a rant

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by corr0126, Feb 22, 2010.

Feb 22, 2010

a rant by corr0126 at 9:56 PM (834 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. corr0126
    OP

Member corr0126 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    so I've been following the whole video game hacking scene for a whole and while it’s cool and all to be able to chat with chip makers, game rippers,rom/game hackers and homebrew makers but to me it seems like they have the power do whatever they want so like if someone wants a game to be translated(lets say dragon ball origins for example) and there’s enough people that want the same game then the rom hacking group says no I want this game instead(lets say puppy town usa for example) and translate that game instead of the one that has the most requests after the translation group start working on the game(puppy town usa)and they give progress reports to let people know the thing are going and they say "we're at 90% the patch is coming soon"people being to gain interest in the game so then you read forum postings about how the compression method use is hard to decompress and how the games memory has dma so it hard to capture the some of the text that leaks in the memory and stuff like that and then the group stops giving updates and out of blue they release the patch and say its at"90%"but then when you apply it game gets really buggy and somehow they blame us who are just wait patiently and say that it’s our fault now they do the same thing with a bunch of other games and never finish them but the weirdest thing is when someone from the group says they are retiring they don't even know the first thing about retirement they are not 65yrs old also when you call them out on their failures they get really defensive (see link below and yes that’s me)I have no problems with the other areas of this scene just the rom hacking part I mean look I work for a software company in which I choose fix bugs and other problems and when my boss says these 12 company want this Japanese software translated in English I do it because it will better my portfolio I have friends that hacked and translated games before that now work for some big name video game companies anyway there my rant is over good day post your thoughts

scroll until you see my namehttp://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=188015&st=180

2. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG]

tl;dr but from what I gather you don't like that groups release buggy game translations? Most people who translate do it for a hobby/pleasure whatever, not a career, an imperfect patch isn't a huge problem, especially since the majority of the people who use the patch don't know 2% of what goes into it... if they did they wouldn't need the patch.

3. corr0126
    OP

Member corr0126 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG]
    I dont like groups that get half way done release a patch and never finish it

4. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    Cool Story Bro

5. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    it's hard to do something as tedious as translating games without any incentive. yeah sure at first the interest is there, but for something you're pouring time into and not reaping many (if any) rewards? you don't get any benefit from translating or hacking roms besides experience, at most its a few "thank you"s. the rest of the time you'll be getting people begging you to translate some other game.

6. saxamo

Member saxamo Spaaaaace!

United States
    Thank you for that public service.

Anyway Romhacking is not rocket science. If you get a bunch of buddies together and you want to translate an NDS game. There are tutorials on how to do it. Google it.

Also: [​IMG]

7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    No full stops -> unreadable.

Also, wall of text.

Don't go bitching on Noity, he's one of the best translators we have, if he doesn't finish a game it's because a translation comes out anyway, because it's impossible to translate any further, or because there's much more interesting games to be translated. Options can be combined.

8. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
  9. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Well, I can see where you're coming from on the whole translation thing.

It seems that more and more, people are saying "Hey imma translate this ultimate text-heavy game here, i will" to get everyone psyched up, when in reality they've only just begun to take a peek inside the ROM, and a few weeks later, say "u know what, im notta doit nemoar".

10. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I didn't read the wall of text, sorry.

but according to the answers :

Some translators are making rom translation more a hobby to understand and become better in romhacking (Noitora learned a lot), and even if the translation is stopped from "official retail release is out before the translation is finished" to "loose of interest", I'm happy they are sharing their work and people can take parts in the process, try betas or even menu hacks only etc.

Some other translator on contrary start a project and never release a single file until it is finished 101%, but knows what ? it takes years and years !!! look for Seiken densetsu 3, Radical Dreamers, Mother3 ! years and years, yeah. Translation is perfect for those, but the projects are from another level, more like a single project from a translation group.

These two translators type exists, I don't blame any of them, they all do it from their free time, and I'm thankful to that.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'd rather have a half translated game instead of one that's not translated at all.

It seems all these people are getting all uppity with the translators here. It's annoying. Translate a game yourself and then you can start bitching about other translators. Until then, shut yer yapper and keep yer opinion to yerself.

12. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    Heck I'm new to the scene and my very first attempt has already been critisized 28 times (downloaded patch 238 times as of today)
    Oh you need to do this oh can you fix that oh that not what it really says....
    I'm not complaining about the whining but If I had known about this stuff before It might not need fixing. So priorities at least for me - get the game to the minimum of playable and release patch
    wortk on the stuff I can later and fix any bugs that I can (thats 12 can you change this to thats done 4 hey when I play this and close my ds the game freezes (not my fault there before I translated), 12 hey that map needs to be fixed it should be this....)
    And after A month and a half of replaying the game from start to finish just to go through the F--king maps again (twice) once for the originals and once for the translated and not see what they are talking about (only one needed to be changed so far) has left me really tempted to pass my work on to someone else who might give a sh-t for the next person who tells you about a problem that isn't actually there...

This first project is just something I took up to practice for what I really want to translate not actually something I had a real interest in doing (I thought it would be easy with rom so neat and tidy),
    REALLY REALLY tempted to say the hack with this...

Cause Whats bugging me about this thread YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSES HOBBY WHEN ITS YOUR JOB TO DO BETTER THAN THIS ANYWAYS, AND WORSE YOU PROBABLY HAVE SOME NICE LEGAL software to work with
    sorry for the flaming but ahem
    SCREW YOU
    (i'll happily take any censuring for this post)

signed
    Shaking my head the entire time I wrote this

Edit Does this mean you will offer to help said buggy translations? if not like guild said shut yer trap
    its not like you cannot take off where they left off. jeez