A Few Thoughts

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Sir G, Jul 30, 2010.

Jul 30, 2010

A Few Thoughts by Sir G at 8:09 PM (1,398 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Sir G
    OP

Newcomer Sir G Member

United States
    Perhaps this should go in the supercard section, but because it is also homebrew, I will put it here. If one pleases

move this topic.

Sirs, my goal is to irritate no one and to simply offer suggestions. I am in no way pressuring anyone to do anything, I am

simply offering thoughts for a sir who is perhaps already hard at work.

I know many things, but I may be incorrect or unsure of certain facts, so please correct me if you know the facts.

Regarding the DS Two, the processor is powerful enough to emulate N64 based on its speed. The PSP has Daedalus, which can

run many games at an acceptable speed. Therefore, based on speed alone, the supercard could have an N64 emulator coded for it.

The amount of RAM available is also helpful, because perhaps most N64 ROMs are small enough to fit inside the RAM of the DS Two.

I have no idea what the largest N64 ROMs clock in at, I am just guessing. This allows for faster read times. Therefore, based on

processor and RAM, the DS Two can have an N64 emulator. I do not know anything about processor architecture, but I have heard it

mentioned before, so perhaps a 360 mHz ARM ( I believe that is what the DS Two uses) is not as powerful as what the PSP uses. But,

on the DS, fellows always worry about the buttons. Even if the DS Two is powerful enough, the DS does not have enough buttons to

emulate N64, right? Sir G has a solution to this problem. N64 games almost never make use of all of the buttons on the controller

due to the difficulty of holding it and using all of the buttons at the same time. Therefore, if a setting could be made to use the buttons

in the three different N64 positions, where you could set it to left, right, or main, all of the buttons could be emulated. On the right

position, either A, B, X, and Y could be used for the C buttons, and start and select could be A and B, or A and B could be A and B and

start and select could be two C buttons. In this arrangement, the N64 has one more button than the DS, but if only start was on the

touchscreen, it would not be much trouble. L could be Z and R would just be R. In main position, this same setup would work, but

the control pad would simply be the control pad. In left position, the control pad could be mapped to the control pad and the control

stick could be mapped to the A, B, X, and Y buttons, or preferences could be set to flip that. R would be Z and L would just be L.

I had to get this thought out here sirs, so if perhaps a genious decides to make an N64 emulator, that genious would not be

discouraged by the buttons.

I hope that I help a sir down the line.

2. Sir G
    OP

Newcomer Sir G Member

United States
    Could a sir please refer this topic to Team Possible on the supercard forums? They appear to be the geniouses that

will first create an n64 emulator for DS Two and I believe that perhaps this could help them. Thank you. I would

do it myself, but I do not know how to set up an account to become a Sir G of the Supercard forum, so if some fellow

could help me (and perhaps Team Possible) out, it would be appreciated. Please do not flame me sirs, I am not demanding

that someone do something, I am simply suggesting.

3. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I will be surprised if this actually is developed. You should know more facts about the N64. The largest rom size is 512Mbit (64MB). It's processor is clocked at 93.75mhz. The DS's processor is clocked at 99mhz.

4. Ziggy Zigzagoon

Member Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    I think the Touc screen shall emulate the Controll stick and the C Buttons.

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    @Sir G: Are you one of the "Team Komka" members?

Anyway... Normmatt's already answered why there will never be a N64 emulator on the DS or SuperCardDS Two:
    http://gbatemp.net/t243688-team-komka
    http://gbatemp.net/t244270-n64-emulator-for-dstwo

6. Sir G
    OP

Newcomer Sir G Member

United States
    Sir twiztidsinz, I am not a sir of team Komka. Not to be rude to the earlier sir, but the DS's processor is

actually clocked at 67 mhz and the DS Two was what I was speaking of. To the sir who says the control stick and

c buttons should be on the touchscreen, consider that it would perhaps be very difficult to program something like that.

I say perhaps because I am not sure. It would not be necessary considering the fact that the N64 never (or perhaps almost

never) had all of its buttons used at once. That is all sirs.

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Sir you sir are sir missing sir the sir point sir.
    Sir the sir DSTwo sir does sir not sir have sir a sir GPU sir and sir what sir is sir on sir the sir DS sir is sir nowhere sir near sir enough sir for sir N64 sir processing sir.

Sir.

8. Zaertix

Member Zaertix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Also, you cannot map to the touchscreen that I know of. I thought I read somewhere that it would take something that we do not have a library or something, (yet again I do not know if I read it correct or where I read it, just using them ol' memory banks that tend to fail)

-Z

9. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Sir you sir are sir missing sir the sir point sir.
    Sir the sir DSTwo sir does sir not sir have sir a sir GPU sir and sir what sir is sir on sir the sir DS sir is sir nowhere sir near sir enough sir for sir N64 sir processing sir.

Sir.

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    You could map the touch by making your own gui, you could make so if you touched a certain spot it will have the the same command as the up button in the application. I'd focus more on running a n64 game first though as I still think it's highly unlikely and would be waste of time setting up controls for something that wouldn't work.

10. liquidnumb

Member liquidnumb GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Clock speed is not everything,

11. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah but it does help.

12. Sir G
    OP

Newcomer Sir G Member

United States
    Sirs, you are all so polite [​IMG]

Anyway, sir who used sir many times in his post, when I began this topic I stated that

I was not sure if an N64 emulator would be possible, and I was simply throwing out an idea

for the controls so that no buttons needed to be on the touchscreen. Now that I know for sure

that the processor on the DS Two is not the right processor to emulate N64, this topic is no

longer necessary. If a fellow would like to emulate N64, they would need to simply buy a PSP

or an iPhone. To the sirs running this forum, this topic should be closed. Thank you.

13. EpicJungle

Member EpicJungle stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy

Canada
    I laughed.

Sir.