Hacking A ? concerning the infamous gold dot

Swifteye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hokay, so...supposedly dealextreme (the site i recently ordered my dstt from) handchecks their products now to check for the gold dot before shipping. I don't feel reassured by this, and expect it is still possible to receive a ''fake'' dstt. My order should be here within the next few days and i was wondering, in the event that i do get one of those friggin gold dots, would i be able to simply use the new dstt adv menu or something else such as yasu's on it? because i really dont want to have to ship it back and wait another month for a replacement, and i REALLY dont want to use the official menu and have that firmware thingy permanently destroy my card. so yea, do you guys think the other available menus would work okay? of course, i may not even get a gold dot card, but id like to be prepared in the event that i do. thx for any help!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. The current firmware (1.15) won't harm a "gold dot" DSTT. The threat was that a future version of the firmware might harm fakes (and possibly your microSD card if used in a fake).

2. If you get a fake from dealextreme.com (which is unlikely since they are aware of the fakes), tell them and they will replace it with a non-fake one. They should even pay for return shipping.

-Bri

Swifteye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay thx guys. but i just got my top toy today and theres no dot or anything so im pretty pumped. im settin it up rite now, i hope nothing goes wrong lol. o yea i have one more question, i heard certain save files dont work or become corrupted and usually renaming them fixes it but i forget, do i change the file to .sav or .SAV?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The ".sav" needs to be lowercase. The problem is for ROM's that have 8 or fewer characters in the basename, and have a space in the name. For example, "Contra 4.nds" will create an imporper save file.

I believe that if you're able to rename the file from "Contra 4.SAV" to "Contra 4.sav", it will then work. You can also just remove spaces from the .nds filename, for example "Contra4.nds" and it should create a proper save file.

-Bri

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have had the .sav issue that Bri described a couple of times. 'sav not found' error or something similar.

It has always been short file names (less than 8 characters in the name, not counting the '.nds' file extension) that have caused it.
I've played lots of games with spaces in the name with no problems at all.

Renaming the extension from .SAV to .sav has always fixed the issue for me. Now when I see a short filename I just add something to it to make it longer before copying it over (less hassle than having to rename the save after running the game once).

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem is with files that have BOTH 8 or fewer characters AND have a space in the name. Short names without spaces shouldn't be a problem.

-Bri

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the clarification Bri, apologies for missing what reads so clearly now. : )

So the best workaround would be to just remove spaces from the file name, rather than add unnecessary characters.

I don't mind the menu/OS overall, but a fix for this would be nice if an update ever does come....

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Count Duckula, actually it didn't read quite as clearly before. I edited it thanks to your confusion!

I agree that it should be fixed, but frankly being able to sort ROM's would be much more useful and they haven't fixed that, so don't hold your breath on this one either!

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water