A new DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Dark, Sep 28, 2008.

Sep 28, 2008

A new DS by Dark at 12:31 PM (4,616 Views / 0 Likes) 46 replies

1. Dark
    OP

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    http://www.dsfanboy.com/

This is fairly huge, and fairly believable! Japanese business newspaper Nikkei posted an article describing features in an upcoming new DS model set for this year, designed with the intention of competing with the iPhone and other mobile devices. According to the article, the new hardware will include a camera and music playback functionality. The camera will be integrated into gameplay, which suggests that it may be more of a new system than an upgrade. It also features the ability to connect with "information terminals" to get location-sensitive information, which we know Nintendo has looked into. There's even more in the print version of the same article. It states that the device will cost less than 20,000 yen.

A removed article on the site Monex.co.jp (screenshot available at the NeoGAF link) said that the new DS will feature the ability to share data with the Wii via the SD slot, as well as larger screens.

We wonder what that Nintendo Media Summit is going to be about.

2. Dark
    OP

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/arti...sic_player.html

Nintendo plans to launch a new version of its popular DS portable gaming device with a camera and music player function, according to a report in the Sunday edition of The Nikkei Business Daily.

The new version will have better wireless capability for connecting to the Internet and will cost under ¥20,000 (US$189), the report said. It will be offered first in Japan, it said.

Nintendo was not immediately available for comment.

The company is scheduled to present an unnamed "new product" at a news conference in Tokyo on Thursday and speculation has been rife that it would be a new version of the DS.

The DS first went on sale in 2004 and a second version, called the DS Lite, debuted two years later in 2006. Both have sold extremely well with worldwide sales of the DS products at 77.5 million units as of the end of June this year.

In Japan, a total of 23 million of the devices have been sold in the country -- roughly one for every fifth person -- but in recent months sales have started to slow. In the April to June quarter Nintendo sold 580,000 units in Japan versus 2.1 million in the same period of 2007 so analysts have predicted a refresh of the DS might be coming to stimulate sales.

For the current fiscal year to the end of March 2009 Nintendo predicts it will sell 28 million units of the DS.

Posts merged

They are both the same but from 2 different sites.

3. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    same post in user news

4. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    aww damnit is it real cos i bought my ds a few days ago........................................... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Valkerion

Newcomer Valkerion Member

United States
    dont worry its all rumors as of now. Feature wise at least, im pretty sure we all expect afew more DS versions before they make the next handheld.

6. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    This has to be fake, this year! It has to be the worst time to release a new portable system, the DS is at it's peak , they've got games like GTA chinatown wars coming up, why would they release it now? If you asked me, the DS is probably about halfway through its' lifespan, there's loads of good games coming out next year too, releasing a new console would mean plummeting sales in this area of the market.

7. kennypu

Member kennypu GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wouldn't say a new console, just another DS generation. And its not all to suprising if they start releasing new consoles. Today, companies seem to be releasing new consoles or upgrades every five seconds..i mean look at Miro*oft, they're releasing windows 7 sometime soon already. xP

8. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    Yes, people need to search more.

9. Jerme

Banned Jerme Banned

United States
    the world is ending soon with the corrupt ass government and NWO n' stuff so nintendo should release that new gameboy if it is even real (forgot it's name)

10. Shardnax

Member Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's most likely more false information. Why care anyways, a new release won't hinder your ability to play DS games?

11. svnelvn

Newcomer svnelvn Advanced Member

United States
    nintendo should just release a miniature laptop the size of a ds, using touchscreen instead of keyboard
    it looks like the way nintendo is approaching anyway,

even at 500mhz, it'd be ownage and wipe out all other competitors

12. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    I wasn't aware that nintendo was afraid of the iphone [​IMG]

13. sjones900

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    Thats why they made the gba-m to compete with the iPod. It failed, miserably.

14. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    For most flashcard users, probably it will. [​IMG]

15. kennypu

United States
    i hope its something like this(probobly not):
    [​IMG]
    I like that concept, its nice

16. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    wow those look quite nice, but you must also consider functionality, there are no buttons at all! for example that mario kart one, how responsive would that touchscreen have to be and how sensitive? Imagine the frustration when you don't put enough pressure on the touchscreen and don't turn as a result, and wouldn't it also lead to a lot of broken touchscreens? (because you have to use your fingers)

17. kennypu

United States
    Yea i know -.-. One of the features they must, MUST have to put into the new ds is to be able to read more than one points/touches. this can lead to new innovative games that you have to touch 2 certain spots at the same time, or say in a rpg, be able to mix two things together(drag 2 seperate items togethero n touch screen), to make a new item like alchemy.

18. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I find the whole thing to be bazaar. Nintendo has often flat-out denied things, but for something this big, it just seems crazy they wouldn't tease it at this year's E3, especially if it's slated to launch at the end of the year.

We'll see, I suppose, but I'm not quite convinced just yet. [​IMG]

19. kennypu

United States
    According to a japanese news blog site, gigazine, they said that nintendo will probobly announce more info on the new ds, ofcourse if its false or not, and if it is real what features it will have, at nintendo's press conference/meeting on oct. 2. we shall wait -.-

20. jy2

Newcomer jy2 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Surely they just want to stop the current generation of flash cards from working?