Hacking A little help required....?

WiiBraithy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Wondered if anyone could help with some questions at all - I'm new to all of this and basically stuck at a point pondering my next move with my wii in bits in front of me!
hate2.gif

Story so far... Wii was bought from a friend with (ahem) backup games that eventually started to stop working, it was thought then the console had died or a problem maybe with the dvd drive as all discs were having read errors etc all the time - although OS was ok remembered it had been kicked over once or twice( I know it sounds bad, thought it may have been the issue ), but no problems in getting to home screen etc, just when loading games - so it got ushered into a corner and gathered dust for say 10 months?
rofl.gif
smile.gif

I eventually got bored of the ps3 and decided to start cleaning the drive, with that done the wii had updated to 4.3u or whatever (grrrr) also as I started messing around with testing variations - tried some backed up games, still no noy, same errors, but ok with originals.... bit of a result!
glare.gif

Tried reproducing imgburn backups fresh from the original img done by the same proven method (brickblock) etc as before but still errors on various different dvd medium as used before... seems to be update related, obviously
unsure.gif
smile.gif

So this is where i'm at - with an open wii to see what mess i'm in whether it was a hard or wii clip which it turns out to be the later. So far this is what i've got from my box:

Got a GC2-D2C
Running 4.3u
WiiClip Mod with D2Sun v2 i think but has JTAG support

My thought was, don't mind the soft mod option, thats fine and will do that at some point but for now is there a way that I can either say update the D2Sun thru JTAG to open it all up again so I can run the backups or do I need to go a completely different way about it? Say Wasabi??

Any help would be great, am not to bad with stuff generally but this seems like it could be costly say buying a new mod when it's not req'd.

Thanks forwardly,
B

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds to me like your Wii got updated and that's why your modchip doesn't work anymore, assuming you didn't do anything that would mess with your D2Sun. I know for a fact that 4.2 and 4.3 at least break a modchip's regionfree capabilities. Are your backups the same region as your Wii? If not, then that is most likely your problem.

WiiBraithy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Lacius,

Thanks for getting back so quick - Yes makes sense as some of the backups like you say were outside of region and no nothing done to the D2Sun up until I opened it up - wasn't aware that the updates locked down the region, only started reading all into it this morning and had a quick break
smile.gif

So with that then, is it ok to make a wild assumption (never good) and expect backups from within this region then to be ok (potentially?), or will the update have locked all backups out now?

I can check through the back cat of img's to find out what was/is within the region, checked lots already a while back, but I was mainly drunk and confused (trying to get it to work after the pub!) at the time
smile.gif

Just wondering where to go next with it though, would you suggest removing the wiiclip/d2sun then (go back to stock etc) look towards wasabi (or any you can suggest?) ... or maybe update via JTAG? Haven't read or found much yet around the JTAG option upto D2Sun V2 - V3 for instance.

Thanks again!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were you, I would follow this guide or use ModMii to install the Homebrew Channel onto your Wii. I would then install Priiloader, enable the hacks that allow for regionfree gaming, and see if your backups work again. I would also try running backups from my Wii's region and see if they work.

WiiBraithy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Its innevitable isn't it
smile.gif

Sounds good though -just thought whilst the box was open maybe leave it for now, order a newer revision(or fix) and go from there, but it does seem to be the only way so far.

Do you know much about the newer chips? Is it worth looking at that or leave for now do you think? Or better still remove the d2sun completely, go back to stock and go soft modding? Or leave in and soft mod? Seems you get more options with a good clip but can't see the point with leaving this one in...hmmm grrrr
smile.gif

Thanks for getting back though, can appreciate it being slightly annoying having to cover old ground!!

WiiBraithy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Decided to leave in in the end, wouldn't work otherwise right?
smile.gif

Will try the steps anyway once i get it back together in one piece! Thanks Lacius, may be asking for more help later!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBraithy said:
Is it worth looking at that or leave for now do you think? Or better still remove the d2sun completely, go back to stock and go soft modding? Or leave in and soft mod? Seems you get more options with a good clip but can't see the point with leaving this one in
Since your retail discs work, I see no reason to take the chip out. I'm not convinced yet that it isn't functional. Again, do you have any backups from your Wii's region that you could try?

After you install the Homebrew Channel, Priiloader, and the region-free hacks, check and see if your backups work. If they still don't work, try launching them with Gecko OS.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
As said check your own region backups first. No update should stop that chip booting backups, simple imports.
Leave the wii clip/d2sun alone and just softmod it.
Then when its softmodded you'll have the best of both. Can boot any disc from sys menu, but can also just fire up a usb loader where things are neater and tidier

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday