A dumb idea about digital OoThax that might work

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by CeeDee, May 22, 2016.

1. CeeDee
    OP

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    If you or someone else you know has OoT3D or PSMD as both a cartridge and a digital copy, you could (possibly) install the *hax on a physical copy then use Nintendo's save transfer tool to transfer the *hax save to the digital version.
    I mean, it's not too useful, but it's cool if you have a friend with one of the games digitally and you don't want to just give them your cart or something.

I dunno.

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    When I get a copy of oot I'm going to see what happens just for fun. But it most likely won't work. but again, Ima try it once I get mine

3. Ricken

Ricken So long, and goodnite / So long, not goodnite

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    If something like Tubehax was found for the tool, OoT3D, SMD, V6, and Citizens would all practically be standalones

4. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Just tried it out, and it seems to work. It does however clear the save off the cartridge, so you'd then have to re-hax the OoT cartridge for your own uses.

I also can't be 100% certain it would work on an un-modded console, since I'm running a9lh w/ Luma. But I don't think it has any patches for the save transfer process.

5. Ev1lbl0w

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    Well, it works, but if you think about it, it's kind of useless. If someone gets the retail version, why copy the save data when you can already use the card?

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I thought this was common knowledge.
    And yeah, I did it a couple months ago. Works as you would expect.

7. Dylan the Tactician

Dylan the Tactician GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    United States
    Denied
    Quessssstionnnn
    is there any possible way we might be able to get a payload stuck in the transfer tool
    as in a game has a custom payload installed in the save data, then initiating the transfer actually loads said payload while attempting to transfer it

Just an idiot talking here, this likely isn't possible, but I felt like asking for... I don't know why.

8. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Probably not. I'd imagine that the transfer tool just reads the raw save as any other tool like JK's save manager or SDF would (not taking into account encryption). The reason the PSMD hax works is because of a bug in the zlib decompression code. Oothax has something to do with actually loading the save as well.

9. Pikm

Pikm Thy Lord and Savior

Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    Delaware
    If you have hax on a physical cart you can just use the oothax installer, which makes this idea obsolete.

FenrirWolf, GizmoTheGreen and CeeDee like this.
  10. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2009
    or you could just use svdt or something to copy the save from cart to into the systems installed one.

note to op: which would be even better than official tool, since this could let you keep your friends original save. (you can selectively copy the saveslot you need as they're different files "inside" the savedata, while the official tool would probably just overwrite the whole thing with whats inside the cart)

Last edited by GizmoTheGreen, May 23, 2016