BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You! You from the future steps out of a time wormhole and hands you a single game box.
"I have to go but I give you this one game. Its from the future, but I want me to have it now!"

What game do you give yourself?
Will you give yourself a childhood favorite to play again, with no memory of? So you can enjoy it once again, with all the childlike wonder?
Do you give yourself a single sealed copy of a game you know will sell for tons of money if you hold on to it?
Do you give yourself a rom hack, a translation of a game in the future, a fan game that you want child you to fall in love with?

*You cannot gift yourself a console too, just the game. So if you give yourself a game for a console that isnt out yet, you are stuck with a game until that console exists in your past.

D

Deleted User

For myself, I'd probably give past me a USB Drive with a cracked copy of Sonic Mania. 10-year old me would've been really hyped for that.

Also, I know you said "no consoles," but sometimes I wonder what would happen if I took a low-end PC, traveled back to 1991 or so, and just let everyone freak out at the fact that it can essentially play all games (then) currently on the market.

Reactions: Chary and BORTZ

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For myself, I'd probably give past me a USB Drive with a cracked copy of Sonic Mania. 10-year old me would've been really hyped for that.

Also, I know you said "no consoles," but sometimes I wonder what would happen if I took a low-end PC, traveled back to 1991 or so, and just let everyone freak out at the fact that it can essentially play all games (then) currently on the market.
Yeah maybe that is an idea for a different thread but... I always wondered what my life would be like if in 2004 or something I handed myself a DS phat with a full load of roms, emus, music and movies. Or if you could send back a rasberrypi with a ton of games or something.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Sega Racing Collection featuring HD remasters of Virtua Racing (32X), Daytona USA 2001(Dreamcast), and Sega Rally 2(Dreamcast). Android is the platform but of course they've bothered to spend the two minutes it takes to include proper controller support (two minutes that most developers clearly can't spare...)

It's from the year 2025 so is compiled against Android Yoghurt and supports displays up to 12k, but happily is backwards compatible all the way down to 720p displays and Android Marshmallow so it conveniently can be run on almost all of the devices that I currently own.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I think Sonic Mania as said above is the best possible choice. There was nothing more than 5 year old Chary wanted, than another 2D Sonic game that was on the same level Sonic 3K was.

From a different perspective, perhaps I would go back and gift myself the original Fallout or Baldurs Gate, or any other such PC CRPG. They already existed when I was younger, but perhaps playing them at a younger age would have given me more of a predisposition to the genre itself.

D

Deleted User

woah, thats kinda trippy, imagine playing a game from the present and bringing it to the past, also i wonder more about that companies game, what would they do?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I would give 10 year old me a flash drive full of demoscene stuff, so I could get into it much earlier, hopefully so today I could make better music compared to what I can do right now.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

woah, thats kinda trippy, imagine playing a game from the present and bringing it to the past, also i wonder more about that companies game, what would they do?
Just imagine showing Super Mario Odyssey to someone who was already blown away by Super Mario 64. That would be quite a sight.

Or, better yet, show your average Smash Bros. from 2002 fan the trailer for Ultimate. I can't imagine what that might've felt like.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it doesn't really matter, but I was kinda interested in what real game that exists right now that you would travel back in time and give yourself. But the hypotheticals are fun too. Maybe post a real and one that doesn't exist yet?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The VR game that will inevitably end the human race.

This time with enough warning I might be able to program it such that I can fix it, if not I will send myself back with a copy so I can get started now.

Reactions: shaunj66

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I guess it doesn't really matter, but I was kinda interested in what real game that exists right now that you would travel back in time and give yourself. But the hypotheticals are fun too. Maybe post a real and one that doesn't exist yet?

I guess you could have worded the OP better... The first sentence, to me at lest, very clearly sets the scene that I, in the present, am witnessing a visit from my future self...

You! You from the future steps out of a time wormhole and hands you a single game box...

Reactions: BORTZ

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess you could have worded the OP better... The first sentence, to me at lest, very clearly sets the scene that I, in the present, am witnessing a visit from my future self...
Sure, I wasn't super clear. It's not a big deal, seeing what people would gift themselves hypothetically is cool too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries