A Ubisoft Dev Confirms Some Rumoured Wii U Specs

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Aug 19, 2012.

Aug 19, 2012
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Some time ago during the whole pre-E3 rumour-rama crap that got posted, GoNintendo mentioned these rumoured specs:

Obviously there was no source back then so as usual we ignored it along with other rumours. Well it looks like those could have been true as Ubisoft's very own Rémi Génin...that's an actual person from a named company, not "an unnamed source from a unnamed publisher" has written on their LinkedIn Profile the following:

[​IMG]

Now that confirms part of the original rumour but it could also confirm the rest of the specs...to me it means nothing until I see a game in motion but it could be of interest to others.

So far Ubisoft have been posting stuff about the console before Nintendo, maybe they'll beat Nintendo to the rest of the info ;)

Source

Source

2. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This definitely gives the claims some much needed legitimacy, but I'm always wary about specs-ulating.

3 people like this.
  3. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    I remember reading that the rumored specs would put it around 4x current gen machines in terms of computing power.
    Obviously there's more to it than that because of the modern graphical features newer GPU's support.

I wonder what the competition has up their sleeves... here's hope for a new PS2/GC/Xbox like era.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well, if the original source knew the name of the API being used for the GPU then it's a good bet the rest of the info is true as well.

5. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm hoping that the gap wont be so big, sure blah blah gameplay over graphics etc but it does help secure 3rd party releases if the consoles aren't that much of a gap like Wii was to 360/PS3 because we ended up getting shafted on some of those titles.

3 people like this.
  6. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Sony and Microsoft will almost always one-up Nintendo spec-wise, because if they go toe-to-toe with Nintendo on equal footing, god forbid, we'd have a Nintendo dominated monopoly that could potentially stagnate the gaming market. And besides, specs are almost always their ONLY advantage.

7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I think the Xbox rumor was 6x, so it doesn't seem like they are that far behind.

8. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Dev kit specs change all the time, this isn't news worthy. Final release specs will either be more or less powerful then what the developers have to make games with.

9. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    So it can opt between anti-aliased 720p or no-anti-aliased 1080p, hmm.

10. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Sony and Microsoft realistically can't do a whole lot more then what Nintendo is going to offer without really starting to alienate the consumers. Unless both companies want another PS3 launch type of fiasco where the console costs in excess of 700 dollars without the cost of games factored in, they are going to have to be very careful what kind of technology they put into their consoles if they expect to sell units. The PS3 was such a slow seller because of the price point for the first few years, and while that wouldn't hurt Microsoft's bottom line when it comes to making money since they have it to burn, it would probably kill Sony completely and hurt their customer base.

1 person likes this.
  11. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I reckon the MS will concentrate on features more than power, they would want to release a console that pretty much does everything. Specs I can see it being near PC level but I really don't see them being a big jump this time around. MS do have an advantage with their Live service, that really helped them make profit on the 360 while they were selling it at a loss. Nintendo & Sony gamers seem less inclined to want to pay for such a service...well mainly because they get some of Lives features for free and seem ok to not want to pay for service that may be better.

I'm not sure where Sony can go from here, I thought they did well with the PS3 and while I liked the look of their exclusive titles more than the 360 ones, they may not have much appeal when it comes to the average consumer plus they're still trying to get the Vita through its initial stage. Again maybe they would want to go for features more than power.

This "next gen" could be won on features combined with good pricing. For me, what it does and what it is capable of the Vita is worth its asking price, I mean Sony even lose money on each handheld sold but the price is not good for even the hardcore gamers so great hardware specs my be sidelined this time around.

Something that did occur to me was how mobile phones and tablets are on the increase and how people are willing to spend so much on them. I'd doubt that people who pay £400+ on whatever hot tits iOS device would actually use all the features, all I see people do with them is watching and reading stuff on them. However more people can afford to own one because of monthly contracts, I can see Sony maybe taking up this business model. Pay monthly for PSN+ for two years and get a console on the cheap.

12. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    Sorry for the noob question, but do we know anything about this hardware? Like, is anything similar in any devices that we can compare it to? For a ballpark estimate of its power? The API and the processor I mean

13. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    You can't compare it to anything since they are modified versions of existing chips.
    Other than whats written above it has 1.5GB ram (3 for devkits), it's a tri core power7 architecture operating at 3 GHz, the firmware runs on a separate processor etc...
    But the thing is that there are many key pieces of information left out that make this very hard to judge and remember things like clock speeds mean absolutely shit since it's newer and much more efficient tech involved.

14. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    as long as games run at 1080p and excellent quality then u dont need to know more unless u are a homebrew dev. amd dominating the consoles once again.

15. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Didn't I hear it to be quad core or something?

1.5GB of RAM is a lot.

16. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    There are probably older rumors saying that, they aren't as credible as the leaked spec sheet though.

17. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    So a modern architecture (R700) with 32MB of eDRAM. Not bad.

18. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    WHY, would you want anti-alias 1080 p? ( unless you have a humongous screen at home )

19. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    ...So you don't see any jaggies?

20. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah we're talking output to TV screens here, not computers, so the PPI's a lot lower.