A quick question re: root folders

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Cinemastique, Jun 10, 2009.

Jun 10, 2009
  1. Cinemastique
    OP

Newcomer Cinemastique Member

United States
    I'm wondering: is there a way to make root folders on the card accessible to programs that use them, but invisible to the interface? You can do that in Windows (system folders, etc), and it'd be helpful.

The reason I ask: so many homebrew applications and emulators require non-executable files or folders in the root directory, and it's SO MUCH CLUTTER. All I really want to look at are the executables. I've worked around this so far by just naming a folder "Applications" (which puts it at the top,) and just putting all my executables in there. It's pretty lame, though, having to click into a folder just to get everything I need in one place.

Is there a way to hide all the rom folders, system files, etc, that are cluttering things up?

2. leiger

Member leiger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Very easy, just open up the microSD in Windows (or any other OS) and make the files hidden. When you put that into the CycloDS it'll completely ignore them.

1. Insert microSD into reader, and reader into USB port on the computer
    2. Open microSD from My Computer, and right-click the file you want to hide
    3. Open properties, select 'hidden'
    4. Click OK. When it asks "do you want to hide just this file or all sub directories as well?" --> select 'just this file'

Although I haven't tried it, I believe the CycloDS ignores any files starting with a period (.) as well. Renaming things might make some of your homebrew apps stop working though, so I'd recommend you just make them hidden in Windows.

3. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    It's worth mentioning that that's not at all what "root folders" means. The root folder is the highest level directory on the device; in Windows, it's what you get when you double click the drive letter. The idea of hiding the root folder is patent nonsense.

4. leiger

Member leiger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    As of 1.55 Beta 3, there is a new feature allowing you to specify the folder you wish to start browsing at. Change it from the default to the one you want (default is microSD root), and you'll get exactly the effect you are looking for. You will need to edit the XML file to make the changes, so ask if you're not sure how to do that.