A Few Questions

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by ionblaster9, Aug 5, 2009.

Aug 5, 2009

A Few Questions by ionblaster9 at 11:55 AM (935 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. ionblaster9
    OP

Newcomer ionblaster9 Newbie

United States
    I was recently considering buying the M3 DS Real and had a question.

It seems to me that you need a ROM to apply cheats to a game you own. (Feel free to correct me)
    If this is true, how do I create a ROM image from my cartridge? ( I don't want to download and use an illegal ROM)

Thanks,
    Ionblaster9

2. rooker

Newcomer rooker Member

Canada
    If you want cheats just get an Action Replay DS from Best Buy.

3. ionblaster9
    OP

United States
    I want the cheats, and I also want home-brew content.
    Thanks,
    Ionblaster9

4. Archimdae

Member Archimdae GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you want to stay 100% legal then you can't use a rom at all. Not one ripped yourself, or one downloaded.

Her is a site with a lot of information if you feel like reading about it: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/EmuFAQ2000/AppendixB.htm

Here is a quick example:

Atari, Inc. v. JS&A Group, Inc. 597 F.Supp. 5 (N.D. IL, 1983)

JS&A Group were the vendors of a cart dumper called the "PROM Blaster" for Atari 2600 videogames. It was a device designed to allow its operators to dump the object code from within the ROMs of an Atari 2600 videogame cartridge. Atari sued JS&A for contributory copyright infringement of its proprietary videogame software. JS&A argued that archival copying was permitted under copyright law (17 USC 117), so the purpose of a cart dumper constituted "substantial non-infringing use." The court found that a computer program embedded within a piece of hardware, such as the ROMs used within a typical videogame cartridge, cannot be reprogrammed or erased. As such, it was contained within a form of storage media designed to permanently preserve the program. JS&A's contention that cart dumps protected the actual cartridge against possible physical harm (and thus the program embedded inside) might also be applied to other forms of physical media, such as phonograph records and books. Since copyright law did not allow for this practice in regard to these and other such forms of physical media (photocopying a book, physically duplicating a phonograph record), they likewise did not apply to the practice of archiving computer programs embedded within a piece of hardware. The archival exception for computer software did not apply to programs stored within permanent storage media (in this case a videogame cartridge) because these forms of media are not subject to the sort of risks that the archival clause was designed to guard against. As a result, the court ruled that dumping a videogame cartridge for archival purposes is not covered by the archival clause of copyright law.

Alright quick is relative but anyway, from what I understand there is no legal way to backup your games and everything contrary to this is just rumor and people trying to justify their copying.

And like rooker said get a action replay, any way you use copyrighted roms is illegal. That is if you want to be 100% legal.

Take care,
    -Archi

5. ionblaster9
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the reply.
    I still have yet to make a decision on what I should get, but this was very helpful.
    Thanks!
    -Ionblaster9

6. emphy

Newcomer emphy Member

Netherlands
    Just a quick correction to this: If you have a DS with a GBA slot (i.e. not a DSI), this is not true.
    You can use a GBA flashcard with flashme/passme, and use GBA movie player to dump ROMS.
    I'll leave finding out how to do that up to you, but a few minutes of googling gave me more than enough information. As for the legality: it depends on your local laws; lots of places where this is legal. I personally feel that it's totally OK to pay for a game, dump it, and to put it on a flashcart with the rest of the games you own - even if it's not legal wherever you are.

Archimdae: Please check the facts before you post [​IMG]

7. Archimdae

Member Archimdae GBAtemp Regular

United States

Umm I'm not quite sure what your saying here, just because you CAN dump a game using a GBA slot on the DS doesn't make it any less Illegal. Dumping, Ripping, it's all the same thing and it's all illegal if it's copyrighted material.

Also if I'm not mistaken, these cases are not local cases, they are Federal cases. So if you live in the United States, it is illegal to have, use, make, download, etc. any sort of Rom, Dump, or copy of a DS game that is copyrighted (which should be pretty much every single one except homebrew).

Again I'm not sure what facts your saying I should check, it doesn't matter HOW you get a dump of a game, it's still illegal.

-Archi

8. cngamemart

Banned cngamemart Banned

China
    if you make a decision,here you may go

9. aphirst

Member aphirst "Aren't girls with pee-pees just men?"

Germany
    If you're after running cheats on genuine game cards, while being able to run homebrew; why don't you get a flashcart and then run NitroHax on the flashcart? It's an ARDS Clone. [​IMG]