A few questions on No-IP

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Aijelsop, Oct 18, 2011.

Oct 18, 2011

A few questions on No-IP by Aijelsop at 8:14 PM (621 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    So I have a Minecraft server. I have a Dynamic IP. My IP changes seriously every 2-3 days. It's annoying to give my friends the IP every few days. I won't use Hamachi.

So, here are my questions:

Instead of a normal IP (ex: 128.0.0.1) to connect, I can have a No-IP.com address? (ex: myserver.no-ip.com) My IP will never be shown to the public?

Does it auto-update my real IP for my No-IP? Like, I won't have to change my IP every 2-3 days in the No-IP program?

I know there's a support section on their site, but I'd rather have real people explain to me how this stuff works. As you know, FAQ's never have what your looking for. :P

2. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Your IP will still "be shown to the public", but why are you concerned about this? Let's just say it was paradoxically "hidden", then your dynamic DNS would still point to your server and thus any data sent to the dynamic DNS would be sent to your server.

For the rest of your questions, see the thread you made a month and a half ago.

3. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    Well, I don't want my IP shown public, because of geotargeting IPs. People with my IP could find out exactly where I live. If you don't believe me, try it yourself: http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=geo+ip+locater
    Using one of the links, and my IP, I found out my host name, exact location, my postal code, city, state. Is that not stalker-ish to you?

Also, even though this would most likely never happen, DoS attacks. I'm sure there are people who go around IP sharing sites (like minecraft server sharing sites) and find random IPs to DoS attack.

4. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    You seem to have missed the point I was making: since your dynamic DNS points to your server, anything directed at your dynamic DNS is directed to your server.

What this means is that people will get the very same result if they type in your IP in a geolocation service as they will if they type in your dynamic DNS. If someone fires a DoS attack to your dynamic DNS address, the traffic is directed to your server, not somewhere else. This is because your dynamic DNS leads to your IP. There's no "never be shown to the public" involved.

5. Aijelsop
    OP

United States
    I think I get it now. Basically the only use for No-IP for me, would to be not having to give my friends my new IP every few days.
    I kinda want to post my IP out to the public, currently it's shared by me, my brother, and 2 of my friends... Gets kinda boring. How unsafe would it be to post it online? (example: http://www.planetminecraft.com/)

6. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    It wouldn't be very unsafe to post online, people are less susceptible to attacks than say 10 years ago. Your router will likely be enough protection. Just don't do anything stupid, like spamming another larger server with your IP.

(Best thing about dynamic IP w/ dynamic DNS is that you can effectively null-route the whole thing, just by changing your dynamic dns to point elsewhere, and resetting your router's IP).

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Hell, I could put an image in my signature that'd record the IP of everybody that'd view it.

Real life isn't CSI, an IP doesn't magically let you hack shit.

8. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you are really paranoid about having your IP shown, then you are going to have to have your server hosted else where, there is no way around it. Just because you use a domain name instead of an IP address does not make the IP address hidden. You can get the IP address of domain names quite easily.

BTW, my IP is 70.126.70.9, come at me bros.

9. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I use No-IP for my minecraft server and it works exactly as you want. Only problem is my router would keep re-assigning me a different internal IP, thus ruining my port forwarding rules, so my server would go down. I Have since fixed the issue.

But, for example, my server IP that I give to my friends is something along the lines of [a username].[a domain name].com (because I really only want my friends coming on the server)

10. epicCreations.or

Member epicCreations.or GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just buy a VPS or use Dynamic DNS, though that doesn't mask your IP. :P

11. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I AM HACKING YOU AS WE SPEAK USING YOUR IP WHICH PROBABLY POINTS TO A NAT BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER, OMG HAXXORS! (Seriously though, I actually logged IPs for a day that using this script I wrote. As a proof of concept, of course).
    And the image part would be something like this, it would be horribly slow though