (or will they? I'd be surprised).

9. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    We're coming up on our fifth birthday, if I'm countin' right.

..and I have much faith that our younger members have working brains, and know how to use them.
    Remember, you're all young'uns to me, lol.

Also, if you happen to notice a stronger arm in the moderating team, it is no accident. I just thought it best to appeal to your better natures before slammin' down the hammer left and right. Be good, or papa spank, etc...

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Nice one Mthr and co! There's a lot of negativity in the other comments here but this' a pretty damned good step in the right direction.

You know what... in all the time I've been here I never noticed that button. [​IMG]

11. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Oh snap, I just read the rules and it seems that your sig is too large mthrnite!

12. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Roms? XD

Im restless to think what it could be. And you could learn a lesson or two from yer mthr, listen to yer mthr! [​IMG]

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I think that new members should only be allowed to see certain parts of the forum and then after say maybe a month get access to the rest of the board.

14. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    I'm amazed to see the huge amount of "veterans" that get modded every day. I would expect them to act in a better way... but let's face it, the world is full of dumb people. Sure, you can get your wires crossed and reply with a flame/insult ONCE, but when you turn it into your main source of fun (aka "trolling"), you're better off with a "BANNED!" label all over your face.

I will still recommend GBATemp to everyone I know, even if we all have to face the risk of this forum getting full of people from those other boards... although, last time I tried to convince someone that GBATemp was a way better source of info, he replied with a nice "OMG NOES! I don't have an account and I don't want to register one!1!" xD

Bah... let's hope everyone knows how to act. And if they don't, enforce the rules and let them have it!

15. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Hopefully I'm not one of those people you speak of.

16. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    Ditto.

17. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Then you need to read the rules again.

18. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    That sounds like a good idea...

- Sam

19. deufeufeu

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    I agree with you mthrnite in all you have said. Lately this forum has become less enjoyable than before for me, mainly because the coolest topics are buried under a pile of sh*t. On the other hand I can't be satisfied thinking that it is due to the board being crowded and thus, we should keep the doors closed to new ones, or, which is equivalent if you turn it around, make a special vip part. I like this forum to be open. But we have to think a bit about how we can still be an open community and keep quality talk here.

20. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    if the avg age is 12, then to help filter this out why don't you add a age verification and limit of 13, many forums have those type of restrictions. I'm sure there will be people that will still ignore it but its worth a try.