ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
As some of you may know I am trying to learn Japanese. I wanted game on the DS that I could play to help in my translation skills. I would prefer a game that isn't being translated already (Not like Imma be translating it for everyone else....well maybe)

EDIT - I just realized that this may be more appropriate for the DS Game forums....if the mods out there think so can it be moved.

bnwchbammer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Love Plus man, lots of dialogue. It is being translated, but it's been that way for a while. Perhaps when it's finally done you can check to see if everything was as you thought it was.

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I myself haven't played them, but perhaps Shining Force Feather or Sigma Harmonics? I'm assuming you were wanting something dialogue heavy to help with learning japanese, correct?

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
the kindaichi games, u could try them, lots of dialogues in there
smile.gif
and some of the puzzles required pretty good knowledge of the japanese language if not, u might fail the puzzles.

KevInChester

Trophies
XP
Country
Shining Force Feather has my vote too, good luck with the translation (not going to hold my breath, I know these things take ages, if completed at all).

Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou 2 is also a good candidate.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
What does the game being overlooked have to do with anything? If it's overlooked, the game is most likely bad (The reason for it being overlooked), so there could be errors in dialogue, the game itself, etc.

In my opinion, you should just find a Japanese game that you have access to an English version of, and play them side by side on an emulator, two DSes, or one with each...Compare the two while playing them at the same section in each, and compare the words.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What are you all basing your suggestions on? The important question to ask before just throwing out Japanese titles is, what is the OP's level of Japanese?

@JinTrigger: If you're just starting out with kanji, you should try any game that has furigana on the text so you can easily look up words you don't know in a dictionary. The Professor Layton series has furigana over all of the kanji, so you should definitely look into that.

Games like Pokemon are aimed at younger children and tend to have too little kanji for any meaningful gains in kanji literacy (if that is indeed your goal).

Text-heavy Japanese games with little to no furigana will be difficult if you don't know any kanji. You'll have to learn the SKIP method of counting kanji strokes in order to look them up. Or you could search for kanji online by radicals, but then you'd have to know how to recognize radicals.

At any rate, learning to count strokes and recognize radicals is a good thing to know anyway, so anyone serious about learning Japanese should learn how to do both.

In short, I would recommend any game with furigana to make looking up unknown words as simple as possible.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Juanmatron said:
Bzzt! Try again! That's not a game, but learning software, it isn't even in Japanese. And I already suggested it to JinTrigger.

Densetsu3000: Sigma Harmonics is quite fun and has furigana too, so there shouldn't be any real problem for the OP to understand everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how...