A few questions about CFW

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by TheWave, Sep 4, 2009.

Sep 4, 2009

A few questions about CFW by TheWave at 5:49 PM (1,709 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. TheWave
    OP

Newcomer TheWave Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Ok, I'm planning to install CFW m33 on my psp. Looking at this, it seems it's really easy. But before I do, I have a few questions.

1. I currently have OFW 5.51 (I just HAD to play Dissidia demo!), can I still install CFW on my psp?
    2. You install the CFW with a Magic Memory Stick. But after installing CFW, do you still have to use the Magic MS, or do you have to use a clean one? Or can you just delete the files or format the Magic MS and use it as a normal stick again?
    3. The latest CFW version of m33 is 5.00. This is the same as OFW 5.00, right? So any game or program that need to run above OFW 5.00 can't be run on CFW m33 5.00, right?
    4. I use a phat psp, so I guess I'll need to buy a second phat battery just in case. However, how rare are phat batteries nowaday?
    5. What's better to use, a SanDisk 4GB Memory Stick or a SanDisk 8GB Memory Stick?

Thanks for the help.

2. djricekcn

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    1. I currently have OFW 5.51 (I just HAD to play Dissidia demo!), can I still install CFW on my psp?
    Depends on what kind of PSP you have.
    2. You install the CFW with a Magic Memory Stick. But after installing CFW, do you still have to use the Magic MS, or do you have to use a clean one? Or can you just delete the files or format the Magic MS and use it as a normal stick again?
    You also need a Pandora/Tool Battery. You also need a PSP that works with these exploits. There's a way to do it on the newer board PSP, but I'm not sure if it works for all firmware versions
    3. The latest CFW version of m33 is 5.00. This is the same as OFW 5.00, right? So any game or program that need to run above OFW 5.00 can't be run on CFW m33 5.00, right?
    The latest CFW is GEN-B, 5.00 m33-6 is Dark Alex's latest. It's pretty much 5.00. Yes
    4. I use a phat psp, so I guess I'll need to buy a second phat battery just in case. However, how rare are phat batteries nowaday?
    Official Sony ones are hard to come by, you don't need a second battery unless if your battery is dying
    5. What's better to use, a SanDisk 4GB Memory Stick or a SanDisk 8GB Memory Stick?De
    Depends what you're going to do, but if just for homebrew, 4gb is plenty. just make sure it's magic gate capable

3. TheWave
    OP

Netherlands
    1. I use a phat psp.
    2. I know, I just want to know what you must do with the Magic MS after installing CFW.
    3 - 5. Thanks.

4. blueskies

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You only need the MMS once to install CFW, once it's installed, it's installed and you can use the stick how you see fit. Some people keep it around as a backup in case something goes wrong, because if your psp bricks or freezes, chances are you won't have another adapter, besides the psp, to load the mms data on the card.

5. TheWave
    OP

Netherlands
    Ah, I see, thanks for the info.

Well, the very last info that's still not really answered, can I install CFW on my phat 5.51 OFW psp?

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Yes, on any PSP 1000 on 5.51 you can install CFW onto it by using a Pandora battery and a Magic Memory stick (easily made by various GUI's)

7. TheWave
    OP

Netherlands
    Ok, thanks a lot guys!

8. Plastron

Newcomer Plastron Member

United Kingdom
    But 5.50 is the highest CF there is at the momnet

9. issy12

Member issy12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    lucky you i'm so jealous i really want to use some homebrew apps on my psp but my psp's unhackable at the moment [​IMG] good luck on hackin your psp and have fun!

10. TheWave
    OP

Netherlands
    Alright, I bought an extra Phat battery. However, it seems it's slightly different than the battery I got with the Phat PSP. It does fit and it seems to work (it's now charging). But on the new battery there's written that it's 3600mAh. On the old one is 1800mAh written. The rest is the same. What is the difference between these two mAh values, and which battery should I hardmod into a pandora battery and which one should I keep as a regular battery?

11. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I think it means it has a higher capacity, but I wouldn't bet on it. Very rarely do third party batteries have the capacity they claim.

12. TheWave
    OP

Netherlands
    Ah, I see. So that means it's better to mod the new battery and keep the old one as a regular one? Or doesn't it really matter, since they're most likely exact the same?

13. Spartan117H3

Member Spartan117H3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Depending on where you got your battery and if it's official or not, I've heard people buying batteries claiming to last "30 hours" etc, but once they get the actual battery, it lasts 3 hours, one hour less than the origional battery.

You can always try and time how long you can use the new battery and compare it to the old battery, just make sure you're doing the same thing so you don't get biased results. I personally don't trust third party batteries.

I'd reccomend buying an actual Pandora battery for 6-7 dollars just because it's better than having a battery "explode" in front of you if you screw up. That and it's easier.

14. TheWave
    OP

Netherlands
    Well, I just charged both and looked at the remaining time on the psp. Of course the psp is not acurate, but it gives an idea at their condition.....

Old battery(1800mAh): c.a. 6.5-7 hours (it's kinda balancing there)
    New battery(3600mAh): c.a. 5 hours.

Spartan: I know, but I can't buy stuff online due overprotective parents..... That, and I'm a very careful and precise person, so I think I won't screw up that easily. Most likely I'm either getting too afraid and just not do it or taking too much time to make the Pandora battery (sometimes I take a half day for something that can be done in 5 minutes).
    Oh and it's an unofficial, it doesn't have a Sony brand on it. Not even a word of it, unlike the old battery.

15. Spartan117H3

United States
    Hmm, I'd say the unofficial one. Assuming your overprotective parents let you buy a soldering iron, cut up a battery and go against all warnings on just about every battery ever made, etc etc rather than spend 6 bucks on a battery.

I guess you have to do what you have to do, you can always try to explain to your parents the benefits of buying rather than making and try to argue that you're "risking your life" if you cut into the battery or something along those lines.

I hope you've had some soldering projects of some sort? It's not that hard but it is useful depending on what guide you use as I've seen some guides that require it and some that don't.

16. nico445

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    you can search on marktplaats for pandora battery's there are people who sell them for about 10 euro's.
    dealextreme.com is the cheapest but you need paypal.

17. Spartan117H3

United States
    Theres nothing wrong with PayPal. I already told him DX. Also, he already said that his parents were "overprotective".

18. TheWave
    OP

Netherlands
    Yeah, my parents are kinda weird when it comes down with their protection. Oh well. Doesn't matter, I get around my stuff.

And yeah, I have the soldering stuff somewhere. It's old, but never used, so it SHOULD work. But I think I use that guide from anime_junkie in this faq.

EDIT: Okay, I opened the new battery, and guess what? It's literally a chunk of metal inside. There's a metal block with (a part?) the chip sticked VERY tightly (with something that likes like glue or something....) to it. And it's different that the pics of the faqs, since the chip is stickied UPSIDE-DOWN on the metal block, and not with the chips up like most phat battery pics show. So yeah, this is different than the pics I see in the faqs. So now what?

EDIT 2: Okay, nvm my questions anymore. I found out I bought the 3.6v 3600 mAh Model PSP-360 Battery. And according to this wiki article it seems it's a fake battery and thus not modable.

19. Spartan117H3

United States
    Oh that sucks. Are you going to mod your origional battery? You should have looked at that guide before buying your battery, at least now you know which battery to buy depending on if you decide to mod the origional or buy another.

If you can find a confirmed new official battery, I would mod the old official battery just because it's been used so the battery life is a little lower than that of a new battery. If not, just mod your origional and close up the fake battery.

20. TheWave
    OP

Netherlands
    Yeah, the thing is, the only shop that sells psp batteries seems to only sell this type of battery. I guess I'll just mod the old one....