A good (possibly overlooked) japanese only DS Game

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by JinTrigger, Jun 11, 2010.

1. JinTrigger
    OP

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    As some of you may know I am trying to learn Japanese. I wanted game on the DS that I could play to help in my translation skills. I would prefer a game that isn't being translated already (Not like Imma be translating it for everyone else....well maybe)

EDIT - I just realized that this may be more appropriate for the DS Game forums....if the mods out there think so can it be moved.

2. bluejays

bluejays GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    hmm jap only game O.o would be the 4 heroes of light final fantasy.

3. bnwchbammer

bnwchbammer GBAtemp Fan

Mar 4, 2009
    United States
    Illinois
    Love Plus man, lots of dialogue. It is being translated, but it's been that way for a while. Perhaps when it's finally done you can check to see if everything was as you thought it was.

4. Maverick Lunar X

Maverick Lunar X GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    United States
    I myself haven't played them, but perhaps Shining Force Feather or Sigma Harmonics? I'm assuming you were wanting something dialogue heavy to help with learning japanese, correct?

5. JinTrigger
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    Yeah something with plenty of dialogue to help me to reach that goal.

6. mrfatso

mrfatso That guy!!

Apr 17, 2008
    Senegal
    @Your Home,behind the sofa
    the kindaichi games, u could try them, lots of dialogues in there [​IMG] and some of the puzzles required pretty good knowledge of the japanese language if not, u might fail the puzzles.

7. Maplemage

Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Sep 23, 2008
    Why would you care?
    pokemon......

8. Maverick Lunar X

Maverick Lunar X GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    United States
    If you're a fan of the anime, Shakugan no Shana DS. I'm pretty sure its another RPG/dating sim hybrid.

9. JinTrigger
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    @tails100
    Umm....overlooked and Japanese only

@Maverick Lunar X
    That Shining Force Feather looks pretty cool. I think I'll try that.

10. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    Even though it's already being translated (slowly), Xenosaga.

11. Juanmatron

Juanmatron Slater Color

Aug 5, 2008
    SEGA's World
  12. bluejays

bluejays GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    why not okami when it comes out =)

13. KevInChester

KevInChester GBAtemp Fan

Jul 29, 2009
    Shining Force Feather has my vote too, good luck with the translation (not going to hold my breath, I know these things take ages, if completed at all).

Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou 2 is also a good candidate.

14. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What does the game being overlooked have to do with anything? If it's overlooked, the game is most likely bad (The reason for it being overlooked), so there could be errors in dialogue, the game itself, etc.

In my opinion, you should just find a Japanese game that you have access to an English version of, and play them side by side on an emulator, two DSes, or one with each...Compare the two while playing them at the same section in each, and compare the words.

15. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    What are you all basing your suggestions on? The important question to ask before just throwing out Japanese titles is, what is the OP's level of Japanese?

@JinTrigger: If you're just starting out with kanji, you should try any game that has furigana on the text so you can easily look up words you don't know in a dictionary. The Professor Layton series has furigana over all of the kanji, so you should definitely look into that.

Games like Pokemon are aimed at younger children and tend to have too little kanji for any meaningful gains in kanji literacy (if that is indeed your goal).

Text-heavy Japanese games with little to no furigana will be difficult if you don't know any kanji. You'll have to learn the SKIP method of counting kanji strokes in order to look them up. Or you could search for kanji online by radicals, but then you'd have to know how to recognize radicals.

At any rate, learning to count strokes and recognize radicals is a good thing to know anyway, so anyone serious about learning Japanese should learn how to do both.

In short, I would recommend any game with furigana to make looking up unknown words as simple as possible.

16. Overlord Nadrian

Overlord Nadrian Banned

Banned
    Jul 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Riviera
    Bzzt! Try again! That's not a game, but learning software, it isn't even in Japanese. And I already suggested it to JinTrigger.

Densetsu3000: Sigma Harmonics is quite fun and has furigana too, so there shouldn't be any real problem for the OP to understand everything.