Gaming A not-so-positive impressions

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
JinTrigger said:
I think its a little to early to start reviewing the 3DS this hard....it isn't even out yet
Except that is the whole point of Nintendo's tour with the 3DS.
To allow people to review it to see if they want it for themselves.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hahaha, I knew this would come:

monkat said:
This guy's an idiot.
Schlupi said:
this review dickhead
awssk8er said:
this guy is just a little bit of a hater
QUOTE(Stevetry @ Feb 14 2011, 06:41 PM) a dumb person
QUOTE(Wizzerzak @ Feb 14 2011, 06:55 PM)
that guy is obsiously a hater

Some more impressions from the same guy:

Asphalt looks much worse in action than on screenshots (models are very low quality).
Resident Evil, on the other hand, looks exceptionally good.
Kid Icarus was probably running at 60 fps.
In some games there was noticeably better quality with 3D turned off.
The speakers were at least on par with DSi, definitively better than on DSLite.
The buttons (apart from the new ones) felt identical to the ones on DS.
The guy backs down from his impressions on SSFIV being similar to iPhone's version - he says it's definitively better & smoother, although still not matching Xbox360 version.

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really refreshing to hear a honest critique rather than some sycophantic blubbering about how awesome Nintendo is. This seems like one of the few reviews I can actually trust. I'm sure the 3DS will be great but I for one an disappointed that the graphics look to be PSP level. Even the PSP graphics are starting to look old at this point. All in all I'm sure it will be a nice system worth having and I'll buy one but I appreciate hearing the plus and minus points on any product.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fireballo said:
It's really refreshing to hear a honest critique rather than some sycophantic blubbering about how awesome Nintendo is. This seems like one of the few reviews I can actually trust. I'm sure the 3DS will be great but I for one an disappointed that the graphics look to be PSP level. Even the PSP graphics are starting to look old at this point. All in all I'm sure it will be a nice system worth having and I'll buy one but I appreciate hearing the plus and minus points on any product.
QUOTE(pachura @ Feb 14 2011, 09:30 AM) Graphics:
- some games were on PSP level, some on Wii level. Disappointing if graphics is your thing, especially that PSP is already 6 years old
If you think he telling the true, you should read the whole thing.
mellow.gif

D

Deleted-188346

I actually experienced the 3DS first hand at the Sydney event, and I completely disagree with this guys opinion.
He appears biased, and seems to be hatin' for the sake of hatin'.
After all, it's cool to hate what is popular.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puppy_Washer said:

Usually haters do not preorder the thing they supposedly hate
wink.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People seem to think that the 3DS is a god-tier device that will be perfect in every sense. I really doubt it will and this feels like a much more grounded approach to viewing it. He's not biased or a "hater", he's just saying what he saw, and honestly, I have a feeling most level-headed people will feel the same way.

I mean he gave plenty of positive aspects to it and criticized aspects that seem to make perfect sense.

Personally I just feel like the NGP has definitely won on the tech side (3D can't compensate for the more power and functions of the NGP) and seeing as the PSP had a strong library, I feel like the NGP will follow suit. The 3DS isn't a bad device, it's just not what I'd go for first at the store if the NGP is on the shelf.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Depending on what games the person was playing, he may very well have never been able to see a game pop out at him, because those games didn't implement such an instance. However, this alone is not enough to make me believe that the 3DS isn't capable of "popping out". I'm quite sure I've read a number of 3DS impressions telling of instances where objects on the 3D display appeared to pop out at the player, namely when playing Nintendogs+Cats and the Naked Sample.

Also, it's plainly obvious that the 3DS is substantially more graphically capable than the PSP in a number of areas. Once again, not all games are a great display of what the system can do (Ridge Racer is downright uuuuh-glee), but any seasoned, sensible gamer knows without doubt that the textures, models, and reflective/lighting effects that the Resident Evil 3DS titles boast simply wouldn't be possible on the PSP. Furthermore, comparing the 3DS version of Street Fighter IV to the iPhone version is just silly. For one thing, the 3DS version is far more faithful to the console versions in that it uses actual models for characters, unlike the iPhone version, which used sprites. (Also, physical controls help.)

I know the 3DS won't be the perfect, flawless handheld. I won't tout it as such. But this impression just seems downright scathing.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
People seem to think that the 3DS is a god-tier device that will be perfect in every sense. I really doubt it will and this feels like a much more grounded approach to viewing it. He's not biased or a "hater", he's just saying what he saw, and honestly, I have a feeling most level-headed people will feel the same way.

I mean he gave plenty of positive aspects to it and criticized aspects that seem to make perfect sense.

Personally I just feel like the NGP has definitely won on the tech side (3D can't compensate for the more power and functions of the NGP) and seeing as the PSP had a strong library, I feel like the NGP will follow suit. The 3DS isn't a bad device, it's just not what I'd go for first at the store if the NGP is on the shelf.
I agree. Remember OP is writing his own opinion. Opinion varies between each person. He was just writing his own account. 3D is rather a hit or miss, some people like it and some don't. That is why there is a slider for it. No need to call crap on OP.

In any review you should expect positive and negative aspect of it. 3DS is not perfect, but so is NGP. There is always pro and con about them.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've said it time and time again, give the damn thing a chance to get going before making yet another topic of rash and ill-informed statements. How many of these topics do we have now? The 3DS makes you go blind. The 3DS will be so rare you have to sell a kidney to get it. The launch lineup doesn't have exactly what I want therefore it fails because I'm the centre of the universe. SHUT THE HELL UP. The damn thing's not even out yet and I can't remember a single day in the last few weeks when I've come here and not see yet another topic like this. Let's look at the finer points, shall we?

- Complaining that a shooting game consists primarily of aiming and shooting. What the fuck were you expecting? For Pit to stop halfway for a barbeque, forcing a Cooking Mama style mini game mid-fight?

- Whining about graphics. It takes time for developers to draw out the full potential of the latest hardware. Graphics get much better over time. See the difference between early PS2 titles and later ones such as FFXII for proof. Secondly, is it really all that damn important? They're games. The focus is on fun and decent gameplay. If you want stunning visuals go watch the Ms World contest.

- The loss of focus. We've heard this time and time again as well, how the 3D is sketchy. I've used it and the 3D worked fine for me. I acknowledge this won't be the case for everyone but can we please stop moaning about the 3D effects until we've all seen them close up?

I hereby petition that any topics like this one which do not present substantial evidence to back up anything they say be marked as flamebait and purged. If you've got something to back up what you want to say, then go ahead. But if not, just keep quiet. We don't need this diahhritic flood of ill-conceived topics clogging up the front page any more, ok?

D

Deleted-188346

pachura said:
Puppy_Washer said:

Usually haters do not preorder the thing they supposedly hate
wink.gif
Hey, lol.
tongue.gif

I criticized the 3DS back in the E3 announcement days, where very little was known...yet I also acknowledged the 3DS's strong points. Also, my criticisms were worries, as opposed to negative views.
Now that we have confirmed information, my worries are gone!
biggrin.gif

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
People seem to think that the 3DS is a god-tier device that will be perfect in every sense. I really doubt it will and this feels like a much more grounded approach to viewing it. He's not biased or a "hater", he's just saying what he saw, and honestly, I have a feeling
most level-headed people will feel the same way.

Level-headed people don't compare the "definitive" version of Super Street Fighter IV with the half-arsed iPhone port of Street Fighter IV and say they're about the same. It's not a case of whether the 3DS is a god-tier device or not, it's simply a case of certain people never being pleased with anything and making bad comparisons to justify their disappointment.

QUOTEPersonally I just feel like the NGP has definitely won on the tech side (3D can't compensate for the more power and functions of the NGP) and seeing as the PSP had a strong library, I feel like the NGP will follow suit. The 3DS isn't a bad device, it's just not what I'd go for first at the store if the NGP is on the shelf.

Yet herein lies the problem... The NGP has truly pointless gimmicks like a touchscreen on the front AND back of the screen (what were they thinking? "That'll teach you Nintendo, we've one-upped you and your NDS now!!"?) that just make the thing far more expensive than it needs to be. So what could've been a $300 device that sits on the shelf all attractive and prettiful is actually going to cost about $500~$550 and will get shoved in the back of the store in preference for the much cheaper, much more popular and much better supported 3DS.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
Guild McCommunist said:
People seem to think that the 3DS is a god-tier device that will be perfect in every sense. I really doubt it will and this feels like a much more grounded approach to viewing it. He's not biased or a "hater", he's just saying what he saw, and honestly, I have a feeling
most level-headed people will feel the same way.

Level-headed people don't compare the "definitive" version of Super Street Fighter IV with the half-arsed iPhone port of Street Fighter IV and say they're about the same. It's not a case of whether the 3DS is a god-tier device or not, it's simply a case of certain people never being pleased with anything and making bad comparisons to justify their disappointment.

QUOTEPersonally I just feel like the NGP has definitely won on the tech side (3D can't compensate for the more power and functions of the NGP) and seeing as the PSP had a strong library, I feel like the NGP will follow suit. The 3DS isn't a bad device, it's just not what I'd go for first at the store if the NGP is on the shelf.

Yet herein lies the problem... The NGP has truly pointless gimmicks like a touchscreen on the front AND back of the screen (what were they thinking? "That'll teach you Nintendo, we've one-upped you and your NDS now!!"?) that just make the thing far more expensive than it needs to be. So what could've been a $300 device that sits on the shelf all attractive and prettiful is actually going to cost about $500~$550 and will get shoved in the back of the store in preference for the much cheaper, much more popular and much better supported 3DS.
I think that's called iTouch/iPhone Syndrome, or maybe just Apple Syndrome.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Okay, I regret on putting my first post about the aquarium like 3D.

I am going to type some things which are considered 'unreasonable' now so I hope for no nasty comments *fingers crossed*

SSF3D looking and pretty similar to iPhone version? From the video trailers, the players are fighting in a more realistic 3D environment and not two pieces of paper fighting on a 'small airfield' wallpaper (I'm not insulting the iPhone version though, it is still awesome). Plus with all of these SpotPass/StreetPass stuff, how can it be very similar?

Kid Icarus from videos is apparently far more than just shooting!

This guy who wrote this probably wrote it 1) in his own perspective 2) because he really didn't like the 3DS 3) he was a fan of sony or 4) he didn't even play the 3DS at all and just based it on that video I have 'posted' and trailers (this is far fetched)

Just my view though

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

No Guild, you're just so against it and underestimate it so much that when people praise it you make it out as if they're saying it's going to be the best system ever. I've read MANY of your posts about the 3DS and almost none of them good, you tend to have a large bias against the 3DS and hate it so much despite the fact that it hasn't been released yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: we are fucked